Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I think that they need to be realistic now, a couple of top coaches have interviewed and turned them down, almost certainly because the club is skint. They probably need to be looking at the next tier of coaches (Bilic, Wilder, Silva..etc) someone who'd be happy to have a job at a club like theirs.

Bilic would do a good job, he seems to fit the bill too with his personality.

Bilic has recently joined Beijing Guoan, so Palace would need to pay his contract out. Wilder is one of the current favourites for the Barnsley job.

Can see Silva being linked, though after the Everton job he was quoted as having had enough of English football and wanted a different challenge.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Pre-season starts next Monday, jeez they're cutting it fine, mind you they could hold pre-season in an indoor 5-a-side place and use the Apprentice Centre Manager as their interim coach

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I agree, most clubs these days have a structured management running through from junior all the way up to U23 level that runs without much impact from 1st team manager / coach. So when a manager leaves it doesn’t impact the club at all the other levels, this is why Nuno will struggle as he wanted to bring 8 staff with him.

Given you currently only have a GK coach on the staff, why is this a bad thing? The wages of those 8 is probably less a year than 2 months of Bentekes wage. Maybe a bit of investment in the coaching side would be more sensible than spunking more wages on ageing premier league footballers?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its an absolutely delightful shambles isn't it ? I have to say I am thoroughly enjoying it. The longer it goes on, the more fun it gets.

Bravo to the Spiv and all involved :clap2:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think I must be confused? No Manager still you say? No backroom staff either? Virtually no players on contract? Half of last seasons first teams contracts expire as of Weds? Pre season training starts in a week? Season starts in 6 weeks? Oh deary me...... :ffsparr::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's funny how spin works.

'We didn't want Brett Farve, his people actually came to the club, not the other way around'.

If that were to be true.

Of all the vacancies in Planet Football, Farve sounded out palace.
He actively wanted palace.
The palace job was the one he was chasing...

... At the 11th hour he refused to sign the contact for the job he pushed himself to the head of the queue, preferring instead to stay unemployed.

I don't think that's quite how spin works. :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Still finish above us...

...it's the lore.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Given you currently only have a GK coach on the staff, why is this a bad thing? The wages of those 8 is probably less a year than 2 months of Bentekes wage. Maybe a bit of investment in the coaching side would be more sensible than spunking more wages on ageing premier league footballers?

It reads good but its not correct.

U18s manager , Paddy McCathy ( I think they won their league )
U23s Shaun Derry, Got the U23s promoted.
Sporting director, Dougie Freedman
Goal keeping coach Dean Kiely

And various other list of academy staff and sports science people 15 in all. Actually its quite mind boggling looking at the list, Analysts physios and even a "soft tissue therapist" !!

Actually forgot about Shaun Derry, loved him as a player, could do a job ?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
SOunds amusing. Is this true? They've banged on about it a fair bit on here.

Again sounds good but not true.

The Premier League has awarded Crystal Palace F.C’s Academy Category 1 status following an independent assessment – the highest category possible for academies in the country.

Palace has a rich history in developing world-class football talent, with 36 players coming through the Academy ranks to reach the first-team in the last 15 years, making more than 1,000 appearances collectively for the Eagles. The latest Academy graduate coming through the ranks was full-back Tyrick Mitchell, who made his first appearance during July’s match against Leicester City.

The club secured a long-term lease for the Academy site opposite its first-team training ground on Copers Cope Road, Beckenham, in December 2018, with planning permission for a major upgrade to facilities formally granted last month, with works well underway.

Club Chairman Steve Parish said: "Achieving Category 1 status is the culmination of an immense amount of hard work from our staff, and it is an incredible achievement in such a short space of time since securing the land and planning permission.

"Our ambition is to have one of the country’s leading football academies to capitalise on the hotbed of footballing talent in south London. The investment in the playing facilities, education offering and player care provision will enable us to attract and develop the next generation of Wilfried Zahas and Aaron Wan-Bissakas.

"Furthermore, we are committed to having a transformational impact on the lives of the wider community and especially the 200 plus boys that are directly in our care at any one time, whether they make it to the professional ranks or not.

"The whole Academy site will also be widely used by the club to enhance our presence in the community – not just the playing facilities. We are looking at ways we can positively affect the lives of young people using the education facilities for job training and further education.

"I would finally like to take this opportunity to thank the thousands of our supporters who have already generously committed to becoming Academy Founder Members, helping us further enhance this magnificent project for the benefit of our young players for years to come."

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Again sounds good but not true.

The Premier League has awarded Crystal Palace F.C’s Academy Category 1 status following an independent assessment – the highest category possible for academies in the country.

Palace has a rich history in developing world-class football talent, with 36 players coming through the Academy ranks to reach the first-team in the last 15 years, making more than 1,000 appearances collectively for the Eagles. The latest Academy graduate coming through the ranks was full-back Tyrick Mitchell, who made his first appearance during July’s match against Leicester City.

The club secured a long-term lease for the Academy site opposite its first-team training ground on Copers Cope Road, Beckenham, in December 2018, with planning permission for a major upgrade to facilities formally granted last month, with works well underway.

Club Chairman Steve Parish said: "Achieving Category 1 status is the culmination of an immense amount of hard work from our staff, and it is an incredible achievement in such a short space of time since securing the land and planning permission.

"Our ambition is to have one of the country’s leading football academies to capitalise on the hotbed of footballing talent in south London. The investment in the playing facilities, education offering and player care provision will enable us to attract and develop the next generation of Wilfried Zahas and Aaron Wan-Bissakas.

"Furthermore, we are committed to having a transformational impact on the lives of the wider community and especially the 200 plus boys that are directly in our care at any one time, whether they make it to the professional ranks or not.

"The whole Academy site will also be widely used by the club to enhance our presence in the community – not just the playing facilities. We are looking at ways we can positively affect the lives of young people using the education facilities for job training and further education.

"I would finally like to take this opportunity to thank the thousands of our supporters who have already generously committed to becoming Academy Founder Members, helping us further enhance this magnificent project for the benefit of our young players for years to come."

You don't even own it!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
It's funny how spin works.

'We didn't want Brett Farve, his people actually came to the club, not the other way around'.

That would have been a real coup for Palace. I mean, I know he's unhappy at the Packers and all, but still...

72709124.jpg.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here