Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber Opposes PL Restart Plan

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
The definition of integrity is as follows: 'the state of being whole and undivided.' Once the current season stopped it could never be integral again and hence no longer had any integrity. Any restart by definition will lack integrity and PB is just pointing out the obvious in respect of one aspect, the neutral venues. There are plenty on others.
In my opinion, PB and TB have never wanted the season to restart because it opens up the possibility of relegation and without any certainty of what is happening, it is impossible to plan how to run the business/football club. Indeed the only way to have some certainty is to formally end the season. Saying you are going to restart on date x gives no certainty because the virus could intervene at any time.
It is hard to oppose the big 6 in the PL meetings and so PB and TB are I believe trying to build a consensus around ending the season without explicitly stating that.
I think the PL in general should be putting all their efforts into working out how to finance / play next season (for all of football not just the PL) and stop wasting their time trying to restart a season that has already ended.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
And that is exactly why it isn't doable!

They’d be pariahs if they did and the PL could sue them for millions. And as I said, the chances of them bringing the virus back would be minuscule.

But whilst I think they COULD do it, I really don’t think they SHOULD. It’d all be done so they could play soulless games with no crowd. Just glorified training sessions really. It wouldn’t feel like football and would be just as unsatisfying as abandoning the season.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The definition of integrity is as follows: 'the state of being whole and undivided.' Once the current season stopped it could never be integral again and hence no longer had any integrity. Any restart by definition will lack integrity and PB is just pointing out the obvious in respect of one aspect, the neutral venues. There are plenty on others.
In my opinion, PB and TB have never wanted the season to restart because it opens up the possibility of relegation and without any certainty of what is happening, it is impossible to plan how to run the business/football club. Indeed the only way to have some certainty is to formally end the season. Saying you are going to restart on date x gives no certainty because the virus could intervene at any time.
It is hard to oppose the big 6 in the PL meetings and so PB and TB are I believe trying to build a consensus around ending the season without explicitly stating that.
I think the PL in general should be putting all their efforts into working out how to finance / play next season (for all of football not just the PL) and stop wasting their time trying to restart a season that has already ended.

Never wanted to restart the season yet publicly state they want to restart the season when safe. Ok then. :shrug:

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Perhaps you should ask staff at FC Koln the same question. It could and has happened.

They tested and 3 were positive, they sent them to self isolate and carried on training...Looks like the club not shouting from the rooftops about cancelling their season and waiting for government ruling...

Seems sensible enough to me

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It could be done. Every team has a sealed off hotel. Team, staff, coach drivers and hotel staff aren’t allowed outside contact. Squad train and are ferried to the grounds for the games.

It’s doable. And if a staff member sneaks out and back in, then the chances of them bringing back the virus are small anyway. But make it worth their while. Every chef or cleaner gets £10k for one months work, but break quarantine and return and you get nothing and are sued.

Whether all this is desirable for a string of soulless games is another matter

So all of the players hotel staff and other supporting personnel are locked in this hotel for 8 weeks away from their families and loved ones so we can watch 8 games of football

Nah I don’t think that is desirable for a string of soulless games. Whatever they earn players are humans as well and the impact on them and the health of their families should also be at the forefront of the current circus of ideas

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
They tested and 3 were positive, they sent them to self isolate and carried on training...Looks like the club not shouting from the rooftops about cancelling their season and waiting for government ruling...

The situation in Germany is nothing like the situation here.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

Agreed - but it could have happened to 3 key team players (we don't know) and that then would throw the whole idea out. Or in a
sensible world it would.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
An article reporting the German minister for the Interior (I presume that means Home Secretary?).

https://www.france24.com/en/20200503-influential-german-minister-backs-bundesliga-restart-this-month

Imagine this playing out in the PL from June 8th. It would be absolutely disastrous and chaotic.

'Seehofer, who plays a key government role on the issue as he holds several portfolios, has emphasised that the teams and players must respect several conditions.

"If there is a case of coronavirus in a team or its management, the club as a whole, and possibly also the team against which it last played, must go into quarantine for two weeks," he said.

"There will continue therefore to be risks for the schedule of matches and for the standings," if there is any contamination.'

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They’d be pariahs if they did and the PL could sue them for millions. And as I said, the chances of them bringing the virus back would be minuscule.

But whilst I think they COULD do it, I really don’t think they SHOULD. It’d all be done so they could play soulless games with no crowd. Just glorified training sessions really. It wouldn’t feel like football and would be just as unsatisfying as abandoning the season.
There are plenty of pariahs around!

Agree with your second paragraph though.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Agreed - but it could have happened to 3 key team players (we don't know) and that then would throw the whole idea out. Or in a
sensible world it would.

Indeed...It would be nice to think they 'carried on regardless' and cynical to think they carried on because the players were 3 jobbers...Like you say, we don't know

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
"If there is a case of coronavirus in a team or its management, the club as a whole, and possibly also the team against which it last played, must go into quarantine for two weeks," he said.

This after saying ""I find the schedule proposed by the German league plausible and I support the restart in May," Horst Seehofer told Bild newspaper". So, that'll be finishing the season, with frequent fortnightly gaps, until about this time next year then?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
This after saying ""I find the schedule proposed by the German league plausible and I support the restart in May," Horst Seehofer told Bild newspaper". So, that'll be finishing the season, with frequent fortnightly gaps, until about this time next year then?

Be careful.

The press will be on you for daring to be critical of anything the Germans do...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
End season now.
Allow the table to stand as is.
No relegation to champ, and no promotion.
allow clubs to vote who should be made champions, guiding them to vote Liverpool.
Text ‘genuinely, so sorry’ to Leeds United.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Silly Alan Nixon at the Sun ( with a very obvious agenda himself ) tweets that Barber is just looking for 'excuses' not to back some hare brained scheme to finish the season at all costs.

"I’m sure he will be looking for excuses not to play. He seems keen on that kind of thing."

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Another Cologne story:

https://www.goal.com/en/news/koln-midfielder-verstraete-its-bizarre-we-are-still-training/1219inf7tppi91a8y596r05rrk

FC Koln midfielder Birger Verstraete has said it's "a bit bizarre" that his team is continuing to train after it announced three positive Covid-19 cases on Friday. The Belgian has said his mind is far from football, and is concerned for his girlfriend who has a heart condition.

As I have stated before the players must feel like performing monkeys, almost like slaves and told to get on with it by the powers that be, who are looking at the bottom line. I’m sure most chairmen in their heart of hearts know the season should be voided and should not re start, only those who feel they may miss out on promotion and an increase in revenue wish the season to be completed, or some biased calculation system makes them beneficial to any decision to promote them.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Barber should phone Leeds United and tell them Ben White’s loan won’t be extended there next season, as it would have a material effect to the integrity of his development to be at a second tier club.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Silly Alan Nixon at the Sun ( with a very obvious agenda himself ) tweets that Barber is just looking for 'excuses' not to back some hare brained scheme to finish the season at all costs.

"I’m sure he will be looking for excuses not to play. He seems keen on that kind of thing."

He’s a ****ing moron - touting some plan to finish the PL in Perth, Australia over a 7 week period

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The first essential is to decide what is to be done about wages. The only sensible way to do it IMO is to thell the players that if the season is not finished, and obviously that means next season is in doubt as well, then all players will be furloughed until things become clearer.

Then, there are IMO two options.

1. Work from now to get the game going again. Premier League only to start with, I dare say, with subsidies further down the league as necessary.
or
2. Give it up, no more football until the coronavirus has been solved - estimated perhaps 18 months. Or next March has been mentioned. Either way, that's why players need to be on furlough because they can't get paid when there is no income to pay them.

The idea of not making emergency plans for this season while immediately starting emergency plans for next season, is nonsense. Coronavirus will not disappear and the basic situation won't change unless and until we get a vaccine. If we can't start in June, it's highly unlikely that we will start in September.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here