Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North stand stewards AGAIN

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
The club must take action against those who deny others of watching the game,this can easily be solved by use of the CCTV and withdrawing the season tickets of those that are guilty,there are plenty of people who will take their places and behave themselves.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
Thanks for the info , the Department of Culture , Media & Sport are the real puppet-masters of the SGSA so it will be in their interest to enforce the law to stop any threats of rebellion.

True, but I'm not sure DCMS care that much themselves. They're just happy with the status quo on this and so they take all their advice on policy from the subject matter experts, SGSA. And SGSA know that if policy on persistent standing is changed then there's no major role for SGSA in future, so guess what their advice to DCMS is .....

But really it's down to the extent that the local SGSA inspector wants to push it, and how much leverage he has with the local authority to enforce things. Some club CEOs and Safety Officers push back and point out that these regulations are unenforcible if large numbers are determined to stand. In that case the emphasis generally changes to making sure that aisles and walkways are kept clear. Chis Baker was in this camp - sounds like he's losing the battle to stand up (geddit?) against SGSA!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Think we should tell the stewards

"We pay for your vests, We pay for your vessssts, We are the North Stand, We pay for your vests"

kjgood

I sit/stand at times in the North Stand, A block, row N. I really dont mind wether i stand or sit, it depends how the game is going i suppose. I have never found the need to comment on the stewards before, but feel i must this week.

The stewards in NA1 were really going over the top this week in shouting at people to sit down, far more than normal as though they had been given new instructions, especially trying to make contact with those in the middle of rows. For those seated near an aisle this is really off putting, and in some ways ruined my ' Going to the match experience' this week.

There was also a 'Response Steward', one of the guys with a big badge on his arm, a dark haired guy who was really looking for trouble throughout the whole game. He spent the game pointing and staring at people. I know he is there to do a job, but he was really looking for a chance to throw someone out (or it appeared that way).

But i suppose the biggest point I wanted to make is, the stewards spent all the game moaning at us home fans, but the away fans were again left to stand un-nagged all game. Why is that? When i asked a steward the same question, he told me not to worry about them and just worry about our area. Dont the same regulations apply to the away end as well?

I understand the safety concerns and the regulations regarding having to sit and am really not arguing this, but if everyone is standing in front then the only way to see is stand as well.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
No, what he means is that the north stand is the one stand where people are free to shout and swear, and stand and HAVE FUN. If that's not your bag then sit in one of the other stands (which of course you know you just wanted to be difficult)

Spot on

The club must take action against those who deny others of watching the game,this can easily be solved by use of the CCTV and withdrawing the season tickets of those that are guilty,there are plenty of people who will take their places and behave themselves.

Oh dear, read the post above from Superbez. Nobody is denied the chance to watch the game, the people in that stand are in there for a reason, this is the Albion's vocal support. Please leave your prejudice out of it and respect how others wish to watch the game

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oh dear, read the post above from Superbez. Nobody is denied the chance to watch the game, the people in that stand are in there for a reason, this is the Albion's vocal support. Please leave your prejudice out of it and respect how others wish to watch the game

There are people in the north stand who sit to watch the game, and also sing. Surprisingly not all the north stand fans do stand throughout the game, just some of them.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Fed up of standing in the North Stand tbh, would prefer if everyone would sit down and stand up when BHA have a chance

and then sit down afterwards, then stand up again when the ball enters the opponents half, but sit down again when it's cleared, but then, hang on... cms is through, stand up!...nope cleared by the defender, have to sit down again, but knocked straight back into opponents half with lua lua charging down the wing..... f*** that......i'll just keep standing.....:clap::amex:

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Largely because even 82000 fans mixed in together at Twickers, full of beer/guiness, can support their team without causing a ruckus, .... give 200 spotty football fans the same freedom with 2 half shandys and there would be a right kerfuffle.... sad fact of football life.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Absolute Bollocks,I get to drink 6 pints before the game and another at H.T.
Drinking it on the concourse or in my seat wouldn't make much difference to my alcohol intake,a couple more during the game perhaps, then I get to mix with the away fans on the way to the Coach park and don't feel the need to hit them.

From my seat in the North end of the WSU I felt the Stewards were making total tools out of themselves yesterday.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It is trouble for the sake of it. Allowing four rows to stand signalled that standing was going to be tolerated. What did they think was going to happen. Now the match-day experience at the stadium is going to be affected whilst the opposite stand are allowed to stand all game. It makes no sense at all. Just let them stand, and let those that bought in the North Stand expecting to sit (why do that - I have no idea) move.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
it is trouble for the sake of it. Allowing four rows to stand signalled that standing was going to be tolerated. What did they think was going to happen. Now the match-day experience at the stadium is going to be affected whilst the opposite stand are allowed to stand all game. It makes no sense at all. Just let them stand, and let those that bought in the north stand expecting to sit (why do that - i have no idea) move.

this

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Pathetic,Stewards making a fuss over standing in the north but in the away end standing is the rule all game every game. All the stewards posting on here never explain why it is one rule for the Home end but a different rule for the Away end.
why is that NMH and all you other stewards?

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
It's the same at every ground - people complaining "one rule for us, another for them."

And it's not that away fans are allowed to stand - it's that the stewards are unable to stop them standing. So there the emphasis is on keeping aisles and gangways clear. Because the simple fact is that if enough people want to stand it's impossible for stewards to stop them - this is recognised across the industry.

So to meet SAG/SGSA regulations the stewarding teams will focus on fighting the battles they can win, and they have a whole lot more weopens against home supporters - such as club banning orders. They know who the home supporters are and they know they (generally) want to come back again - so they focus on winning thoe battles.

It's not fair - but then again life isn't fair. Get used to it.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It's the same at every ground - people complaining "one rule for us, another for them."

And it's not that away fans are allowed to stand - it's that the stewards are unable to stop them standing. So there the emphasis is on keeping aisles and gangways clear. Because the simple fact is that if enough people want to stand it's impossible for stewards to stop them - this is recognised across the industry.

So to meet SAG/SGSA regulations the stewarding teams will focus on fighting the battles they can win, and they have a whole lot more weopens against home supporters - such as club banning orders. They know who the home supporters are and they know they (generally) want to come back again - so they focus on winning thoe battles.

It's not fair - but then again life isn't fair. Get used to it.

It is all a crock of shit. There is a simple solution that suits everyone - so why go for confrontation ?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Are you having a laugh? When people read these kind of threads they miss the entire point. The problem people have is with stewards making people sit down for little reason (but the law, blah blah f***ing blah) after no complaints. People will sit down if the person behind them wishes to sit also. The issue is stewards creating a non existent problem i.e. if everyone wants to stand. And before you point out the law, how come we were all pretty much allowed to stand throughout the Newcastle game? The law is being applied selectively, which is the problem.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
No, what he means is that the north stand is the one stand where people are free to shout and swear, and stand and HAVE FUN. If that's not your bag then sit in one of the other stands (which of course you know you just wanted to be difficult)

Think you missed the point of my response, If someone purchases a seat, they have every expectation to sit in it to watch the game unless it is in the back 4 rows as advised in the presentation. The rest of the stadium manages to sing shout abuse(swear) whilst sitting down.

To reverse the argument on it head, if sitting and following the terms of the ticket/ stadium rules is not your bag then don't go and let someone who is more respectful of others around them have the seat.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
They'll not make the back four rows sit, there will be uproar, we were speciffically told standing would be tolerated there, that's why most people chose the back. If not a lot would have gone nearer the front.

Only for the current season, as it caused problems with others wanting to stand and the constant argument of " if they are standing why can;t we" next season i can see this tolerance being removed.

It is trouble for the sake of it. Allowing four rows to stand signalled that standing was going to be tolerated. What did they think was going to happen. Now the match-day experience at the stadium is going to be affected whilst the opposite stand are allowed to stand all game. It makes no sense at all. Just let them stand, and let those that bought in the North Stand expecting to sit (why do that - I have no idea) move.

Or, just make everyone sit, because the message that a few rows would be tolerated - so that those who really needed to stand most chose those seats - appears to be misguiding the rest of the stand to imagine it should be alright to treat it all as terracing.
Many of you lot cannot abide with any simple allowances - the rules applying to ALL SEATER stadia are not down to the club and they could conceivably draw a harder line.
Along with the fact that, as most know and has been mentioned, the club may well need a reasonable report before getting permission to put in more seats and expand the capacity (and perhaps not need to RAISE PRICES much if they can get a bigger crowd, and afford essential players you would just love to see at Brighton, maybe Bobby Z again for instance, or maybe other flair of Vicente's level).

Of course, I cannot hold this terrible opinion because I was a steward at one time. Well bollocks, they are at least factors if not facts.
Have a growl and snarl all you like, but if you are going to moan about the simple request to comply and use the seats a little more then it's going to stay an issue.
It's not like if you start acceding to these requests you'll eventually be shackled to your seat and caged.

The idea suggested is not 'unreasonable' in concept, it's just not what the overseeing powers that be, and probably the powers that decide on expansions, are going to allow for.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here