Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nights out in Brighton on the Late 70s - Early 80s

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
The Old Vic was a heaving mass of birds and booze on a Saturday night. Loud as all Phuq, with cigarette smoke down to your knees. We would go in a lunch time on Saturday, get locked and stay until 4pm. A mate of mine was so pissed one day that he was stripped and thrown outside into the melee of Lanes shoppers.....running around like a nutter. Happy Days

What was the name of the boozer with flags. It was like a big dining hall with a 30ft ceiling? Was that Heneckys? Down by the seafront somewhere? It has a small beer garden as well. Mind going after years of Tennents Extra abuse.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
I think Lords was just off the footpath under Grubbs Burgers and the pub called Nan Tuts (for a while) near Palmeira Square

The one under the kebab shop further towards Brighton had a name that began with 'S' I think

Sorry to quote my own post, but...

I think the club was called 'Sheminee' or something very similar :rolleyes:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think the frontage of The Allen Arms is still visible, as a shop, just south of the BP garage on the Vague Gyratory, Lewes Road south side :)

The Allen Arms is still a pub, it's now called The Hub (or something like that). It's the Alexandra that's now a shop.

I'm glad that someone else remembers the table tennis in the Bath Arms, that was always weird.

The pub we used to go to most was Noble's Bar (now Maria Fitzherbert's) in New Street. One of the few places that sold draught Harveys.

I remember the Alhambra as a great venue but wasn't too impressed with the HungryYears - too full of bikers. Saw some great gigs at The Buccaneer though.

Noble's Bar

I knew the family that owned it in the 70's, they also ensured that there was decent cider on as well, they used to get most of their alcohol from across the road at the offie my Dad managed.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
The Allen Arms is still a pub, it's now called The Hub (or something like that). It's the Alexandra that's now a shop.

I beg to differ, in that The Hub was formerly The Counting House, which was newly built when they redeveloped that area into the Vague Gyratory System. Where the pub now stands was The Vogue Cinema, hence the new name of the area. I think The Allen Arms was close there or thereabouts :thumbsup:

Perhaps you remember Cox's Pill factory, which was redeveloped into Sainsburys, and if you're really old, the rail bridge across the Lewes Road that took trains to what is now the Freshfield Industrial Estate?

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
im showing my age but when i was 16/17 the gloucester used to be called MR Ks, anyone remember it ? also toppers and rumours , anyone remember these two next to the old ABC ?

Also was called Bubbles and Dalrymples.

When it was Mr Ks is had a one price admission of about £7.00. Drinks free al evening.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
The Old Vic was a heaving mass of birds and booze on a Saturday night. Loud as all Phuq, with cigarette smoke down to your knees. We would go in a lunch time on Saturday, get locked and stay until 4pm. A mate of mine was so pissed one day that he was stripped and thrown outside into the melee of Lanes shoppers.....running around like a nutter. Happy Days

What was the name of the boozer with flags. It was like a big dining hall with a 30ft ceiling? Was that Heneckys? Down by the seafront somewhere? It has a small beer garden as well. Mind going after years of Tennents Extra abuse.

Yes, that was Heneckys. Massive pub, a bit like the King and Queen.

Reading this thread has brought back some memories.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Also was called Bubbles and Dalrymples.

When it was Mr Ks is had a one price admission of about £7.00. Drinks free al evening.

Carwash to Barmaid; Can I have two double scotch and dry?

Barmaid; No; we only serve singles as part of the drinks free policy.

Carwash; Can I have 4 scotch and dry then?

Barmaid; Ok...

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
DIFFBROOK thanks for that reply. This whole thread brought back memories for me too. I remember shaggiing my best friends sister on Xmas Eve straight after Busbys. It was really strange as she (as his sister) looked liked him, only smaller and without a dick. I remember having to close my eyes throughout the 30 seconds of passion!!!!

Does anyone remember the Top Rank and how the Chavs (me at the time) were let in downstairs but they had bouncers stopping you going upstairs to the bar? Very weird that. We'd send an older mate upstairs to get the beers and he'd have to bring them downstairs one by one under a jacket.

Happy Days. I remember a mate of mine on my shoulders after the FA Cup Final walking down West St. We were still trying to sing but our voices were long gone after 12 hours of continuous shouting. I still have the flag from that day.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I beg to differ, in that The Hub was formerly The Counting House, which was newly built when they redeveloped that area into the Vague Gyratory System. Where the pub now stands was The Vogue Cinema, hence the new name of the area. I think The Allen Arms was close there or thereabouts :thumbsup:

Perhaps you remember Cox's Pill factory, which was redeveloped into Sainsburys, and if you're really old, the rail bridge across the Lewes Road that took trains to what is now the Freshfield Industrial Estate?

I'm with you on this in thinking that The Hub/Counting House, was new.

My own drinking route was much as others here, Pav tav then towards West street via Derreck carvers, Druids, sussex, hennekeys, Bo'sun, the one down the road that I can't recall the name then back to Sherry's.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
I'm with you on this in thinking that The Hub/Counting House, was new.

My own drinking route was much as others here, Pav tav then towards West street via Derreck carvers, Druids, sussex, hennekeys, Bo'sun, the one down the road that I can't recall the name then back to Sherry's.

FG

Were you a "Brill Cream" boy?

If so you might have met my dad

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
No but who know's, I may have met him anyway.

Funny thing about football is that you can see the same old faces over many years, have a drink & a chat but still not know their names.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
No but who know's, I may have met him anyway.

Funny thing about football is that you can see the same old faces over many years, have a drink & a chat but still not know their names.

FG

He told me he starting off as a Ted and then turned to being a Rocker.

Even then he was nobody's fool (unlike me).

He went down to the seafront on a BH , but hid his black shodow up a side street. As he knew the mods would kick it to fu@k!

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
While I'm on about The Vogue Cinema, a little anecdote springs to mind. Me and a pal used to knock about with a couple of shop girls from the town. One Saturday night we picked them up in my boy-racer-mobile and ended up at The Vogue for a late night showing of American Grafitti, the classic US 50's hot rod homage by George Lucas. Me and my mate were digging the film and the girls were popping pills and off their tits. At the end of the film, we all ended up back at my mates parent's house. In their parlour, they had this massive sofa that unfolded into a king size bed. We pulled a couple of duvets over us all and crashed out. One of the girls started to get a bit fruity with me and to cut a long story short, we got at it. Being a bit pushed for space, we sort of ended up near a wall while still on the bed. Come the gravy strokes a minor calmity befell us, in that one of my knees was in the vicinity of a central heating radiator and began beating out a merry tune that resounded all around the house! Couldn't really stop, so nature ran it's course and a hasty exit was made come the morning and I never went round there for a couple of years out of embarrassment :p

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
FG

He told me he starting off as a Ted and then turned to being a Rocker.

Even then he was nobody's fool (unlike me).

He went down to the seafront on a BH , but hid his black shodow up a side street. As he knew the mods would kick it to fu@k!

believe it or not, I was too young to be a ted or even join in the mods/rockers although one of my bro's, a poster on here, was a rocker and still has a beast of a bike.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
believe it or not, I was too young to be a ted or even join in the mods/rockers although one of my bro's, a poster on here, was a rocker and still has a beast of a bike.

FG

They go about football violence nowadays!

The Old Man goes on about how the Mods or the Rockers didnt fu@k about with all the "show" nowadays before having a ruck.

My Old man knew he was always into getting a hiding as the mods always had the numbers. But he always still showed.

A bit like The Bosun. ???

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here