Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber Opposes PL Restart Plan

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
I really think this is just the league trying to show willing to complete the season so they can demonstrate to the broadcasters they had at least tried. Ultimately this decision will be made once the government announces the next social distancing guidelines. I can't see how it is workable personally, if one player tests positive after a game, that is essentially two teams that will be required to self isolate for a week at least for an incubation period. That would undermine the legitamacy of the competition I would imagine.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Personally I’d finish the season as it is - nothing rewarded. Furlough players so clubs preserve cash.

If this causes a mass reset on the PL & EFL and players all go abroad so be it - but I can’t feasibly see any other way out.

Not often on NSC that someone sleeps on a problem and considers it properly, let alone backtracks, but on reflection I think you are probably right. If you cannot complete the season in a satisfactory manner - and that includes properly seeing who goes up from the Championship - then the season probably just has to not count and start again when safe. The only issue for me is what to do with the records achieved. Does Liverpool's unbeaten streak count. Has Potter had a PL win and Trossard and Connolly PL goals? What about booking carrying over and what happens to suspended players when we restart? Golden Boot? These are not reasons to go ahead with the season BTW but just more complications that would need to be agreed.

I see Sky Sports news tonight taliking about the likelihood of Premier league clubs preparing themselves to play in empty stadiums for the whole of next season. I think most of us think this is a distinct possibility but how could clubs in the lower divisions survive (assuming this applies to them as well) without their revenue which as we all know is largely made up of match day income?

The news channels all mention the likelihood of hundreds if not thousands of businesses going under after the virus has died down somewhat - how many of these clubs in leagues 1 and 2 will join them, or are there some contingency measures for them? (Can't see Furloughing continuing for another year).

On the "CV Good News" thread someone posted Ireland's lockdown exit plan. It had contact sport and full stadiums to watch it both back this calendar year. I don't think anyone genuinely knows but I thought their plan was pretty optimistic. Nevertheless, it exists. For me the worst case scenario (for football) sees no games at all until 2021 under any conditions. This idea is probably the next worst. As for L1 and L2 you would have to televise their matches and get their fans to pay to receive the broadcast I guess. In a world of streaming availability and with behind closed doors hardly being a sexy product I don't think there would be many takers.

We are certainly in a good position with Tony in charge and as soon as sport restarts on a global basis Star Lizard are back in business. Had we still been at Withdean we'd already be dead I reckon.

Some news some may have missed BTW - Aussie Rugby League to restart on 28 May with the scheduled State of Origin games still going ahead in our mid-summer. Having lived over there I can say it would be highly unlikely State of Origin would be behind closed doors - it's a massive piss up. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/52227561

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Indeed. They would need to be already mathematically certain of promotion to have any creditable legal case.

I know little about the law but I imagine that it would be far harder for the PL to defend a claim from a club (Villa for example) that had been relegated from its riches by administrative decree with 92 games to play than it would to defend a claim from a club (Brentford for example) that might, possibly, with a good run, no injuries and a fair wind, have found itself promoted.

For me, that has always been one of the reasons for wanting an early conclusion to the season and promotions-but-no-relegations.

There are several other reasons too (including, as an add-on, self-preservation.)

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I know little about the law but I imagine that it would be far harder for the PL to defend a claim from a club (Villa for example) that had been relegated from its riches by administrative decree with 92 games to play than it would to defend a claim from a club (Brentford for example) that might, possibly, with a good run, no injuries and a fair wind, have found itself promoted.

For me, that has always been one of the reasons for wanting an early conclusion to the season and promotions-but-no-relegations.

There are several other reasons too (including, as an add-on, self-preservation.)

This.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Not often on NSC that someone sleeps on a problem and considers it properly, let alone backtracks, but on reflection I think you are probably right. If you cannot complete the season in a satisfactory manner - and that includes properly seeing who goes up from the Championship - then the season probably just has to not count and start again when safe. The only issue for me is what to do with the records achieved. Does Liverpool's unbeaten streak count. Has Potter had a PL win and Trossard and Connolly PL goals? What about booking carrying over and what happens to suspended players when we restart? Golden Boot? These are not reasons to go ahead with the season BTW but just more complications that would need to be agreed.

And have we finally won away to a Big Six team or not?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here