Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not Another Ashley Barnes Thread

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Nobody's said he's Neymar.

But he's clearly a far better player than many were prepared to give him credit for. The facts are that he is now plying his trade in the Premier League, playing and scoring goals for a club that is punching well above its weight even being at the elite level. Not quite the lower-league DUFFER that some on here had him pegged as. As a forward, he clearly contributes more to the team than just goals.

If you really want to recycle the whole Baldock debate.

My personal opinion is that he is average at best when compared to his peers. He has no qualities that are stand out. Baldock is much better player I think.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Ashley Barnes was too good for a lot of the Brighton so called supporters, they did not have the ability to see what he did when he did not have the ball and how he influenced a game.
They also did not realise how strong he was and did not even appreciate that he gave 100% every match.
A few stupid tackles and the odd poor game and he was given pelters, cocks the lot of them.
We may mock Burnley but they are PL and stayed there, if Ashley was no good they would not have bought him or shipped him out by now.
Some Brighton fans make my piss boil.

Probably the same people who criticised Baldock, ' the shit midget' as I heard him called.
As I've said in previous threads, some people go to football, and only watch the ball, others go to football, and watch the game.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My personal opinion is that he is average at best when compared to his peers. He has no qualities that are stand out. Baldock is much better player I think.

Baldock and Barnes both have different qualities, different things they bring to the table and do for the team. Their similarity is that as forwards, they are often judged purely on the goals/game ratio. Other than the odd worldy, neither of them seem to do anything "amazing" like a Sanchez or an Aguero on a regular basis. They're never going to be prolific strikers at the levels they're playing at.

But they are effective players who fit well into a system and can perform to a high level. That's better than "average at best" IMO, even if it isn't anything what you'd call spectacular.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Another Barnes fan here:wave:

Whenever I see a Barnes thread it always reminds me of the classic one started by Mr Burns when we were in league one, stating that Barnes was shit and that within a year or two he would 'find his level' in non league. And the magnificent lengths Mr Burns then went to to try and justify his ridiculous statements as first Barnes became a regular in the team, then scored 20 goals in the league destroying team, then proved himself more than capable of holding his own in the championship. Sadly the thread had vanished by the time Barnes made it to the premier league.

Although happily, Mr Burns has too. :smile:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There's no denying Barnes was a decent player for us though infuriating at times, but he's an honest lad who has made the most of his talent. It's interesting to contrast his fortunes with those of his Albion peers Liam Bridcutt and Will Buckley.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Barnes was and is a great player. Have never quite got my head around why such a vocal section of our support were so down on him, what was there not to like? A hard working striker with a good attitude, and he scored goals...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Talking out of your anus here.

Barnes is one of the first names on Dyche's list, and has been since the day he arrived.

2013/14 Signed in January and played that Saturday, and in every one of their remaining 21 Championship games that season.
2014/15 Played in 35 of their 38 Prem matches. I can't be bothered to check, but I'd imagine he was suspended for the other three.
2015/16 Returned form long term knee injury in April, and played all 8 of their remaining games (in Championship)
2016/17 Played in 28 Prem matches, missing a couple of months with another injury.

He's played basically EVERY match he's been available for. You couldn't really be more wrong if you tried.

All of this.

I struggle with the anti-Barnes sentiment on here.

Baldock's rubbish as well................. oh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Baldock is a superb player,... in my view, Barnes is not.

I think Barnes is at least as good as Baldock if not better, better defensively, more adaptable and now proven in PL.

I do rate Baldock quite highly though.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I always saw Barnes as an average Championship striker, but have to admit he has proved himself at Prem level... however, the club got a reasonable fee considering his contract was up at end of season, so no criticism of our club from me on this one (unlike the Muzza departure ****-up)... I still think we will do a lot better with a striker acquisition this summer, but credit where credit is due to Barnes...

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I think Barnes is at least as good as Baldock if not better, better defensively, more adaptable and now proven in PL.

I do rate Baldock quite highly though.

Assuming both are fit, I would wager a tenner that Baldock gets more goals than Barnes in Prem this coming season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Barnes fan here. I rate Dyche's view over the unknowing Barnes haters.

Barnes is a solid forward in the top two flights of football, a great competitor, works his socks off, rarely injured, links midfield with out-and-out strikers, unselfish, and tenacious.

On that last point, in our early Amex teams, we had many gifted players so opponents tried to bully us. Barnes was great at standing up to that, giving us steel.

I have fond memories of the young Barnes with his hatful of vital goals and assists at Withdean, and his work in the Amex team finding its feet.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I love these threads. Watch all posters come out and say they loved him. :wink:

I'm sure they will – some people tend to change their opinions (and voice them) by the minute sometimes, so it wouldn't surprise me.

However, I never had a bad word to say about him on here or while watching him play though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm sure they will – some people tend to change their opinions (and voice them) by the minute sometimes, so it wouldn't surprise me.

However, I never had a bad word to say about him on here or while watching him play though.

Barnes was debated in great detail 2011 to 2013 whilst he was still our player. Usual pattern, a hater would start a thread and others such as myself defended his attributes as we saw it. It really did happen, not a case of hindsight.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Baldock is a superb player,... in my view, Barnes is not.

Barnes is the type of player who offers a lot to the team, not just in terms of goal scoring. If you rate a player just on that then yeah, he's probably not the best. But then, if you do rate him just on that there's a chance you're a clueless simpleton. I guess we'll never know.

I liked him at the time - playing out of position for the most part if I remember. Annoyed the crap out of me when his anger/petulance got the better of him (see: ref tripping, his Burnley sending off etc) but was never angry to see him on the pitch or in the starting line-up.

I'll most fondly remember him for his comment after the Wrexham replay in the cup though :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here