Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nights out in Brighton on the Late 70s - Early 80s

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
..And table tennis in the back room of the Bath Arms? How naff does that seem on a night out? Seem to recall you were a bit of a rocker in those days K?
PG

i remember the table tennis table. brilliant

we took a mate out before his A levels( he was destined for Oxbridge, brilliant student) to the Hungry Years and some low life scum dropped something in his drink and it sent him over the edge....took him about 5 years to recover, in and out of hospital and eventually whatever it was cleared out of him but he still suffers from panic attacks and cant go out of his house.

very sad case

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Was that 'Lords' ???

I think Lords was just off the footpath under Grubbs Burgers and the pub called Nan Tuts (for a while) near Palmeira Square

The one under the kebab shop further towards Brighton had a name that began with 'S' I think

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I was a Sherrys man as I worked there glass collecting.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
A nostalgia thread.

Me and the 'boys' used to meet up most Fridays and also some Saturdays to discuss topics current and partake of ale and fine wine.

Now we had a set route as a form of tradition.

This is as follows:

The Volunteer
Shades
The Sussex
The Druids Head
The Deryck Carver
Hennekeys
Busbys or Pink Coconut.

Question were you a face around the pubs in those days - what tales do you have of these extablishments.

Blimey, almost identical route, although that's more of an early 90's one I think.
The 80's would have had the Sea House & Swifts as well.

The vault, The Windsor, The Basement and The Norfolk
great Punk hangouts :thumbsup:

Basement I say U2 on their first ( I believe) UK tour there, Boy Tour. then they sold out!!!

LOcal band, Midnight and the Lemon Boys supported ( I believe).

:ascarf:

Jamon Jamon

Mar 25, 2008
Bonsoir Club - a fave haunt of the albion yanno!

sounds like somewhere Del and Rodney would go!, was it in Montpelier Rd and became Monty's or Scotties?

when I was about 10 (late 70's) we used to climb on the extension roof of the Ship so we could see the stripper through the top window every sunday lunchtime (other lost pubs in Lewes Rd inc The Royal Hussair, The Alexander and The Allen Arms).

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
sounds like somewhere Del and Rodney would go!, was it in Montpelier Rd and became Monty's or Scotties?

when I was about 10 (late 70's) we used to climb on the extension roof of the Ship so we could see the stripper through the top window every sunday lunchtime (other lost pubs in Lewes Rd inc The Royal Hussair, The Alexander and The Allen Arms).

I think the frontage of The Allen Arms is still visible, as a shop, just south of the BP garage on the Vague Gyratory, Lewes Road south side :)

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Anybody go to Cinderellas at Stroods Motel up the A23?

Got a bit of a reputation of having heavy handed bouncers

Got closed down because of the trouble

:drink:

If there wasn't a fight, they'd start one! I think the worst bouncer (and they weren't doormen) was a big black bloke called Banjo

Tripple vodka for a quid down the basement.:drink:

so good you posted it twice, must admit, I use to take my own 1/4 whisky in and my straw and give it a good sup!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Differnt routes

1. Pub crawl Trafalgar Street - loads of pubs or
2. Station down to th wClockTower.

Finishing with the Rank.

As I got into Punk we got into the dives but including Quadrant, Queens Head, the two pubs as it was then onthe beach and what was that place near the then Bus Station that was a windy wet hole but did great gigs. Began with A and on a wet night the sea spray seem to come in through the dilapidated window frames.

Alahambara? Went there one, finished in trouble!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
a few others not mentioned yet:

The Pickwick (next to ABC in East Street)
The Posada (can't remember where it was - Ship Street?)
Bat and Ball and Northern Tavern - both near The Level
Queen Anne - West Street
Full Moon and The Stanford - road linking West St and Middle Street

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Near the bottom of West Street, on the corner with South Street - did anyone go to the club - I believe it was called the New Regent?

But I could well be wrong about the name. :drunk:

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Near the bottom of West Street, on the corner with South Street - did anyone go to the club - I believe it was called the New Regent?

But I could well be wrong about the name. :drunk:

Was it done out Western style, with wagon wheels on the walls and quite deep, front to back? And no, I don't mean the chocolate biscuit :laugh:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Was it done out Western style, with wagon wheels on the walls and quite deep, front to back? And no, I don't mean the chocolate biscuit :laugh:

Deep front to back, but I don't remember any wagon wheels! Long bar, dance floor and stage at the back. Space Invaders round the corner. This would have been 78/79. Happy days...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here