Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North stand stewards AGAIN

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So, imagine the scene, planning permission for expansion refused, amongst the reasons, the failure of the club to prevent persistent standing in the all seater stadium as per the license, along with persistant parking in Coldean Lane etc. these could be the straws that break the camels back, I trust you all have your excuses ready for that, along with those who cant work out how to operate the P&R.

Oh, and that chant about standing when you want, f*** me, what are you all, 10 years old?
erm...so you saying i shouldn't park in coldean and its going to be my fault? :(

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
row P here, after constantly being told to sit down for the derby game, the stewards seemed to stop asking at about row M yesterday.
although at one point i did see a steward with a notebook and pen seemingly writing down seat numbers of some of the rows in front of me :shrug:

I am in WSL where it is pretty much self policed. Whereas the schizophrenic policing (by the stewards) of who can and who cannot stand in the North is almost laughable.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I find it very embarrassing when the bullheaded begin that "We're the north stand, we'll sit when we want." chant and even don't join in with the "Stand up, if you hate Palace." one because it's sang in faux rebellion and outright brattishness. I don't mind standing and i don't mind sitting, but i am conscious mostly of those behind me who might be affected by my actions and stance. It causes me to watch my tongue if i happen to espy a youngster too innocent of ear for my sometime foulness of mouth to bark, and also for me to decide to sit on most occasions so as not to inflict a sore-helledness on those directly behind. People want to stand. Well hooray for them. But it's those who don't that i have greater respect for and am influenced by.
I don't like the people who live by the motto I DO THINGS WHEN I WANT TO. They're a self-polishing breed, their arms forever folded, their help so rarely given.

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
i find it very embarrassing when the bullheaded begin that "we're the north stand, we'll sit when we want." chant and even don't join in with the "stand up, if you hate palace." one because it's sang in faux rebellion and outright brattishness. I don't mind standing and i don't mind sitting, but i am conscious mostly of those behind me who might be affected by my actions and stance. It causes me to watch my tongue if i happen to espy a youngster too innocent of ear for my sometime foulness of mouth to bark, and also for me to decide to sit on most occasions so as not to inflict a sore-helledness on those directly behind. People want to stand. Well hooray for them. But it's those who don't that i have greater respect for and am influenced by.
I don't like the people who live by the motto i do things when i want to. They're a self-polishing breed, their arms forever folded, their help so rarely given.

This!!!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I find it very embarrassing when the bullheaded begin that "We're the north stand, we'll sit when we want." chant and even don't join in with the "Stand up, if you hate Palace." one because it's sang in faux rebellion and outright brattishness. I don't mind standing and i don't mind sitting, but i am conscious mostly of those behind me who might be affected by my actions and stance. It causes me to watch my tongue if i happen to espy a youngster too innocent of ear for my sometime foulness of mouth to bark, and also for me to decide to sit on most occasions so as not to inflict a sore-helledness on those directly behind. People want to stand. Well hooray for them. But it's those who don't that i have greater respect for and am influenced by.
I don't like the people who live by the motto I DO THINGS WHEN I WANT TO. They're a self-polishing breed, their arms forever folded, their help so rarely given.

Not this

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I think this whole argument can be summed up simply by stating IT'S THE NORTH STAND. If you don't want the bully in front of you to stand up then you have 3 lovely stands to chose from! There is one stand for us who like to stand/swear/drink to much/annoy stewards and that is where we have chosen to go! As for the steward thing, if we can get away with standing up then fantastic but if we are made to sit we can't complain about it, we all know about the back 4 row rule, we WERE told!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I take it you said that because you want to.
:)

Sorry mate, I just don't think your post is for me. For what it's worth, I go in the WSL and sit, but if I wanted to stand, I'd go in the north. If you are in the north and don't want to stand or spend most of your time looking over your shoulder in case someone is sitting somewhere behind you then I suggest you move to an area where everyone sits.
It's about noise, it's about atmosphere. I know people will say you can create an atmosphere by sitting and singing too but it just doesn't work. Name me one football ground in the country where the noisiest parts aren't the area that stands?
If you get the north to sit, the noise would be muted and so the atmos would be crap. I don't want a quiet ground. In his program notes Poyet called for us to make some noise at the Amex, there where times yesterday when it was only the small standing area in the north west that kept the noise levels ticking over. I want noise and atmosphere at the Amex and a choice. Stand in the north or sit down elsewhere. It's only about 1000-1500 out of 18k home support that stands, so it's only between 6-7% of the home support. It's from that small percentage that the noise starts from and carries on throughout the game. Take that away and we'll all have a nice quiet ground. So although persistant standing is not allowed officially, all grounds have a section that stands and makes noise, some more than others, I'd like our to stay one of the loudest in the country.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
Its also law that you cannot drink alcohol in your seat at a sporting venue, but they get away with it at rugby games

The Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol) Act 1985 only proscribes Association Football Matches (and only certain ones at that 0 tiers 105 and cup competitions after certain rounds) for prohibition of alcohol within sight of the pitch.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
I think this whole argument can be summed up simply by stating IT'S THE NORTH STAND. If you don't want the bully in front of you to stand up then you have 3 lovely stands to chose from! There is one stand for us who like to stand/swear/drink to much/annoy stewards and that is where we have chosen to go! As for the steward thing, if we can get away with standing up then fantastic but if we are made to sit we can't complain about it, we all know about the back 4 row rule, we WERE told!

Exactly this.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
I was having a chat with a NS steward of whom i know really well, and was told that from next season the club will not allow the NS to stand in the back 4 rows.

I said that will never happen, but apparently they have be told that ejections and bans will occur. Apparently the FA have been giving the club a hard time.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I was having a chat with a NS steward of whom i know really well, and was told that from next season the club will not allow the NS to stand in the back 4 rows.

I said that will never happen, but apparently they have be told that ejections and bans will occur. Apparently the FA have been giving the club a hard time.

Really? The FA haven't given the other 91 clubs a hard time?
If that's true then enjoy the atmos at the Amex this season, it could be a library next.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Sorry mate, I just don't think your post is for me. For what it's worth, I go in the WSL and sit, but if I wanted to stand, I'd go in the north. If you are in the north and don't want to stand or spend most of your time looking over your shoulder in case someone is sitting somewhere behind you then I suggest you move to an area where everyone sits.
It's about noise, it's about atmosphere. I know people will say you can create an atmosphere by sitting and singing too but it just doesn't work. Name me one football ground in the country where the noisiest parts aren't the area that stands?
If you get the north to sit, the noise would be muted and so the atmos would be crap. I don't want a quiet ground. In his program notes Poyet called for us to make some noise at the Amex, there where times yesterday when it was only the small standing area in the north west that kept the noise levels ticking over. I want noise and atmosphere at the Amex and a choice. Stand in the north or sit down elsewhere. It's only about 1000-1500 out of 18k home support that stands, so it's only between 6-7% of the home support. It's from that small percentage that the noise starts from and carries on throughout the game. Take that away and we'll all have a nice quiet ground. So although persistant standing is not allowed officially, all grounds have a section that stands and makes noise, some more than others, I'd like our to stay one of the loudest in the country.

Personally, i am up for the North Stand to be one purely of standing and with us all jumping around in key moments. And sometimes it is like that, when you simply can't perch because the brain's excitement and the heart's pounding beat insist on air being sucked into more expandable lungs. If we lessened the regulation and removed the seats in the main for more of us to squeeze in and hare about on the emptier evenings, then great. But it isn't like that.
Perhaps a number of people chose the North Stand because of the view of the game in front of them it gave. Perhaps some wanted to be near to the louder goons but not crushed by their identities and may want to now move to another stand as it's not for them after all. It would be sad if they were going, though, just because the loudest got their way in having more like themselves in their vicinity. I like a mixture of people being around me, all there with the hope to watch something spectacular. If it ends up being just being some rough-looking geezers wishing it the 80s again, then nothing would have changed, when ideally everything around us has.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Sitting ruins the atmosphere, simple!

Newcastle game I didn't sit down once, neither did anyone else around me in the northstand. The atmosphere was electric!

I think they should change the law, have seated areas and standing areas. Abit like the old smoking/ non smoking areas in restaurants not that long ago.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage

It won't happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here