Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber Opposes PL Restart Plan

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Sky reports Albion’s Paul Barber has come out against the PL proposal to finish season in neutral stadiums behind closed doors. I think that is great news and great that PB reflects what I believe to be the fans’ view.

I become prouder of our Club, and those who run it, as the days pass.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The majority of fans seem to think the idea is farcical to say the least, I wonder what could possibly be driving the PL bosses.... :mad: £££

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Sky reports Albion’s Paul Barber has come out against the PL proposal to finish season in neutral stadiums behind closed doors.

That kind of makes it sound like he's comprehensively against the whole thing (and all three parts: finishing the season; neutral venues; and closed doors). I understood his view to be that he's only against the neutral venues part.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
“ Barber added. “We do of course understand that in the very difficult circumstances we are facing that every option must be considered – but that should only be when safe to do so for all concerned and, if and when we reach that point, we are not in favour of playing our remaining matches at neutral venues.“

He then explains why the club hold that view...

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1663879/barber-responds-to-neutral-venue-reports

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Are any clubs other than Liverpool and the challengers in the Championship and League 1 and 2 desperate to finish this season?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not being paying attention tbh.

What difference does neutral stadiums make?

The theory is they pick say 10 neutral grounds which can then effectively be sealed after a deep clean thus lowering the risks. It would also discourage fans from standing outside - after all if Brighton vs Norwich was played at Newcastle what fans are going to be daft enough to travel just to stand outside. Can't say I agree with the idea though.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
That’s a good thought Greybeard.... I had assumed it was to cut down travelling and hotel stays for teams.
Whatever, the restart is a bad idea, opposed by fans and ,it seems, a lot of the players.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Would the PL bosses be so desperate to finish the league if Man City had a 15 pt lead? They have been driving a Liverpool PL title since day one of the season. Some of the ref decisions in Liverpool’s favour have been farcical, Jeff Stelling had a full on rant about the subject and after witnessing our away defeat I’m 100% with him.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The travelling circus is a nuts idea, absolutely barking, and will be worse if we have to travel to play at a neutral venue while clubs from up North use the Amex! Surely one of the elements of disease control that will be most needed, even if lockdown is partly released, is travel restrictions. I don't really care if they are regularly tested footballers plus an entourage, why should we have people from highly affected areas coming here just to play sport?

Sadly the rumour I've heard is that Barber is in a minority.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It has been mentioned on another thread, there seems very little consultation or thoughts about the actual players as to whether they really want to do this.

SAC

May 21, 2014
There are lots of arguments againt restarting the league, all detailed in other threads. If neutral venues would make restarting the league more likely that has to be a good thing. What Barber is saying is that he understands this but is against the idea as there may be a disadvantage to the Albion from not playing 5 home matches at the Amex.

Of course restarting the league is mostly about money but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. The only way that a lot of clubs are going to survive is by finding a way to play football as safely as possible for everyone concerned. Times like this it is about the greater good of football, not the individual club.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
There are lots of arguments againt restarting the league, all detailed in other threads. If neutral venues would make restarting the league more likely that has to be a good thing. What Barber is saying is that he understands this but is against the idea as there may be a disadvantage to the Albion from not playing 5 home matches at the Amex.

Of course restarting the league is mostly about money but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. The only way that a lot of clubs are going to survive is by finding a way to play football as safely as possible for everyone concerned. Times like this it is about the greater good of football, not the individual club.
Playing at 4 grounds is not safe at all unless the virus has died down. It would require an enormous amount of movement from one part of the country to another. Many many times.

el punal

The travelling circus is a nuts idea, absolutely barking, and will be worse if we have to travel to play at a neutral venue while clubs from up North use the Amex! Surely one of the elements of disease control that will be most needed, even if lockdown is partly released, is travel restrictions. I don't really care if they are regularly tested footballers plus an entourage, why should we have people from highly affected areas coming here just to play sport?

Sadly the rumour I've heard is that Barber is in a minority.

Travel restrictions? Right up Southern’s alley, that one. Can you imagine if a game is played behind closed doors at the Amex - SAPTA (Southern Are Pleased To Announce) that there will no service between Brighton and Lewes.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
What other proposals are the PL going to come up with to ‘finish the season’ in an attempt to get their £££ from the broadcasters?

60 minute matches?
Rolling subs?
5 a side games in Jamie Vardy’s kitchen?
No corners?
Walking football?

It seems the integrity of the competition is completely binned when it comes to this ‘finish the season at all costs’ mentality but I guess we shouldn’t be surprised.

Barber IN! (Strange times, eh?)

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
The whole neutral venues idea could just be a game: put out a crazy idea, get people worried, then they are more likely to agree to the next worst thing. Could all be part of the EPL scheme to get all the clubs on board.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What other proposals are the PL going to come up with to ‘finish the season’ in an attempt to get their £££ from the broadcasters?

60 minute matches?
Rolling subs?
5 a side games in Jamie Vardy’s kitchen?
No corners?
Walking football?

It seems the integrity of the competition is completely binned when it comes to this ‘finish the season at all costs’ mentality but I guess we shouldn’t be surprised.

Barber IN! (Strange times, eh?)

Rush keeper - means there's two less players on the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here