Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not Another Ashley Barnes Thread

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Another Barnes fan here:wave:

Whenever I see a Barnes thread it always reminds me of the classic one started by Mr Burns when we were in league one, stating that Barnes was shit and that within a year or two he would 'find his level' in non league. And the magnificent lengths Mr Burns then went to to try and justify his ridiculous statements as first Barnes became a regular in the team, then scored 20 goals in the league destroying team, then proved himself more than capable of holding his own in the championship. Sadly the thread had vanished by the time Barnes made it to the premier league.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?192944-Ashley-Barnes-isn-t-nearly-good-enough-for-us

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Baldock and Barnes both have different qualities, different things they bring to the table and do for the team. Their similarity is that as forwards, they are often judged purely on the goals/game ratio. Other than the odd worldy, neither of them seem to do anything "amazing" like a Sanchez or an Aguero on a regular basis. They're never going to be prolific strikers at the levels they're playing at.

But they are effective players who fit well into a system and can perform to a high level. That's better than "average at best" IMO, even if it isn't anything what you'd call spectacular.

Average at best compared to his peers. I think Baldock is better all round. Quicker, better finisher, control, works just as hard, ability to run beyond the forward. Barnes does stay fit, I'll give him that. All opinions!

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Always really rated him, tho the sight of him on his knees with arms pleading at the ref every 5 mins used to really do my head my in.

Good value for his post match interviews mind, especially how pleased he was with the 3 points after our cup, (replay?) win....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
last season Ashley Barnes would have finished up equal on goals with Murray, if not more.

Only JCL Amexers would suggest otherwise.

I'm not sure if other people have bitten, having not read past the first page of this thread..........but I'm going to bite!!! :wink:

As far removed from a JCL as you can get, but in my (humble) OPINION, I would have driven Barnes anywhere years before he left. A walking yellow card that man. Good at heading out the box granted, but no thanks, not for me.

Barnes = pure Marmite

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I can't believe that some people still think Gus Poyet's coaching achievement in getting Adam El Abd to play a few easy and boring possession retaining passes was the reason we won League One...

To be fair to GP, he also taught T. Elphick to to play a few easy and boring possession retaining passes. To you Tommy. To you Adam. To you Tommy. To you Adam. (repeat six times). Then back to Ankergren for an aimless hoof upfield. Looked good on GP's possession stats though.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
He's pushed on since he left us. As already said - he's done a lot better than the likes of Bridcutt and Buckley.

But getting suspended for 8 games for tripping the ref in the middle of a promotion push is very likely to get fans upset.

Rose tinted specs from a few on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No one booed him at Withdean.

At the Amex, a noisy minority didn't rate him. That's all.

Also victims of that were David Lopez (he was NOT loved all the time), Sparrow, Harley, Dicker, Vokes (ironically now a PL star also at Burnley), and when Noonie left I recall bitters saying they "never rated him anyway."

Booing sometimes extended to most the team:
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?291049-Did-you-boo-at-half-and-or-at-fulltime/page14

Let's not change history, one free-kick aside Harley was shocking.

The others got less justifiable stick imo.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Really can't believe we're in denial about there being boos for Barnes. He himself heard them and was quoted as such.
[I was aware] of "boos and stuff like that" he was reported as saying back in Nov 2013. I heard em too although it was mostly mock horror that he was taking a penalty (he scored by the way)
See this thread:
https://twitter.com/AndyNaylorArgus/status/399821283661062144

Was that before or after his '3 points for a cup win' comment? Or his kicking the referee up in the air when we were desperately short of strikers?

He was booed, but so what? Diddums... he was great for us in league 1, average for us in the Championship, and no big miss... we've hardly struggled without him, have we?

FFS the romancing of his average contribution to our cause on here makes me sick...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He's pushed on since he left us. As already said - he's done a lot better than the likes of Bridcutt and Buckley.

But getting suspended for 8 games for tripping the ref in the middle of a promotion push is very likely to get fans upset.

Rose tinted specs from a few on here.

Spot on...

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Claret fan here, Barnes has a lot of qualities which I'm a fan of. I watched him cover two roles (left mid when we defended and the main target man when we attacked) when we played with 10 men at Watford. Superb shift.

We play 442 and, as has been pointed out by many a pundit, many teams in the Prem have CBs only used to picking up one man between them. He's a handful and his adaptability means he can work alongside Vokes or Gray.

I haven't seen Baldock much but hopes he does well in the Prem, as I do Brighton.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Really can't believe we're in denial about there being boos for Barnes. He himself heard them and was quoted as such.
[I was aware] of "boos and stuff like that" he was reported as saying back in Nov 2013. I heard em too although it was mostly mock horror that he was taking a penalty (he scored by the way)
See this thread:
https://twitter.com/AndyNaylorArgus/status/399821283661062144

Any 'fan' who boos one of their own players, is the complete antithesis of a true supporter, (in my opinion anyway).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here