Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber Opposes PL Restart Plan

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If only 6 want to abandon then you have to assume that the other 14 are in favour of resumption in some way, varying from "on the fence" to "let's get it on".

But your second point is spot on. What happens if a squad or two get a confirmed case? Or two cases? What happens if ref and linesmen go down with it? And there's no way that playing at a neutral venue is a strict fuldilment of the original fixture and I bet all the bottom 6 have their lawyers looking at that right now.
The thing is, though, if 14 votes are required to restart, and 14 votes are required to abandon the season, then the likelihood is for a stalemate in no mans land between the 2 polar options.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
This.

Barber and BHA will be attacked just like Kitson is, for no reason other than lazy mischief-making and 'look at me' twittery. Thus is the modern world.

Stand by for stories about how the club went bust in the 90s because the fans thought it was better to sell the Goldstone than invest properly in the club's future, and how we couldn't even fill an athletic's stadium.

Oh the irony.......

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So what happens if the PL completes the season, a bottom three is established, but the Championship cannot complete their season plus playoffs?

Not sure as I’ve always said they can’t finish this season anyway.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Interesting isn't it. Not sure anyone has the answer but there's sure to be money and lawyers involved.

Personally I’d finish the season as it is - nothing rewarded. Furlough players so clubs preserve cash.

If this causes a mass reset on the PL & EFL and players all go abroad so be it - but I can’t feasibly see any other way out.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I see Sky Sports news tonight taliking about the likelihood of Premier league clubs preparing themselves to play in empty stadiums for the whole of next season. I think most of us think this is a distinct possibility but how could clubs in the lower divisions survive (assuming this applies to them as well) without their revenue which as we all know is largely made up of match day income?

The news channels all mention the likelihood of hundreds if not thousands of businesses going under after the virus has died down somewhat - how many of these clubs in leagues 1 and 2 will join them, or are there some contingency measures for them? (Can't see Furloughing continuing for another year).

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Sorry if anyone posted this already:

BBC News - Premier League: More clubs open to using neutral venues if relegation removed
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52517532
The thing I don't get about that article is that the headline is speculation and not backed up by any substance in the article.

It says Barber is against neutral grounds.

At no point does he actually say anything about removing relegation or it being a possibility.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
That's my suspicion too. Certainly if it was the other way round, as it very well may be next season - that the season starts behind closed doors and moves to home and away later - his objections to the loss of sporting integrity would be a bit easier to overcome.

It's pretty obvious that the objections the bottom 6 have - not just Brighton - to resuming the competition is because of fear of relegation. And that's the problem with the Premier League, or one of the many problems. Because of its constitution, where the clubs themselves make all the decisions, a few clubs can hold the rest to ransom over relatively trivial issues.

It would still be interesting to kow, when push came to shove, if he would be willing to block the resumption of the PL over this relatively trivial issue. There are after all sound reasons for neutral venues -one in particular being that some grounds (ie. Turf Moor) have very small away dressing rooms that give no scope for social distancing.

I don’t think he would block resuming behind closed doors if matches were played at the home clubs grounds as that still retains an advantage of sorts for the home side. Neutral hosted games remove that and for such an important phase of the season and with hundreds of millions at stake then it’s no surprise the bottom clubs are pushing back hard on this.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The thing is, though, if 14 votes are required to restart, and 14 votes are required to abandon the season, then the likelihood is for a stalemate in no mans land between the 2 polar options.

I’m pretty sure 9/10 if not more clubs are just playing poker and listening to all the ideas with no idea of accepting any of them.

All about timing.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I’m pretty sure 9/10 if not more clubs are just playing poker and listening to all the ideas with no idea of accepting any of them.

All about timing.

Very much this I mean who actually wants the season to continue Liverpool, Chelsea maybe Sheff United at a push everyone else would be glad to see it end if they can get over the TV money issue

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
If relegation is removed, then there's virtually no point in playing - it would only be to determine champions (who we already know) and Europe places for what will be a very rubbish or non existent Euro campaign next year.

Best thing to do is abandon European matches next season, let the top two in the Championship be promoted and have a bigger premiership next year - with as we know, closed doors and then maybe limited crowds later.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If relegation is removed, then there's virtually no point in playing - it would only be to determine champions (who we already know) and Europe places for what will be a very rubbish or non existent Euro campaign next year.

Best thing to do is abandon European matches next season, let the top two in the Championship be promoted and have a bigger premiership next year - with as we know, closed doors and then maybe limited crowds later.

Agreed........any games behind closed doors would only be watchable if there’s something meaningful riding on them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I'm getting REALLY fed up with suggestions of teams getting promoted on the basis of a snapshot League table less than halfway through March, with a quarter of the season still unplayed.

Its bollocks. Please stop it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm getting REALLY fed up with suggestions of teams getting promoted on the basis of a snapshot League table less than halfway through March, with a quarter of the season still unplayed.

Its bollocks. Please stop it.

The thing is if they dont promote teams, at least WBA & Leeds will go to court with it which is probably a pretty big part why they want to finish the season because that could take many months to sort out and they cant kick off a new season until its settled somehow. I agree it is bollocks, but if its the smoothest way to get things done - do it.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here