Ryan Harley

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Everyone would like to see Harley come good. The question is HOW? Because the way he's played thus far, there are a lot of players I'd like to see on the pitch ahead of him.

This!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Everyone would like to see Harley come good. The question is HOW? Because the way he's played thus far, there are a lot of players I'd like to see on the pitch ahead of him.

His confidence is shot. It may be that he likes to be a big fish in a small pond (my lad's analysis) and he is unable to adjust to the Albion and what Gus is building. I don't have an answer - I can see there are players who can run around, won't bottle a tackle, but who will never have the technique and skill of Harley. Perhaps Posh were so crap - they made him look good. I don't know. Swansea were happy to let him go and we are trying to emulate them - but maybe Gus knows more than Rodgers.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I would add that the role of playmaker in our team must be the most difficult to play (and judge). It is easier to play defender, winger, striker (well maybe not striker) and to make a call on who is doing it well. Playmakers are more difficult. Dicker showed that. A lot of people could not really see what he did. Fortunately Gus could.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Dicker, Navs, Bridcutt, Vicente, JFC and Sparrow are all far more effective than him in the centre. Get rid.

Dicker: coming back from injury - will he be the same player? Was he struggling in the championship ?

Navarro: different type of player. May just as well have said Brezovan.

Bridcutt: same.

Vicente: no question. Apart from number of games we will get.

JFC: all the potential. Very young though - can't play all the time.

Sparrow: more comparable than Navarro/Bridcutt, but still different type of player. At his best driving team forward.

There are times when we need the Vicente/JFC type player. And Harley is that type of player.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I do have a view. My first sight of Harley against Posh was that we had found the player that would take us up. He was commanding, cool in possession, could pick a pass, and his movement looked good. And he knocked it in from 30 yards. Was that his debut - if so it was one of the best I have seen. So my view is that he can do it. He has not put in a shift and has apparently "bottled" a couple of tackles. It could be he is having problems adjusting his game to what Gus wants. Let's face it - if he is going to fit in - his is a pivotal role.

If Vicente is fit - there is no way Harley is in front of him, and JFK looks s great prospect so it is not going to be easy for Harley. But what I hope is that he is listening to Gus and learning, and watching Vicente and learning, and will raise his game to meet what is required because I have seen that he has the technique, movement, and passing we need, can hit a dead ball and if he can improve the other aspects of his game then he could be an important player for us.

But he hit a shit penalty - get rid. He bottled a tackle - get rid. He didn't chase back hard enough - get rid. All a bit unthinking for me.

Also - his dead ball technique is crap at the moment - which tells you he is not in the greatest of confident moods. Let's see him back and confident. But of course some people (and I am not accusing you or anyone here) would prefer to boo him. These are the greatest days and Harley can be part of it.

That's a perfect assessment of why he should not be in the starting XI at present. Million miles away from the never wear a shirt again brigade!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Lots of players have that charge levelled at them. Hoddle and Waddle were two. Not that Harley is an either of those two - but a laconic demeanour does open up that charge.

Laconic is better than circumlocutory surely.

Apologies for my pedantry. Sometimes I just can't help myself.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I think it's frankly embarrassing how fickle some people on here are. If he plays for the Albion get behind him and support him, don't boo and moan ffs. I for one think he has moments of quality and I would like to see him get a run out vs Liverpool

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Laconic is better than circumlocutory surely.

Apologies for my pedantry. Sometimes I just can't help myself.

I just looked that up and started thinking that laconic was completely the wrong word - but these are example of use:

"Laconic physical style to match the vocal delivery"
"Laconic voice, the easy manner with a lyric, the comfortable presence with an audience"

So I think I got away with it. Funny that though - I have always thought laconic meant easy, laid-back - as opposed to using the minimum words. Well you live and learn - thanks for that Bakero. What are you doing in Hanoi ?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I hope he'll come good. As some others have said, a spell on loan to regain his confidence could be exactly what he needs. I'm sure Exeter would gladly take him back for a few months.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I just looked that up and started thinking that laconic was completely the wrong word - but these are example of use:

"Laconic physical style to match the vocal delivery"
"Laconic voice, the easy manner with a lyric, the comfortable presence with an audience"

So I think I got away with it. Funny that though - I have always thought laconic meant easy, laid-back - as opposed to using the minimum words. Well you live and learn - thanks for that Bakero.

When I read it I fully understood what you meant and thought maybe 'laconic demeanour' could have that meaning as it suggests he's holding something back. I'd say 'lackadaisical' is the best word to describe Harley though.

What are you doing in Hanoi ?

I'm an English teacher :D

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Dicker: coming back from injury - will he be the same player? Was he struggling in the championship ?

Navarro: different type of player. May just as well have said Brezovan.

Bridcutt: same.

Vicente: no question. Apart from number of games we will get.

JFC: all the potential. Very young though - can't play all the time.

Sparrow: more comparable than Navarro/Bridcutt, but still different type of player. At his best driving team forward.

There are times when we need the Vicente/JFC type player. And Harley is that type of player.
this and your previous posts. Spot on :thumbsup:

Ripon Gull

Feb 9, 2012
Gus is clearly slowly building a side that could compete at Premiership level, hence the recent signings. When he bought Harley, the short-term aim was to compete at Championship level. Yes he is a good player with potential, but only at Championship level at the moment, so allow him to move on (on loan if necessary) without all this unwarranted criticism and concentrate on the big boys capable of getting us INTO THE PLAY OFFS AND PROMOTION!!! - this season or the next. I Gus I trust............

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Off the top of my head here's a list of the players who have been lambasted this season.

Brez - Has done well since being in the side.
Casper - Ok not the best...
Calderon - he's not up to it etc, then scores a screamer
Painter - injured
Buckley - sicknote? but now an Albion legend in the making..
Vicente - waste of money? but now could be the difference that takes us to the play offs
Navarro - absolutely torn apart, but has no one noticed that he has lightened Bridcutts workload? plus he scored the winner at Leeds.
Dicker - injured.
Harley - hasn't had a game for a while, but because he runs a bit funny and doesn't try to break peoples legs, he is some how rubbish.
Barnes - slated to a shameful extent, but has been SOLID IMO, plus scored an important goal at Wrexham.
Paynter- SHIT

And more recently CMS..... words fail me,because although the team is doing well and is SCORING, he is apparently crap.....

It is ridiculous.

Do people have no understanding of tactics, building a squad, or how a TEAM works?

Harley is a good player, and it's crazy that when AEA misses a tackle it's ok, but if Harley doesn't cut someone in two in the opponents half he is a bottler.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Many said the same about Buckley and Vicente.

I don't understand the snide vitriol filled meanspiritedness towards Harley/Barnes/Navarro/Vicente/Ankergren and others. Have people got so little in their pathetic little lives that the only pleasure they get is from slagging off the players and others? Only two months ago we had the first of the "Gus, in or out" threads as went through a poor patch on the pitch.

Too many have short memories, no understanding of football finance and a chip on their shoulder.

Harley has shown some good touches, has excellent vision but has struggled to impose himself enough to regularly win a place in the team. I hope he turns it round because he could play an important role at some point later in the season, others would rather he fails because their assessment of him (or the others listed above) is more important than the Albion succeeding, and frankly that baffles me.

Very well said, sir.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Off the top of my head here's a list of the players who have been lambasted this season.

Painter - injured
Vicente - waste of money? but now could be the difference that takes us to the play offs
Navarro - absolutely torn apart, but has no one noticed that he has lightened Bridcutts workload? plus he scored the winner at Leeds.
Dicker - injured.
Harley - hasn't had a game for a while, but because he runs a bit funny and doesn't try to break peoples legs, he is some how rubbish.
Barnes - slated to a shameful extent, but has been SOLID IMO, plus scored an important goal at Wrexham.
Paynter- SHIT

And more recently CMS..... words fail me,because although the team is doing well and is SCORING, he is apparently crap.....

It is ridiculous.

Do people have no understanding of tactics, building a squad, or how a TEAM works?

Harley is a good player, and it's crazy that when AEA misses a tackle it's ok, but if Harley doesn't cut someone in two in the opponents half he is a bottler.

I agree with this.

Our current run features Brez, El-Abd, Sparrow, Calderon, Sparrow, Navarro and Barnes. At various times in the last couple of years people have decided they're not good enough and should never appear again for us. At the moment Harley isn't deserving of a place in the team, that could all change next month.

Navarro in particular gets a load of abuse but since he's come back into the team we're frustrating other teams and getting points. He's not the best going forward but he doesn't have to be

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.

Painter - injured
Dicker - injured.
Paynter- SHIT

It is ridiculous.

It's comforting that there are still some intelligent posters on NSC.

Can't we get away from the idea of "Here's an Albion player who's short on confidence - lets announce on a message board that he's useless and completely destroy the bloke." The bizarre aspect of this is that the team are on an incredible run and the said player isn't even in the team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports