On the way home from Derby - not good enough

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
It's weird, you bring a little perspective by clarifying "one of the worst" rather than "the worst", but then go and open it up to non-albion games as well.

I'm confused, what is it you find weird? (not being sarcastic btw)

Crikey mate you have been lucky if a draw at Derby County is a bad performance. Having watched Albion in every division from the top flight to to the lowest division I can point to years and years of dire performances week in week out. So to make the point then get the video of the Hereford game. Just look at the standard of football, we really were dreadful.. and that was a vast improvement from when Jimmy Case was manager. i will also give you some random games when the team failed to turn up like a disgraceful 4-0 drubbing at Readings Elm Park many a year ago.

It wasn't a bad performance, even though we were below our best. I'm very glad we got a point which I think is a good result. However, the 1st half with stray passes and a lack of chances (I don't think either side had a shot on target) was lacking quality which resulted in a poor 45 mins.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm confused, what is it you find weird? (not being sarcastic btw)

Well, "the worst first half albion performance" is one single performance out of thousands, and is met with disbelief, with the history of this club, and the generally accepted wisdom of football constantly improving (= getting worse as you go back in history) that the performance on saturday was the one to take that honour is quite ridiculous.

By clarifying it's the ones you've seen, you bring it down to one performance out of hundreds.

By then clarifying it's "one of the worst" then perhaps it's one of the worst 50 out of a couple of hundred. Which, while I'm sure some will disagree, is less absurd, because top fifty out of 100 is pretty open.

But then, you remove the proviso that it's just Brighton games, opening up to every televised game from the premier league, championship, league one, league two, scottish premier league, cup games featuring minnows against giants, european football, international competitions including world cups here small nation of part timers might have faced small nation of part timers etc., plus professional and amateur stuff you have attended live that don't involve albion including, reserve team games, schoolboy football and sunday pub teams. Suddenly 50 out of a couple of hundred, goes to 50 out of a few thousand, which is not so reasonable.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Well, "the worst first half albion performance" is one single performance out of thousands, and is met with disbelief, with the history of this club, and the generally accepted wisdom of football constantly improving (= getting worse as you go back in history) that the performance on saturday was the one to take that honour is quite ridiculous.

By clarifying it's the ones you've seen, you bring it down to one performance out of hundreds.

By then clarifying it's "one of the worst" then perhaps it's one of the worst 50 out of a couple of hundred. Which, while I'm sure some will disagree, is less absurd, because top fifty out of 100 is pretty open.

But then, you remove the proviso that it's just Brighton games, opening up to every televised game from the premier league, championship, league one, league two, scottish premier league, cup games featuring minnows against giants, european football, international competitions including world cups here small nation of part timers might have faced small nation of part timers etc., plus professional and amateur stuff you have attended live that don't involve albion including, reserve team games, schoolboy football and sunday pub teams. Suddenly 50 out of a couple of hundred, goes to 50 out of a few thousand, which is not so reasonable.

Fair enough. Of the professional football games I have seen, I found the lack of quality from both teams resulted in one of worst 1st half's I'd ever seen. I've seen worse teams put on more entertaining matches, and better teams play out worse games.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Didn't say it was the worst. Said it was one of the worst 1st halfs, as in quality of football, i'd ever seen. Not Albion specific games, just in general.

So you saw plenty of third division football under the likes of Slade and Adams when we were awful and thought Saturday was one of the worst? I'm sorry but my original comment stands.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This, we had the better chances, Liam hit the bar (admittedly deflected), Lopez fired one too high after a great move, Dobbie almost put through twice, Orlandi header just over. Ok, we failed with all of them, but all they had was a couple of long shots well saved by TK. We dominated possession at a good Championship ground, let's get a grip everyone, compared to what we have had for the past 20(?) years this is great entertainment and I'm going to keep on coming back for more.

I'm glad somebody saw the same game as me.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Good performance just lacking a cutting edge. Very solid at the back but we missed CMS badly.

The abuse of Dobbie was fuckin ridiculous and really pissed me off. Some twat behind me was banging on about Dobbie f***ing off back to Swansea for most of the second half.

He's a good player and was more of a threat than Barnes today. He needs some confidence and to be played in the right position. Looking forward to him linking up with CMS. A couple of times today he would get slagged off for not closing a player down when there was another Brighton player nearer the ball than him. Pathetic.

The guy behind me gave Dobbie a mouthful AS HE CAME ON AS SUB. Jeez. I just turned and looked at him and shook my head. Why do these people bother travelling?Dobbie is still finding his way, but he produced a moment of quality with a perfect lay-off for David which he should have passed into the corner of the net.

The OP said we had no fight, utter rubbish. We matched Derby toe-to-toe and El Abd, Bridcutt and Bridge were outstanding in this regard.

PG

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Crikey mate you have been lucky if a draw at Derby County is a bad performance. Having watched Albion in every division from the top flight to to the lowest division I can point to years and years of dire performances week in week out. So to make the point then get the video of the Hereford game. Just look at the standard of football, we really were dreadful.. and that was a vast improvement from when Jimmy Case was manager. i will also give you some random games when the team failed to turn up like a disgraceful 4-0 drubbing at Readings Elm Park many a year ago.

I'm with WCP on this one, (and the Latvian girls too!).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The guy behind me gave Dobbie a mouthful AS HE CAME ON AS SUB. Jeez. I just turned and looked at him and shook my head. Why do these people bother travelling?Dobbie is still finding his way, but he produced a moment of quality with a perfect lay-off for David which he should have passed into the corner of the net.

The OP said we had no fight, utter rubbish. We matched Derby toe-to-toe and El Abd, Bridcutt and Bridge were outstanding in this regard.

PG

It was a poor match, but we were the better of the two teams. If we had scraped a 1-0 then there is no way anyone would have said it was one of the worst all time performances.

Walsall on a Tuesday night a few seasons ago comes to mind as utter toilet though!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We had 54% possession, 11 shots, 7 corners, 2 x hit the woodwork.

There have been Albion performances when we have not threatened the keeper for 90 minutes.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Just watched the highlights and we looked very good. If David/Orlandi/Dobbie/Hammond had finished the many chances we would have been well clear and everyone over joyed. Looked promising to me.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
From the outset and the way we set up it was quite obvious to all in the away end that we'd be lucky to leave with a point. I have to say that is the worst Albion performance I've seen in the 4 games I've seen so far this season. Players had no battle or any will.

Albion fans have a new boo-boy favourite though with people already on Dobbie's back. He's not a striker, you can tell that by the positions he takes up on the field.

Difficult 3 games coming up, be delighted if we can get 5 points

I was a bit deflated after the game but if anyone has seagullsplayer watch the extended highlights. Makes you realise how much we bossed the game and what good football we played and how they were very lucky to get the point.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I was a bit deflated after the game but if anyone has seagullsplayer watch the extended highlights. Makes you realise how much we bossed the game and what good football we played and how they were very lucky to get the point.

I said we played well on this thread 30 mins after the game had finished and was amazed people were saying we were shit so I was right after all

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was pretty 'meh' about Saturday's performance at the time but, on reflection, it wasn't that bad at all with a draw being the right result based on performances.

I think it felt bad because it came on the back of two largely ordinary home performances. I doubt there are many Albion fans who, on the Saturday of the Birmingham game, would have predicted that over the 3 games we faced last week we'd only score once and only pick up 2 points. Simply, it wasn't a good week at the office for us. But, we do still have the best goal difference in the division and still the best defence. The two week break should allow us to feel optimistic of upcoming fixtures as crucial players return to fitness.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
I said we played well on this thread 30 mins after the game had finished and was amazed people were saying we were shit so I was right after all

Yes we played well but we lacked a bit up front. Not sure if that's good tac-tics and defending by Derby or the Barnes/Dobbie combination not working. We defnitely missed Buckley, going off early.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Yes we played well but we lacked a bit up front. Not sure if that's good tac-tics and defending by Derby or the Barnes/Dobbie combination not working. We defnitely missed Buckley, going off early.

Yes we were a bit lacking up front but we all knew that with cms out injured & gus still not finding another target man within our budget , but still had shots hitting the woodwork a header from Hammond that looked from behind the goal easier to score than miss , Lopez blazing over the bar (another good chance ) and dobbie could of done better on two occasions in front of goal , when all Derby had was two long range efforts the whole game the first coming in the 72nd minute
I too was thinking after the last two home games that we were looking flat like we did last season on our bad ten game run but saw enough on Saturday to think otherwise

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
So you saw plenty of third division football under the likes of Slade and Adams when we were awful and thought Saturday was one of the worst? I'm sorry but my original comment stands.

I don't think you get what i'm saying. I saw awful games under Adams, Wilkins ect. However, some of them the other teams played well or there were a few moments of quality that made the game exciting. I think we did ok on saturday, but were poor in what was a shit first half by both teams.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove

It doesn't matter what division the match is in or what the standard of the players are like
A crap half of football is a crap half of football

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Odd one, this - it's really divided opinion, and not just among the fans. The club and players seem to view it as a better result than many of the supporters, reading their post-match stuff. Personally (maybe I temper expectations more than averagely, I don't know) I still regard every point won away from home in this division as a good one.

But, I thought we lacked a bit of bite, we certainly lacked a bit of movement and had we been slightly more ambitious we could have won the game. El-Abd seemed to suggest that this is what cost us at Hull, but if they're serious about mounting a promotion challenge they can't afford to be too cautious away from home, especially when every home game is turning into an exercise in laying seige to determined defences.

Hey-ho. Maybe, if we pick up results after the international break with the (desperately missed) CM-S back, among others, this one will look better in context. But I don't much like the look of the run of games we've got coming up, so this could turn out to have been a missed opportunity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports