Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sandi Toksvig, really ? They must've been on drugs !!!

Thinker

Apr 12, 2011
i read this thread-and like twinkle toes-my blood boiled so i took time to calm myself.unfortunately it hasnt worked as my initial thought is still the same...
you bunch of absolute pricks.i am so sick of reading such offensive hateful crap.i thought this was a football forum and was the reason i have regularly read and at times commented on threads.like twinkletoes i have watched over time as the hatred on here has increased-all in the name of 'banter'.sexual assault ISNT banter and shouldn't be treated as such.
the level of hatred generally -for women,lgbt,other cultures,people with disabilities on here is shameful-however in my experience of regularly reporting to moderators on this site in the past,little is done to eradicate it-only more so regarding issues when the police have had some input.so-well done boyz-anti-lesbian and pro-sexual assault all at once-i forget-thats what 'real men' have to joke about to keep women in their place.
absolute pricks.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Yeah, let's all make fun of someone who claims to have been abused because we don't think she's attractive. Afterall, it's not really abuse if it's to ugly people. They should just be grateful someone is paying attention to them.

:facepalm:
:thumbsup:

i read this thread-and like twinkle toes-my blood boiled so i took time to calm myself.unfortunately it hasnt worked as my initial thought is still the same...
you bunch of absolute pricks.i am so sick of reading such offensive hateful crap.i thought this was a football forum and was the reason i have regularly read and at times commented on threads.like twinkletoes i have watched over time as the hatred on here has increased-all in the name of 'banter'.sexual assault ISNT banter and shouldn't be treated as such.
the level of hatred generally -for women,lgbt,other cultures,people with disabilities on here is shameful-however in my experience of regularly reporting to moderators on this site in the past,little is done to eradicate it-only more so regarding issues when the police have had some input.so-well done boyz-anti-lesbian and pro-sexual assault all at once-i forget-thats what 'real men' have to joke about to keep women in their place.
absolute pricks.
As it happens, no-one has reported any post on this thread to the moderators. But, if someone had, what would be the most effective action to take? A quick condemnation from an individual moderator and the thread closed down? Or - what we have seen above - an opportunity for thoughtful counter arguments to be formulated by a range of people who have reason to challenge the knuckle-headed opinions that offend them. In my opinion, NSC is at its best when robust arguments flourish. They might even give some people reason to rethink their attitudes.

Thinker

Apr 12, 2011
As it happens, no-one has reported any post on this thread to the moderators. But, if someone had, what would be the most effective action to take? A quick condemnation from an individual moderator and the thread closed down? Or - what we have seen above - an opportunity for thoughtful counter arguments to be formulated by a range of people who have reason to challenge the knuckle-headed opinions that offend them. In my opinion, NSC is at its best when robust arguments flourish. They might even give some people reason to rethink their attitudes.

i wasn't referring to this thread-just countless others around hatred-little is ever done.it's not a problem-as is usually the answer-i guess i'll just have to not bother with the site anymore.you know-sometimes there is no place for debate on such issues-some things are just wrong.
ps-hands up all those on here who have been sexually assaulted think this thread a 'robust debate'?

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
My condemnation of this thread was not really about Miss Toksvig but about how looks play such a big part in how people, and men in particular, judge the opposite sex. Perhaps I'm alone in finding conversation and wit attractive. I'd rather date a someone who is fun to be with than a ravishing beauty who has nothing to say. It's not an age thing either as I've always felt this way. As for Miss Toksvig I think she was very brave to come out with these revelations and she doesn't deserve to be berated by the injudicious posters on here.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Personally, and I know I'm being a right grumpy pants here, butI don't find sexual assault claims by a named individual that funny. Carry on though, anyone got any April jokes?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I really enjoy NSC, but I freely admit that the causal sexism and misogyny on the site depresses me. Many comments which are clearly insulting are made and allowed to stand. I empathise with the moderators in attempts to keep pace with every comment on the site.

If only NSC was purely filled with robust, balanced debate and free from bigotry then it would be exceptional. I fear I'm looking for an online paradise that won't exist in a football chatroom. Does one exist anywhere amongst male dominated online spaces?

NSC is a microcosm of society and as such it reflects how at we have to go in changing attitudes and beliefs.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
i wasn't referring to this thread-just countless others around hatred-little is ever done.it's not a problem-as is usually the answer-i guess i'll just have to not bother with the site anymore.you know-sometimes there is no place for debate on such issues-some things are just wrong.
ps-hands up all those on here who have been sexually assaulted think this thread a 'robust debate'?

Err.......me.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Personally, and I know I'm being a right grumpy pants here, butI don't find sexual assault claims by a named individual that funny. Carry on though, anyone got any April jokes?

'I'll sort you some Jimmy Savile ones out later, there has been a few of those floating about.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Sexual assault claims are not funny. I don't know why Ms Toksvig chose to not name the individual concerned though, she is not dependent on the BBC for her career.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I'll check when the search function is working again, but I'm pretty certain that some who've been complaining about this thread have previously made "humourous" madeline mccann jokes.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I really enjoy NSC, but I freely admit that the causal sexism and misogyny on the site depresses me. Many comments which are clearly insulting are made and allowed to stand. I empathise with the moderators in attempts to keep pace with every comment on the site.

If only NSC was purely filled with robust, balanced debate and free from bigotry then it would be exceptional. I fear I'm looking for an online paradise that won't exist in a football chatroom. Does one exist anywhere amongst male dominated online spaces?

NSC is a microcosm of society and as such it reflects how at we have to go in changing attitudes and beliefs.
stop moaning then.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
My father deals with many cases of sexual discrimination. The OP and others will be delighted to know that it is alive and well in the workplace.
Do f*** off you monumental bore , YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT MY VIEWS ON SEXUAL DISCRIMINATION, I'm of the opinion that if a woman can do the job , she should be given it , but I'll qualify that by ststing that they shouldn't then start whinging about nasty men telling rude jokes and having topless pictures on the wall.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

This is my view too, and I suspect that of [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], and the rest of the mods.

We have two choices - either immediately close / delete every thread on anything contentious, or allow people to debate the subject in an adult fashion.

Those complaining about our stance though, need to bear in mind, that 'adult' doesn't automatically equate to 'liberal, fair-minded and sensible'. Some adults are all those things. Other adults are racist or bigotted or sexist or homophobic or rude or just generally quite unpleasant.

Read properly through any NSC thread, and you'll see that for every bigot, there are half a dozen fair-minded posters taking them to task, and countering their nonsense, some in more articulate fashion than others.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'll check when the search function is working again, but I'm pretty certain that some who've been complaining about this thread have previously made "humourous" madeline mccann jokes.

1) This wasn't a "joke" this was a misogynistic belittling of someone's claims of abuse because "she isn't attractive".
2) Your description of the Madeline McCann jokes suggest you found them offensive, yet you're happy to make this thread - wouldn't that make you the hypocrite you're implying others of being for finding those jokes funny/making those jokes and yet being offended by this thread?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I didn't report it because I saw El Presidente was posting on the thread and assumed if the comments warranted action in keeping with NSC mod policies he would be aware/would have done so. I figured that the thread was not already closed was an indication it hadn't crossed any lines.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here