Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North stand stewards AGAIN

Only for the current season, as it caused problems with others wanting to stand and the constant argument of " if they are standing why can;t we" next season i can see this tolerance being removed.

Programme Seller has pretty much suggested the same thing as I have, in another way. And I think he's nailed it.
These threads making a fuss and rebellion are actually just creating more problems too. Bring more attention to the thumbing-your-nose at sitting, and you are likely to get... more attention.

You're referring to the stewards who tell you to sit down when the person in front is standing?

I expect there are some who, as soon as the steward has moved further up to request sitting, will just stand back up again (and prompted by the 'if you hate palace' excuse). Thus the next rows will then point to those rows and say "I'm not sitting if they aren't". And so it goes on, and so the rule will soon be applied to all and people might get bans like happened at Withdean.
It's a farce.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Only for the current season, as it caused problems with others wanting to stand and the constant argument of " if they are standing why can;t we" next season i can see this tolerance being removed.

Then club should have said just for one season, if I known that I would have more than likely have gone in the front row !

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Or, just make everyone sit, because the message that a few rows would be tolerated - so that those who really needed to stand most chose those seats - appears to be misguiding the rest of the stand to imagine it should be alright to treat it all as terracing.
Many of you lot cannot abide with any simple allowances - the rules applying to ALL SEATER stadia are not down to the club and they could conceivably draw a harder line.

They could also conceivably draw a softer line and simply turn a blind eye. Like they do to the away fans, and like they do to the back four rows. Like other clubs do.

Along with the fact that, as most know and has been mentioned, the club may well need a reasonable report before getting permission to put in more seats and expand the capacity (and perhaps not need to RAISE PRICES much if they can get a bigger crowd, and afford essential players you would just love to see at Brighton, maybe Bobby Z again for instance, or maybe other flair of Vicente's level).

The stadium has been a massive success. Permission to get more seats is not going to hang on whether more rows than the Club originally said they would tolerate are standing up. The only way it will be an issue is if the Club make it one.

So to lay some guilt trip on the North Stand makes your argument look weak.

Of course, I cannot hold this terrible opinion because I was a steward at one time. Well bollocks, they are at least factors if not facts.
Have a growl and snarl all you like, but if you are going to moan about the simple request to comply and use the seats a little more then it's going to stay an issue.
It's not like if you start acceding to these requests you'll eventually be shackled to your seat and caged.

The idea suggested is not 'unreasonable' in concept, it's just not what the overseeing powers that be, and probably the powers that decide on expansions, are going to allow for.

Not many people (other than apparently you) give a flying f*** whether you were a steward. I just want a happy, lively stadium, where we create a good atmosphere to support the team. The stewarding had been excellent, and everything has been working. Why change it ? Particularly when those that want to sit behind a goal will be able to do so.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Pathetic,Stewards making a fuss over standing in the north but in the away end standing is the rule all game every game. All the stewards posting on here never explain why it is one rule for the Home end but a different rule for the Away end.
why is that NMH and all you other stewards?

They're scared of getting involved with 2,000 millwall or west ham, it's as simple as that

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
You're referring to the stewards who tell you to sit down when the person in front is standing?

Trying to make someone sit when the person in front is standing is ludicrous! Good (and accepted) practice amongst stewards is to steward from the front, so that you work upwards requesting each row to sit, as then no-one can say that they can't see because the row in front is still standing! Working from the back and going downwards has been proven not to work - and to increase confrontation - so many times. Are they really trying to do it that way?

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
Often it's a case of "be seen doing what you can" in order to satisfy the SAG & SGSA - without any real expectation that it'll work.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Often it's a case of "be seen doing what you can" in order to satisfy the SAG & SGSA - without any real expectation that it'll work.

That sounds the sensible approach. If they need to - look as though they are doing it. Meantime offer those in the North Stand that do complain about not being able to sit first dibs in the South Stand. And let the North Stand be - they can carry on creating the atmosphere the rest of us (especially the team) enjoy.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
IT IS NOT the law, you will never be prosecuted in a court of law for standing at a football match, it is merely a rule the club can enforce as it's part of the ticketing rules.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
IT IS NOT the law, you will never be prosecuted in a court of law for standing at a football match, it is merely a rule the club can enforce as it's part of the ticketing rules.

It's against Ground Regulations, yes, which you agree to abide by with the purchase of a ticket. So an individual will not be prosecuted as you say.

But they could be banned - for any period of time which the club decides is appropriate. Or the club could be forced to close the stanbd in question if the SAG/Licensing authority demands that - the latter is very rare, though.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
If the north sit down and shut up there would be no atmos at all!

yeah, because atmosphere constitutes to singing 'stand up if you hate palace' 50 times a match and constantly singing to themselves 'we're the left/right side brighton boys'.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
and then sit down afterwards, then stand up again when the ball enters the opponents half, but sit down again when it's cleared, but then, hang on... cms is through, stand up!...nope cleared by the defender, have to sit down again, but knocked straight back into opponents half with lua lua charging down the wing..... f*** that......i'll just keep standing.....:clap::amex:

Since when are there ever games like that? Normally 2-3 chances a half

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
The more I hear the 'stand up if you hate palace chant' the more it baffles me. I can't remember any other clubs make a chant about their derby team while we are playing them so I don't know why we keep doing it. The game wasn't live on TV and the highlights don't pick it up, so why waste our time singing about a club that has no relevance to the match being played in front of us?

The more I hear the 'stand up if you hate palace chant' the more it baffles me. I can't remember any other clubs make a chant about their derby team while we are playing them so I don't know why we keep doing it. The game wasn't live on TV and the highlights don't pick it up, so why waste our time singing about a club that has no relevance to the match being played in front of us?

The North sings it when the stewards try to get them to sit down I believe.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

The Football Spectators Act 1989, I though that is a law, if not then I stand corrected. The legislation around standing derives from the Football Spectators Act, under which the Secretary of State has the power to insist that certain grounds are all-seated. Initially, all Football League stadia were to be included; this was amended to include just the top two divisions.

So if the SoS is insisting, then surely it is enforcable?

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
After climbing 104 steps,then drinking beer by the pint and consuming two pies, I need a bit of a sit down. The game suits that need perfectly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here