Player ratings v Ipswich?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Never done these before but I found tonight very frustrating with too many inept performances
Kuszczak 7- generally sound.Never seen him get as frustrated with his defenders as he did tonight.
Calderon 6. Average
Greer. 6 Chopra closed him down quickly which often forced a pass back or square
El Abd. 3 Poor- when faced with space in front of him doesn't know what to do. Could have been sent off.
Bridge. 6 Not his best game. Doesn't work with him and Lua Lua in same space.
Hammond 4 Can't remember any telling contribution from him.
Bridcutt. 6 Worked as hard as ever but not at his best. Why won't he shoot?
Orlandi. 7 Looked good in first half but tired after about an hour.
Lua Lua. 4 Didn't make the most of his opportunity. Seems to have lost pace and confidence.
Barnes. 5 Not a striker. As is often the case, seemed unsure of his role.
Dobbie. 4 Desperate for a goal but never looked likely to get one!

Buckley 6 Scored but otherwise nothing special
Lopez. ? Didn't notice him.
Dicker. 6. Only ever turns one way. Seems unable to change pace.

Is there a Plan B?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Teams are going to play like that against us alot and Gus needs to work out a better system.
A lot of us have been calling for an alternative system for best part of a year now. Unfortunately doesn't seem capable of it and looked at a loss tonight as to what to do. Got out of jail with a very scrapy goal!

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Kuszczak 7

Calderon 4
Greer 4
El-Abd 5
Bridge 6

Bridcutt 4
Hammond 4
Orlandi 5

Lua Lua 4
Dobbie 3
Barnes 2

Subs:

Buckley 6
Dicker 5
Lopez 5

goldfish

Jul 10, 2011
Peacehaven
Kuszczak 7 Little to do, one great save
Calde 7 solid
Greer 6 gave the ball away a lot
El Abd 6 see Greer
Bridge 7 very good
Bridcutt 7 for defensive work, 4 for passing
Hammond 6 see Greer
Orlandi 7.5 deserved MOM
Lua Lua 5 awful
Dobbie 6 clearly a good player but a long way from settled
Barnes 7 held up the ball ok and linked play well but spent most of the night trying to control awful passes

Lopez 6 not bad
Dicker 7.5 we improved vastly when he came on
Buckley 7.5 see Dicker

Seems about right to me although I think 5 for LuaLua is a tad generous!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Lua Lua showed tonight he is a last 20 minute sub when the defenders are tired

Greer was poor, too many lose passes and him and Koosack almost came to blows in the first half which isn't good form for a captain imo

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
A lot of us have been calling for an alternative system for best part of a year now. Unfortunately doesn't seem capable of it and looked at a loss tonight as to what to do. Got out of jail with a very scrapy goal!

Yep, we failed to identify and sign a leader of the line and somebody who can score with their head!

Can't see us finishing top 2 if we are unable to mix it up when we need to.

We will have a good season thow.

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
Generous to El Abd who I thought had a dreadful game. Could easily have picked up two yellows in the last 10 minutes. Agree that Orlandi and Buckley the pick of the bunch.

Adam reminded me of how he used to play in the lower leagues at Withdean about 5 years ago - he had a real shocker tonight. So did Kazanga.
The save from the big Pole was outstanding - would have meant us going 2-0 down and game over.

Calderon at fault for goal and is weak in the air defending - still he made up for it by creating goal.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton

Yep, we failed to identify and sign a leader of the line and somebody who can score with their head!

Can't see us finishing top 2 if we are unable to mix it up when we need to.

We will have a good season thow.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Kuszczak 6

Calderon 5 Cannot defend on the far post. At fault for goal, could have given a second and third etc etc. Is he ball-watching? How else does his man beat him to the ball?
Greer 4 Distribution is totally awful.
El-Abd 4 Should have been red carded
Bridge 6 Even he was average

Bridcutt 5 What is going on?
Hammond 4
Orlandi 7 Better

Lua Lua 2 At fault for goal and had nightmare
Dobbie 5 Two chances and the team have played terribly around him so have to reserve judgement. Don't know how he fits into our play though
Barnes 5

Subs:

Buckley 7 Yet again our only player that threatens
Dicker 6 Once again looking good. Is it because everyone else is so bad?
Lopez 5

Confidence has gone from high to low in the space of 2 games at exactly the same time as last year. Gus sort it out.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Kooshack - 7 (My MoM) - Kept us in the match with some great saves yet again - currently my man crush as Bruno isnt here
Calderon - 5 - Good bit of play to get the ball to Buckley for the scrappy goal - but many mistakes
El-Abd - 4 - Made several mistakes and was lucky to remain on the pitch
Greer - 6 - Made some vital clearances - nothing special
Bridge - 5 - Didnt stand out much
Hammond - 5 - As above
Bridcutt - 5 - Made mistakes, but wasnt awful
Orlandi - 6.5 - Had some good runs, but there was no end product
Barnes - 5 - Invisible today
LuaLua - 4 - Very poor today, outplayed and passes were misplaced all over the pitch
Dobbie - 4 - Had only 1 chance, needs longer to settle in.

Subs
Buckley - 6.5 - Outpaced the opposition and got the goal - although even Barndoor Billy Paynter could have scored the goal
Dicker - 5 - No impact
Spanish Dave - 6 - Made some key passes - nothing more

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Kuzs 9.5 on the basis he only did one thing wrong, he spilled one shot. Great save in the second half after Greer, the tool, didn't clear. Greer had to audacity to moan at the pole

Calderon 4 Got caught for the goal and also near caught again second half, off the pace

Greer 2 F**king awful, didn't pass it forwards until the 94th minute.

El Abd 4 Lucky to stay on the pitch

Bridge 6 Steady but restricted by Lua Lua's actions!

Lua Lua 2 off the pace kept running back to Bridge when he had the ball restricting his options

Hammond 2 Just awful

Bridcutt 5 Worst game for a long time if not ever

Orlandi 6 ok

Dobbie 5 space is something you create by movement sadly appears to be lacking in it.

Barnes 1 why oh why is this man still seen as the answer

Buckley 7 Did more than the rest in the few minutes he had the ball than they did all game
Dicker 7 Moved the ball quicker than anyone else and by Christ that's saying something
Lopez ? Just don't know cant remember him

Oh dear that was shit. Not a clue, no movement, no effort, no ambition, no effing plan B Gus!

Our corners only threaten our own goal, our crosses are met by no one Gus really needs to shake this up or we're heading for a similar run to last year.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Kuzs 9.5 on the basis he only did one thing wrong, he spilled one shot. Great save in the second half after Greer, the tool, didn't clear. Greer had to audacity to moan at the pole

Calderon 4 Got caught for the goal and also near caught again second half, off the pace

Greer 2 F**king awful, didn't pass it forwards until the 94th minute.

El Abd 4 Lucky to stay on the pitch

Bridge 6 Steady but restricted by Lua Lua's actions!

Lua Lua 2 off the pace kept running back to Bridge when he had the ball restricting his options

Hammond 2 Just awful

Bridcutt 5 Worst game for a long time if not ever

Orlandi 6 ok

Dobbie 5 space is something you create by movement sadly appears to be lacking in it.

Barnes 1 why oh why is this man still seen as the answer

Buckley 7 Did more than the rest in the few minutes he had the ball than they did all game
Dicker 7 Moved the ball quicker than anyone else and by Christ that's saying something
Lopez ? Just don't know cant remember him

Oh dear that was shit. Not a clue, no movement, no effort, no ambition, no effing plan B Gus!

Our corners only threaten our own goal, our crosses are met by no one Gus really needs to shake this up or we're heading for a similar run to last year.
Great post

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Kuszczak 7 - One great save with his feet, another good palm of a shot that was going wide, but he was under pressure and redirected it to Bridge to start the counter, but struggled with the conditions on a couple of "easy" collections
Calderon 6 - An extra point for the persistence that led to the goal, otherwise a performance only worthy of a 5, despite Greer not passing to him again.
Greer 2.5 - All the while he refuses to use all his team mates, I refuse to give him all his marks. Again never passed to Calderon, which allowed Ipswich to step off of Calderon and pack the midfield and defence, concentrate their defence on the left where most of our attacks came from, again. Not "We never get the ref's decisions" never, but actual never. Other than that his passing was terrible both in the ones he went for and his ability to complete them, taking too long on the ball to decide and then not doing anything with it.
El Abd 5 - Gave the ball away too much, was passed the ball and backed away from it just inviting ipswich to go for it.
Bridge 6.5 - Like Saturday, one of the few to show a hunger for the ball or any sense of wanting to make something happen.
Lualua 5 - I know I'm not alone in noticing his complete lack of pace, or his lack of desire to use it to get behind the man. I understand him starting, shown promise off the bench against tired opponents, and he's more comfortable on the left, but he didn't really push for a regular start with that performance.
Bridcutt 6 - Gave the ball away a lot, but unlike some others, he made the effort to win it back.
Hammond 4 - Completely lost. Pass after past went astray, he seems to have no idea what his role is.
Orlandi 6 - some good crosses, unfortunately no one there to get on the end of them
Dobbie 5 - Not great. Too often he didn't react to a ball near him, or seemed to wait for the ball to come to him, allowed Ipswich to steal it, some good movement and skills at time just trying to do too much
Barnes 6 - Did as much as he could when not getting delivery, worked hard in a different position to what he's used to. Perhaps we missed him in defence and midfield at times.

Subs
Dicker 6 - Tidy, sprayed the passes around, made some of our attacks a bit more direct (supplying wingers directly rather than via another player as we seemed to try a lot)
Buckley 6 - Scrappy goal, tried to get behind, but crosses from the left didn't test the keeper or were to empty areas.
Lopez 5.5 - Good work on the wing to get the ball into the box for Calderon to force it through for Buckley, but not imposing himself much or doing anything to force us to take notice.

Generally speaking I thought we missed CMS more in this game. v Birmingham I didn't see us do anything and thought "CMS would have got on the end of that", but tonight I did.
Too many of our players were too casual with passing and collecting passes, we seemed too slow to react, and showed no awareness of where team mates or opponents were.
This, like birmigham, wasn't a failure of the system, it was a failure of the people to execute it to it's full potential (which will never happen if your centre back NEVER passes to his right back, especialy an attack minded one, forcing all attacks to start on the left making us predictable, forcing key players to come over to a side they are not as comfortable with, and shrinking the area our opponents have to cover).
Saturday v birmingham was frustrating, but felt like one of those things. Tonight, it was more frustrating because it felt like it was more our players not doing their job properly.

Still,
we got a point after going behind - a first for this season
We got a goal and a point with Painter on the bench - another first
Other results mean we only drop to third, given we were only top on goal difference, that's pretty good
Bruno should be back on saturday, meaning we'll use the whole team and the whole pitch
Pie was good.
It was 37 minutes until the stand song started, it died out quickly, and wasn't sung much after that
More game time for Dobbie - I think he will come good
More game time for Lopez who looks like he needs it to get the best from him

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
kooshack 7
calderon 5
greer 6
El Abd 6
Bridge 7
Lua Lua 4
Hammond 5
Bridcutt 4 worst i have ever seen him play
Orlandi 7
Dobbie 5 Hope he improves
Barnes 4

Buckley 7 game changer AGAIN
Dicker 6
Lopez - not enough time on pitch but looked good in possession

Gus's team selection cost us another 3 points

Can't believe you gave Hammond more than Liam.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Kuszczak 7 - One great save with his feet, another good palm of a shot that was going wide, but he was under pressure and redirected it to Bridge to start the counter, but struggled with the conditions on a couple of "easy" collections
Calderon 6 - An extra point for the persistence that led to the goal, otherwise a performance only worthy of a 5, despite Greer not passing to him again.
Greer 2.5 - All the while he refuses to use all his team mates, I refuse to give him all his marks. Again never passed to Calderon, which allowed Ipswich to step off of Calderon and pack the midfield and defence, concentrate their defence on the left where most of our attacks came from, again. Not "We never get the ref's decisions" never, but actual never. Other than that his passing was terrible both in the ones he went for and his ability to complete them, taking too long on the ball to decide and then not doing anything with it.
El Abd 5 - Gave the ball away too much, was passed the ball and backed away from it just inviting ipswich to go for it.
Bridge 6.5 - Like Saturday, one of the few to show a hunger for the ball or any sense of wanting to make something happen.
Lualua 5 - I know I'm not alone in noticing his complete lack of pace, or his lack of desire to use it to get behind the man. I understand him starting, shown promise off the bench against tired opponents, and he's more comfortable on the left, but he didn't really push for a regular start with that performance.
Bridcutt 6 - Gave the ball away a lot, but unlike some others, he made the effort to win it back.
Hammond 4 - Completely lost. Pass after past went astray, he seems to have no idea what his role is.
Orlandi 6 - some good crosses, unfortunately no one there to get on the end of them
Dobbie 5 - Not great. Too often he didn't react to a ball near him, or seemed to wait for the ball to come to him, allowed Ipswich to steal it, some good movement and skills at time just trying to do too much
Barnes 6 - Did as much as he could when not getting delivery, worked hard in a different position to what he's used to. Perhaps we missed him in defence and midfield at times.

Subs
Dicker 6 - Tidy, sprayed the passes around, made some of our attacks a bit more direct (supplying wingers directly rather than via another player as we seemed to try a lot)
Buckley 6 - Scrappy goal, tried to get behind, but crosses from the left didn't test the keeper or were to empty areas.
Lopez 5.5 - Good work on the wing to get the ball into the box for Calderon to force it through for Buckley, but not imposing himself much or doing anything to force us to take notice.

Generally speaking I thought we missed CMS more in this game. v Birmingham I didn't see us do anything and thought "CMS would have got on the end of that", but tonight I did.
Too many of our players were too casual with passing and collecting passes, we seemed too slow to react, and showed no awareness of where team mates or opponents were.
This, like birmigham, wasn't a failure of the system, it was a failure of the people to execute it to it's full potential (which will never happen if your centre back NEVER passes to his right back, especialy an attack minded one, forcing all attacks to start on the left making us predictable, forcing key players to come over to a side they are not as comfortable with, and shrinking the area our opponents have to cover).
Saturday v birmingham was frustrating, but felt like one of those things. Tonight, it was more frustrating because it felt like it was more our players not doing their job properly.

Still,
we got a point after going behind - a first for this season
We got a goal and a point with Painter on the bench - another first
Other results mean we only drop to third, given we were only top on goal difference, that's pretty good
Bruno should be back on saturday, meaning we'll use the whole team and the whole pitch
Pie was good.
It was 37 minutes until the stand song started, it died out quickly, and wasn't sung much after that
More game time for Dobbie - I think he will come good
More game time for Lopez who looks like he needs it to get the best from him

Disagree re the system, the way we play we have to be on it every game for it to work well. I thought agaisnt Brum and Ipswich our midfield looked lost and were constantly getting in each others way.

The better well organised teams will play deep keep a rigid shape at the back and look to hit us on the break, with this we need to adapt the way we play. Key to this is having someone who can lead the line and break the oppositions back line up, also we need to split the central defenders by playing quicker balls between them. Unfortunately against Brum and Ipswich we passed ourselves to death and rarely turned them round.

CMS has definately played the role well so far this season but not sure he can do that for 46 games, he would be much better playing off somebody as would Barnes and Doobie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports