[Albion] Paul Barber Opposes PL Restart Plan

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Let's not imagine this is anything other than self interest. Clubs just outside the relegation zone want the season binned off regardless, don't want to take any risks. Clubs in the relegation zone want the season cancelled, start again next year, clubs in the promotion spots want the season finished early, current positions to count, and failing either of that they will want to play. Clubs just outside the promotion or European qualification spots want to play to a finish.

Whatever happens someone will be pissed off and feel its unfair. As far as Brighton is concerned we don't want to play, too risky, and our board will do what it takes to muddy the waters

SAC

May 21, 2014
Let's not imagine this is anything other than self interest. Clubs just outside the relegation zone want the season binned off regardless, don't want to take any risks. Clubs in the relegation zone want the season cancelled, start again next year, clubs in the promotion spots want the season finished early, current positions to count, and failing either of that they will want to play. Clubs just outside the promotion or European qualification spots want to play to a finish.

Whatever happens someone will be pissed off and feel its unfair. As far as Brighton is concerned we don't want to play, too risky, and our board will do what it takes to muddy the waters

Apparently it is just the clubs that are in the bottom 6 that are against, the other clubs are happy for the season to be completed if possible.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The whole neutral venues idea could just be a game: put out a crazy idea, get people worried, then they are more likely to agree to the next worst thing. Could all be part of the EPL scheme to get all the clubs on board.

But the next worst thing, by definition, would be even worse, so how can that help?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Let's not imagine this is anything other than self interest.

Yeah, it is not like there is a deadly virus with a highly infectious transmission rate that has killed tens of thousands of our people. I am sure the clubs and players, not to mention all the extra workers involved, are all thinking about self interest.

:ffsparr:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Apparently it is just the clubs that are in the bottom 6 that are against, the other clubs are happy for the season to be completed if possible.

Don't misquote Barber and misrepresent the Albion. BHA have always stated that they wanted to finish the season. Barber has highlighted that given we have 5 home games from 9, we would be unfairly penalised by playing all our remaining games away from home and that would affect the remaining integrity accordingly.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not being paying attention tbh.

What difference does neutral stadiums make?

None. It makes no difference and has been defenestrated by many posters on another thread. It won't happen because it is an unworkable solution to an issue that isn't in itself a problem. But I said exacly the same about Brexit. Oh, that hasn't happened either....Perhaps the EPL can declare that football will begin again in July, no ifs, no buts, and then it will be instant sunny uplands!

:facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Don't misquote Barber and misrepresent the Albion. BHA have always stated that they wanted to finish the season. Barber has highlighted that given we have 5 home games from 9, we would be unfairly penalised by playing all our remaining games away from home and that would affect the remaining integrity accordingly.

This.

Barber and BHA will be attacked just like Kitson is, for no reason other than lazy mischief-making and 'look at me' twittery. Thus is the modern world.

Stand by for stories about how the club went bust in the 90s because the fans thought it was better to sell the Goldstone than invest properly in the club's future, and how we couldn't even fill an athletic's stadium.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah, it is not like there is a deadly virus with a highly infectious transmission rate that has killed tens of thousands of our people. I am sure the clubs and players, not to mention all the extra workers involved, are all thinking about self interest.

:ffsparr:

Also this.

Reminds me of people in the 80s who would wait for weeks until a young black lad was arrested for mugging, then declare triumphantly "See! Just like I always said".

:facepalm:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
What other proposals are the PL going to come up with to ‘finish the season’ in an attempt to get their £££ from the broadcasters?

60 minute matches?
Rolling subs?
5 a side games in Jamie Vardy’s kitchen?
No corners?
Walking football?

It seems the integrity of the competition is completely binned when it comes to this ‘finish the season at all costs’ mentality but I guess we shouldn’t be surprised.

Barber IN! (Strange times, eh?)

I've just had a look at the fixtures. We'd played all other 19 Premier League clubs after the win against Bournemouth on the 28th of December. So all they need to do is expunge all results after that game, make the first 19 games double headers and add double points, accrue them to the final table and boom! We are staying up on 40 points, Liverpool will be champions with over 100, Leicester, Man City and Chelsea are into next seasons Champions League, which could be played on Xbox's by the managers all across Europe, with Villa, Norwich and Watford being relegated to next seasons virtual Championship. Plus, we won't have lost to Palace, because despite being there in The West Upper for it, it never happened!

West Brom and Leeds are promoted from the Championship if The EFL do the same and Massive, Fulham, PNE and Brentford are in the play offs, which could be done as a 5-a-side tournament in a disused sports centre somewhere, with social distancing observed. Maybe put something like those things dogs are given after being spayed round the players necks to ensure it's enforced? Big, 2 metre long ones. :shrug:

The thing I can't fathom out how to complete is The Sussex Senior Cup. Albion v Eastbourne Borough for the final is a grey area, as that's not non-league. Tricky one. Lawyers are going to make millions out of that, when it inevitably goes to The CAS in Lausanne I'm sure. The Sussex County FA in Lancing really need to get a grip on this one, as it's going to get nasty. I really do feel the pain Eastbourne Borough must be feeling right now, being denied the glory of taking on Albion's Development squad in the final.

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
The travelling circus is a nuts idea, absolutely barking, and will be worse if we have to travel to play at a neutral venue while clubs from up North use the Amex! Surely one of the elements of disease control that will be most needed, even if lockdown is partly released, is travel restrictions. I don't really care if they are regularly tested footballers plus an entourage, why should we have people from highly affected areas coming here just to play sport?

Sadly the rumour I've heard is that Barber is in a minority.

Where would clubs from up North stay if played at the Amex ?
Not sure how this will work, so when we play Newcastle where would that be played? If villa park it would have to be a coach trip up and back in the same day.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
There are lots of arguments againt restarting the league, all detailed in other threads. If neutral venues would make restarting the league more likely that has to be a good thing. What Barber is saying is that he understands this but is against the idea as there may be a disadvantage to the Albion from not playing 5 home matches at the Amex.

Of course restarting the league is mostly about money but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. The only way that a lot of clubs are going to survive is by finding a way to play football as safely as possible for everyone concerned. Times like this it is about the greater good of football, not the individual club.

The fact this is mostly about money is a very bad thing.

Firstly ethical arguments about player and public welfare will get shoved aside in a tsunami of self justification. Why? Because of money.

Secondly as El Presidente will tell you, football clubs have models which would be totally unsustainable in any other area of business. Wages to turnover ratios are utterly ridiculous which gives no leeway for variations in operating costs when turnover goes down. I’m hopeful this will cause a rethink in the way clubs operate their finances rather come out with highly impractical solutions to try and get hold of money to try and sustain the unsustainable.

Unlikely though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
i find it odd that people state such simple solutions. Yes, the season in all professional divisions ought to be binned and voided due to safety, with no promotions or relegations. Just like it was in 1939. That's pretty obvious.

But, and it's a big fecking but, in modern times (and probably unlike in 1939) this could possibly bankrupt and end many clubs. So, it irritates me that people say just void it.

To keep clubs afloat money needs to be made. It's the same argument re lockdown, health risk from covid vs the economy.

So I'm now in favour that all the professional leagues Prem to Div 2 somehow complete/renegotiate tv deals/pass money through the leagues to keep these clubs afloat. I don't really care about the integrity of this one season, in the bigger picture. Do a bodge that keeps football for all those fans for future seasons. Imo.

edit - even if it means the Ablion are relegated.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It’s dumb, one person gets it at any team and spreads it to the some of the rest of the team and you’ve got a total shambles. It’s utter nonsense, it should not even be being discussed to restart until the virus is well under control. It’s farcical, when I read the article about players training and playing in masks I genuinely thought it was April fools.

There’s only one thing driving the PL bosses and we all know what that is.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Let’s face it, as a club it’s in our favour to have this season voided and dodge a strong chance of relegation. Mr Barber knows that as much as anyone. It might be gamesmanship, but so it goes...

As for being shocked that the PL want to finish this season for the money... Well, without money there’s no pro football. They’re not doing it for fun.

They could certainly arrange a Corona-free, behind closed doors conclusion, but football with no crowds is bloody awful. When it comes to the match-day crowd or the viewers at home, the PL always pander to the latter as that’s where the money is. The irony is that football without TV cameras still feels like football, whereas football without a crowd doesn’t.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The travelling circus is a nuts idea, absolutely barking, and will be worse if we have to travel to play at a neutral venue while clubs from up North use the Amex! Surely one of the elements of disease control that will be most needed, even if lockdown is partly released, is travel restrictions. I don't really care if they are regularly tested footballers plus an entourage, why should we have people from highly affected areas coming here just to play sport?

Sadly the rumour I've heard is that Barber is in a minority.

The only bit i would take issue with is that ‘’its just sport’’..its quite a large industry and not obviously just the peeps running around on the green bit....so like any industry it will need to discuss its plans to get back up and running....like all others are doing ..unlike them though its being debated in the media and on here ad nauseam .....as events evolve over the weeks/months ahead opinions/perception will change in my opinion what seems ‘unsafe’ now might be deemed ‘safe’ ....this definition of ‘safe’ ..well thats another matter...slightly off topic I’m for finishing the season for all leagues...but dont believe we can put a time limit on it right now because we just dont know when it will be ‘safe’..just like no one knows when the next one can start ..but all that is another debate

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
I read half of EPL clubs are against playing at neutral grounds.

I generally cant get my head around if matches were played behind closed doors at the home ground, why supporters would turn up. What would be the point?

Even in Liverpool's situation, when it comes down to the potential title winning game, supporters wouldn't be able to get inside the stadium, yet alone watch the match.

You'd turn up at the ground and just be like, what now? Even mindless supporters celebrating with each other outside, surely that's just as likely to happen in the city centre.

I mentioned Liverpool as an example as I dont see that sort of thing happening with any other club this season. Sheff Utd finishing in a European spot? I couldn't see loads of supporters just turning up to celebrate outside Bramall Lane

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I read half of EPL clubs are against playing at neutral grounds.

I generally cant get my head around if matches were played behind closed doors at the home ground, why supporters would turn up. What would be the point?

Even in Liverpool's situation, when it comes down to the potential title winning game, supporters wouldn't be able to get inside the stadium, yet alone watch the match.

You'd turn up at the ground and just be like, what now? Even mindless supporters celebrating with each other outside, surely that's just as likely to happen in the city centre.

I mentioned Liverpool as an example as I dont see that sort of thing happening with any other club this season. Sheff Utd getting finishing in a European spot? I couldn't see loads of supporters just turning up to celebrate outside Bramall Lane

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

It will be worse with pubs not open. But Liverpool winning the league for the first time in 30 years - of course thousands of them are going to celebrate together

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It’s dumb, one person gets it at any team and spreads it to the some of the rest of the team and you’ve got a total shambles. It’s utter nonsense, it should not even be being discussed to restart until the virus is well under control. It’s farcical, when I read the article about players training and playing in masks I genuinely thought it was April fools.

There’s only one thing driving the PL bosses and we all know what that is.

It's utterly farcical.

What if it was to actually go ahead and a player gets a serious case of it/viral load and is hospitalised to an ICU? What happens to him when or if he recovers from pneumonia to his lungs and the ability to play at that level in the future? A top player who cost close to £100m when he was bought. :shrug:

I'd love to be his lawyer, because I'd retiring after that court case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports