Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Redknapp and the jury's out (merged) ** NOT GUILTY**

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Or you may not have won. Because as it panned out you were thrashed by the better side. That wasn't FIFA's fault.
We were well beaten, but it would have been a different story if FIFA weren't so shit. Who was the best counter attacking side of the world cup? Brazil, Holland, Spain? No, it was Germany, so starting the second half 2-1 down was a big deal. Had the young German side thrown away a 2-0 lead (ie, had FIFA got the decision right) they could well have folded. We'll never know. What we do know is that we did a lot better than with the last 2 English managers.

But, if the choice is failure with an expensive paid foreign manager and failure with a crap English manager, I'd rather fail with an English manager. Not least for the £3m a year they probably saved on McClaren's wages as compared to Capello's. What's the point of paying the manager £6m a year and still being shit?
I'd rather fail after the group stages of the finals than fail to get to them in the first place thanks. And given that McClaren's contract had to be paid off he was probably just as expensive as Capello, but to be honest I don't really care. What else are the FA going to do with their money, I'll never see it.

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
Get him to do what he does best. As a punishment he must dwelve into the transfer market again this summer. Any money which accidently ends up in his or anyone he knows bank accounts goes straight to the 3rd world. The 3rd world would be minted by the january transfer window and Arry will find better use with his talents. Problem solved.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As bad as that performance was, it should have been 2-2 at half time were it not for FIFA's incompetence, and we may have won.

Maybe, but there was a hell of a lot more between the sides than just a disallowed goal.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Is that why Germany, Italy, France, Brazil and Argentina (off the top of my head, I'm sure there are plenty more) have never had a non-dom manager?
No, but it explains why English people say "We must have an English manager". It's the same mindset that sees practising beforehand as a type of cheating.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
What twaddle. Sven is, statistically, the second most successful English manager of all time. He's also the only manager who's got us to three successive quarter-finals. But, shock, he lost to Brazil - the eventual winners and most successful World Cup team of all time. No, we won nothing under him but then we haven't won anything under ten of the other 11 managers England have had either.

That rather reinforces my original point - ok Sven might be statisically the most successful England manager but none of the foreign or recent English managers have actually won anything with England, reaching quarter or semi-finals don't count for a lot. Only dear old Sir Alf (an Englishman by the way) has the unique honour of being a World Cup winning manager.

I don't have a problem with having a foreign manager but can't see any outstanding candidates so suggest next time around we might as well go for Redknapp or maybe a Hodgson/Pearce set up. Neither options really get my juices going but could be a blend of experience together with Pearce's good record with the excellent U-21s who will form the core of the senior squad for the next World Cup. Would like to see Coppell involved but don't think he would put his head above the parapet these days. Whoever they appointment should have the balls to clear out the Terry/Lampard old guard and also keep Beckham away - it's time to move on.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
And this is what really what we face,the job nobody wants. We all laughed at 'Mike Basset' but that it the reality.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I would like maybe an ex player, wouldn't even be to upset with one that didnt have a great deal of manager experience but was passionate about his country.
with respect, that would be the single worst possible option. That old up & at em bulldog attitude is about as relevant to modern football as dad's army

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
That rather reinforces my original point - ok Sven might be statisically the most successful England manager but none of the foreign or recent English managers have actually won anything with England, reaching quarter or semi-finals don't count for a lot. Only dear old Sir Alf (an Englishman by the way) has the unique honour of being a World Cup winning manager.

I don't have a problem with having a foreign manager but can't see any outstanding candidates so suggest next time around we might as well go for Redknapp or maybe a Hodgson/Pearce set up. Neither options really get my juices going but could be a blend of experience together with Pearce's good record with the excellent U-21s who will form the core of the senior squad for the next World Cup. Would like to see Coppell involved but don't think he would put his head above the parapet these days. Whoever they appointment should have the balls to clear out the Terry/Lampard old guard and also keep Beckham away - it's time to move on.

Is Redknapp related to Lampard? If so he is unlikely to boot him out

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
I have always been a supporter of Harry and he has a certain talent for getting the best out of his players, this has enabled him to live in a very up market area, however his statements concerning his actions are to say the least unconvincing and i think he will be found guilty.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Slightly controversial, but I wouldn't mind Shearer at least being around. The last of the old school to whom playing for England actually meant something. Same for Pearce.

But absolutely clear out the old guard and do it now. It's time for the youngsters and it's time to build a TEAM.

.. I remember a certain bloke Uruguay talking about this at a fans club meeting. Pick the best team, not necessarily the best players.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
I would like maybe an ex player, wouldn't even be to upset with one that didnt have a great deal of manager experience but was passionate about his country.

'Passion' is far and away the most overrated 'quality' that is perpetuated by the English football community ever. There seems to be this impression that some Churchillian speech needs to be given before every game and that shouting a lot some how is a black and white clarification if someone cares or not.

Its like the Alex Revell debate that gets thrown out quite regularly on here but England fans would rather have someone who appears to be doing a lot but in reality very little than someone who has a large impact but doesn't appear to be trying. You're not a good pianist by banging a lot of keys, you've just gotta hit the right ones.

Everyone wants England to win. By filtering out candidates who maybe better suited and more qualified for the job than others purely because they were born on another land mass is quite frankly ridiculous. We've lost with English managers and we've lost with foreign managers, nationality makes no difference. Just get the best man in for the job, give him a bit of time and off his back media wise and we MIGHT just have a chance.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is Redknapp related to Lampard? If so he is unlikely to boot him out
Frank is his nephew as him and Frank senior were brothers in law one married a sister but not sure if it was Frank senior married Hsrrys sister or vice versa or even if both wives were sisters. Jamie Redknap and Frank Lampard are cousins how ever it works.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
wouldn't even be to upset with one that didnt have a great deal of manager experience but was passionate about his country.

Jesus. I really really realy hate the passion over talent/graft over guile sentiment.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Frank is his nephew as him and Frank senior were brothers in law one married a sister but not sure if it was Frank senior married Hsrrys sister or vice versa or even if both wives were sisters. Jamie Redknap and Frank Lampard are cousins how ever it works.

Are you on the reefa again?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here