Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Redknapp and the jury's out (merged) ** NOT GUILTY**

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Give the England manager job to the new Preston manager, he appears to be barking and doesn't take any shite from the players. We might not win anything (I believe we wont with any manager until the whole ethos of football in this country changes) but it could be wonderful entertainment.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It doesn't matter who is England manager, we will never win a tournament all thr while our grass roots culture is such a shambles. Sven did as well as could be expected, with 3 quarter final appearances. So Redknapp, Capello, Pearce, Pardew or even an up coming manager like Chris Hughton, it's a massive MEH from me.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
Anyone know when we can expect a verdict??

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
It doesn't matter who is England manager, we will never win a tournament all thr while our grass roots culture is such a shambles. Sven did as well as could be expected, with 3 quarter final appearances. So Redknapp, Capello, Pearce, Pardew or even an up coming manager like Chris Hughton, it's a massive MEH from me.

A huge this.

We need a Tiki Taka merchant in charge next to reshape football in this country from top to bottom. Pretty much like a certain Uruguyan has done with us. Please don't take Gus!!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Do you want an english manager because its the england team? If so should the whole backroom team of trainers, physios etc also be english? That could work out to be an employment nightmare.

I know what you are driving at, and the truth is the nationality issues are never as black and white as that, because the next argument is what constitutes "English"? Lennox Lewis is born in London, but represents Canada at the Olympics. Zola Budd grows up in South Africa, but then applies for and gets a British passport and runs for Britain in the olympics. Etc etc.

So, it comes down to what sits right with you on each and every case, and likewise with the appointments of backroom staff.

For me, the manager is a critical appointment, as is demonstrated by the fuss that surrounds the appointment, and the pay that goes with it. Therefore, if they are that critical to our success, it doesn't seem right to me that they are a foreign hired hand who is here purely for the money. Seems to me that if International football is a representation of the countrys ability, then a crucial role like the manager should be the best ENGLAND can put forward for the job. The back-up staff of fitness coach, assistant etc, are far less important, and despite all the Team England stuff, I just don't buy that they have much of an influence. Either way, the glaring issue for me is manager, so let's start there.

Having said that, I'm not slating Capello, who is a hugely talented manager, and if we were going to search the whole World for the best that money could buy, his CV stood out as the best. Just because he couldn't get our over-rated and over-blown egos to perform in South Africa said more about their failings than his for me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Having said that, I'm not slating Capello, who is a hugely talented manager, and if we were going to search the whole World for the best that money could buy, his CV stood out as the best. Just because he couldn't get our over-rated and over-blown egos to perform in South Africa said more about their failings than his for me.

The best at club management, maybe. International management is a different beast completely. The problem comes in that not many people have undertaken international management to any great extent so when picking a good club manager, there is always going to be a bit of a gamble going on.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Please can we hire Ian Holloway as the next England manager, we might not win much but just think of the press conferences , quality

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The best at club management, maybe. International management is a different beast completely. The problem comes in that not many people have undertaken international management to any great extent so when picking a good club manager, there is always going to be a bit of a gamble going on.

This is the thing though, Capello was just about the best club manager going. The only thing missing from his CV was international management experience, and in particular, managing in a big international tournament. He now has this, and he has admitted that he made mistakes in South Africa, and that he would do things differently if he got to do it again.

So we have one of the best ever club managers, who now has experience managing in the World Cup finals, and who will have learnt greatly from the experience. Which is how you get experience- make mistakes, and learn from them. So why the hell would we want to get rid of him just before the European Championships? If you think about it, he's just about the perfect candidate.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if I was the FA I'd be begging Capello to stay on after the Euros. Just remember what happened when we got rid of Sven, who everyone was moaning about after his three qualifications and three quarter-final appearances. Because that's what it's going to be like once we get of Capello and go back to having an average English manager again.

For a number of reasons, one of them being the players are such a bunch of cocks, the England job is pretty much impossible. Capello is one of the most decorated managers in the game, and look how much he has struggled with it. It's no wonder Maclaren was such a failure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here