Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not Another Ashley Barnes Thread

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Barnes was a top lad, well liked by his team-mates, who never gave anything less than 100%. Not just a good player, but a FAR more intelligent player than given credit for by many - excellent at winning free-kicks, and the only one truly on a wave-length with Vicente, who loved playing with him. Prepared to follow instructions to the letter and play absolutely anywhere for the team without complaint - despite his subsequent dip in scoring rates being used against him. Excellent defensively, in open play on the left, and aerially in our box.

Despite all that, some fans made themselves look a bit silly when he was here, in arguing that he was 'rubbish'.

That anyone STILL tries to argue that, after he's PROVEN them wrong over the course of two Premier League campaigns, just shows them to be completely stupid.

Great post.

I wonder if most of the back stabbers against Barnes were genuinely Withdean regulars. At a very young age, Barnes fitted in immediately. We may well NOT have been promoted without his vital goals, assists, hold up play, stamina and putting the foot in, in midfield when needed. In my opinion, those traits carries on into the Championship, but the goals lessened as Poyet placed him deeper in helping the midfield, leaving CMS and a long list of (poor) loanee centre forwards as the only true striker in any first 11.

The :fishing: wind-ups about Barnes every few months reveal that very British trait of jealousy.

Dyche knows far more about football than the spiteful.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm not sure if other people have bitten, having not read past the first page of this thread..........but I'm going to bite!!! :wink:

As far removed from a JCL as you can get, but in my (humble) OPINION, I would have driven Barnes anywhere years before he left. A walking yellow card that man. Good at heading out the box granted, but no thanks, not for me.

Barnes = pure Marmite

Good at heading [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Perhaps you wouldn't feel quite so sick, if you didn't exaggerate.

Where is the exaggeration? Barnes is a moron, and he proved it when he got that ban, delivered those infamous press comments... the one that really gets me is where the Barnes-loving morons say he was better than Leo... he wasn't and, I'm sure, still isn't...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Where is the exaggeration? Barnes is a moron, and he proved it when he got that ban, delivered those infamous press comments... the one that really gets me is where the Barnes-loving morons say he was better than Leo... he wasn't and, I'm sure, still isn't...

Catching the heel of the referee, as witnessed by me and others on Nsc, is not kicking the referee up in the air. But then you knew that.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Barnes was, and still remains, in a different class to Ulloa in what he offers to a side. Versatile too.

Just my opinion mind.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Given the choice of Leo or Barnes, back here, I'd take Barnes.

Partly because I really rate him, but mostly just to p1ss off some knobs on here.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Barnes was a top lad, well liked by his team-mates, who never gave anything less than 100%. Not just a good player, but a FAR more intelligent player than given credit for by many - excellent at winning free-kicks, and the only one truly on a wave-length with Vicente, who loved playing with him. Prepared to follow instructions to the letter and play absolutely anywhere for the team without complaint - despite his subsequent dip in scoring rates being used against him. Excellent defensively, in open play on the left, and aerially in our box.

Despite all that, some fans made themselves look a bit silly when he was here, in arguing that he was 'rubbish'.

That anyone STILL tries to argue that, after he's PROVEN them wrong over the course of two Premier League campaigns, just shows them to be completely stupid.

Great post. Think some people forget how often he was asked to play wide left, to fit in CMS or whoever else. You only need to look at Baldock to see how much that can affect a player.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'd take Barnes over Leo. He would be great competition for Baldock. Different, but great competition.

He will never be the most talented player on the field, but he will get the absolute maximum out of the talent he has and will be far more successful than many more talented players.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Given the choice of Leo or Barnes, back here, I'd take Barnes.

Partly because I really rate him, but mostly just to p1ss off some knobs on here.
You clearly don't have a ****ing clue.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I'd take Barnes over Leo. He would be great competition for Baldock. Different, but great competition.

He will never be the most talented player on the field, but he will get the absolute maximum out of the talent he has and will be far more successful than many more talented players.
:facepalm:

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Ulloa over Barnes any day if I had to pick. I'm hoping for some pace up top. I was hopeful it would be Abraham...our chances are.diminishing by the day sadly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here