Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay's post-match red card

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Maupay is frustrating because he misses so many chances, but it is difficult to criticise him for his work rate, tracking back and passion. He got nothing out of Moss today and I can understand a player with his passion expressing his displeasure - unprofessional yes, understandable yes. On balance, I like the passion and find it difficult to blame him for venting today.

Referees should be accountable for their c#ck ups and Moss was a disaster (for us) today.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I disagree that he was fouled (and thinking you're fouled does not justify you reacting - in the eyes of the laws of the game anyway; players frequently get booked/sent off for reacting).

But even if he was fouled, the red card Dunk got was for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity. The things referees take into account when deciding whether to send someone off for denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity is how far from goal are they (do other players have a chance to catch up and cover), are there other defenders around who can cover? Did the player have control of the ball? Was the challenging player making a genuine attempt for the ball.

The answers to those questions are different - maupay was further out, there was a covering defender (who was more likely to get the ball). Dunk doesn't make that challenge wolves are one on one with the Sanchez. Maupay beats that one player he has to chase down the ball, hoping to beat the other defender to it, and then get around the defender before he even gets through, and that defender could simply delay Maupay allowing further defenders back to crowd him out and force him back/win back possession for wolves.

They were nothing alike.

But it's ok for Burn to be wrestled to the ground at a corner in the first half?

Where was VAR then?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
He went up to the useless fat **** and called him a useless fat ****. I suspect it was triggered by the useless fat **** waving play on every time he was fouled in and around their penalty area.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Burn and Billy Reid had both spoken to Maupay extensively and tried to stop him remonstating with Moss but he kept on and wouldn't let it drop.

Yes he was hard done by and didn't get some decisions that went his way but nothing was to be achieved by his rant. It won't have done him any favours with Potter I would imagine.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But it's ok for Burn to be wrestled to the ground at a corner in the first half?

Where was VAR then?

I have no idea why you've responded to my post with that. I wasn't defending the ref or VAR.

But I'll answer your questions:

I don't believe it is ok to wrestle Dan Burn to the ground. For me, the wolves defender was making no attempt to play the ball and was active engaged with trying to bring down Burn to stop him, and I personally would have given a penalty (again, with the Maupay challenge, the defender was simply well positioned and Maupay ran into him, completely different to the defender wrestling Burn to the ground for me). However, I recognise that some people in the game (fans/pundits/players etc) like a bit of physicality in their defending and would view the challenge on Burn as acceptable because the defender wasn't out of control and risking injury to Burn (you can see in the "rugby tackle" thread that there are a number of posters who didn't feel it was a penalty, as well as Jermaine Jenas).

VAR was where it always is. The thing it seems like a lot of people seem to misunderstand, and by the fact you're asking the question you are included in that, is if the ref doesn't stop the game and "VAR check" pop up on the screen people assume VAR hasn't gotten involved. It has, it checks all potential penalty incidents, and it found there wasn't enough reason to consider the ref has made a clear and obvious error. Because it reached this decision before the next break in play there was no need to get the ref to wait before restarting, and since we weren't waiting there was no need to flash the announcement on the screen. Given some of our own fans think it's not a foul, I find it hard to really lay into the video ref for his decision. Especially given how much criticism they have received for getting too involved.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I have no idea why you've responded to my post with that. I wasn't defending the ref or VAR.

But I'll answer your questions:

I don't believe it is ok to wrestle Dan Burn to the ground. For me, the wolves defender was making no attempt to play the ball and was active engaged with trying to bring down Burn to stop him, and I personally would have given a penalty (again, with the Maupay challenge, the defender was simply well positioned and Maupay ran into him, completely different to the defender wrestling Burn to the ground for me). However, I recognise that some people in the game (fans/pundits/players etc) like a bit of physicality in their defending and would view the challenge on Burn as acceptable because the defender wasn't out of control and risking injury to Burn (you can see in the "rugby tackle" thread that there are a number of posters who didn't feel it was a penalty, as well as Jermaine Jenas).

VAR was where it always is. The thing it seems like a lot of people seem to misunderstand, and by the fact you're asking the question you are included in that, is if the ref doesn't stop the game and "VAR check" pop up on the screen people assume VAR hasn't gotten involved. It has, it checks all potential penalty incidents, and it found there wasn't enough reason to consider the ref has made a clear and obvious error. Because it reached this decision before the next break in play there was no need to get the ref to wait before restarting, and since we weren't waiting there was no need to flash the announcement on the screen. Given some of our own fans think it's not a foul, I find it hard to really lay into the video ref for his decision. Especially given how much criticism they have received for getting too involved.

I thought that Maupay falling forwards suggested that he was pushed rather than shoulder to shoulder.
As to VAR, if a goal is disallowed because a tiny part of player's body is in front of the last defender, I was querying why the same scrutiny wasn't applied.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
To be fair Maupay got levelled several times and the ref gave him nothing, can understand his frustration

He also has a propensity to hurl himself down at every given opportunity, so I guess refs have become wise to him.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Burn and Billy Reid had both spoken to Maupay extensively and tried to stop him remonstating with Moss but he kept on and wouldn't let it drop.

Yes he was hard done by and didn't get some decisions that went his way but nothing was to be achieved by his rant. It won't have done him any favours with Potter I would imagine.

F*cking idiot. Maupay that is

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Forget why Maupay got sent off for a moment , Moss is supposed to be a elite ref plying his trade in supposedly the best league in the world .

Now understanding that information take a peak at his heat season long 24 game heat map , 46% of it is spent in the center circle , that gives you a indication of how Shyte this bloke is , I mean come on if he's one of the best how poor must the worst be ! .

I'm not blaming Moss for this defeat , we managed that perfectly well on our own , but as a referee surely a minimum requirement must be they can actually keep up with play !

He missed 4 clear and obvious fouls add to that a clear penalty on Burn which if given would not have been overturned.

Moss should do the decent thing and stop eating pies for brekky and retire .

He got two things right today , sending Dunk off and wearing a custom made XXXXXXL shirt , very fetching .

The EPL need to weed out these poor refs and raise their standards , what's the point of having the best players in thr world on view when the referees are so poor it's embarrassing.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Can’t excuse him getting a red, but surely the best league In the world deserves the best refs too, not someone not fit enough to ref Sunday league.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I think it was about several fouls he didn’t get given during the second half. The problem with Moss is he’s way to unfit to referee at any level so is never up with play.

I would agree, the referee was truly awful and the young Frenchman got nothing all game, and didn't he cover some yards.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
It's a weak argument that it was like Dunk's - Maupay didn't have possession of the ball, or likely to get it, it was further out, there was a second defender covering, and it was more Maupay running into the well placed defender rather than the defender grabbing the shirt and pulling him back. To be honest, I think the free kick was because it also looked like Maupay gave the defender a tap on the head in frustration.

Yeah But apart from that, it was exactly the same.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
That **** Moss gave him nothing all afternoon. That last one when Coady clearly fouled him, which would have given us a free kick in a great position, but Moss of course gave it to Wolves must have been the last straw. And then Coady just sits there laughing.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here