[Albion] Neal Maupay's post-match red card

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Forget why Maupay got sent off for a moment , Moss is supposed to be a elite ref plying his trade in supposedly the best league in the world .

Now understanding that information take a peak at his heat season long 24 game heat map , 46% of it is spent in the center circle , that gives you a indication of how Shyte this bloke is , I mean come on if he's one of the best how poor must the worst be ! .

I'm not blaming Moss for this defeat , we managed that perfectly well on our own , but as a referee surely a minimum requirement must be they can actually keep up with play !

He missed 4 clear and obvious fouls add to that a clear penalty on Burn which if given would not have been overturned.

Moss should do the decent thing and stop eating pies for brekky and retire .

He got two things right today , sending Dunk off and wearing a custom made XXXXXXL shirt , very fetching .

The EPL need to weed out these poor refs and raise their standards , what's the point of having the best players in thr world on view when the referees are so poor it's embarrassing.

It must be like being reffed by Tommy Walters in the Worthing league back in the day, never left the centre circle in 90 minutes of play.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
It was startling how unfit Moss is. Young Redoubtable Seagull and I commented on this during the game. He look like he was running in treacle at one point. Woeful.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought that Maupay falling forwards suggested that he was pushed rather than shoulder to shoulder.
As to VAR, if a goal is disallowed because a tiny part of player's body is in front of the last defender, I was querying why the same scrutiny wasn't applied.

That's because onside or offside is a factual decision and the authorities believe the technology is accurate and reliable enough to know down to such tiny margins (I know us fans don't agree but that is a different argument).

When it comes to whether a challenge is a foul, it is defined as 'in the opinion of the referee'. The authorities don't want to be second guessing or re-refereeing games, so only interfere where there is a clear and obvious error (admittedly, they seem to change what is clear and obvious every few weeks, but following complaints about too many penalties earlier this season, they seem to be limiting their interference in recent weeks).

So essentially it's a factual decision that "the technology lets us know beyond doubt a player is offside so we will use that" v a subjective decision and "he's the referee, it's his call and I can/can't see why he made that decision" (and bear in mind how often dermot gallagher 'can see why he gave it').

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
That's because onside or offside is a factual decision and the authorities believe the technology is accurate and reliable enough to know down to such tiny margins (I know us fans don't agree but that is a different argument).

When it comes to whether a challenge is a foul, it is defined as 'in the opinion of the referee'. The authorities don't want to be second guessing or re-refereeing games, so only interfere where there is a clear and obvious error (admittedly, they seem to change what is clear and obvious every few weeks, but following complaints about too many penalties earlier this season, they seem to be limiting their interference in recent weeks).

So essentially it's a factual decision that "the technology lets us know beyond doubt a player is offside so we will use that" v a subjective decision and "he's the referee, it's his call and I can/can't see why he made that decision" (and bear in mind how often dermot gallagher 'can see why he gave it').

Except offside isn’t a factual decision. Someone has to take a view on the precise millisecond the ball leaves the foot, head or whatever of the passer. It is a complete fiction that this is factual.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
BBC pitchside mics picked up Maupay's words with Moss. And I quote:

'I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries'

I think Moss also bought up the subject of the French defeat at Agincourt. No wonder Maupay reacted in the way he did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Except offside isn’t a factual decision. Someone has to take a view on the precise millisecond the ball leaves the foot, head or whatever of the passer. It is a complete fiction that this is factual.

See that bit I've bolded? That.

Onside or offside is factual. You are either ahead of the "last man" when the ball is played or not. It isn't a matter of opinion, it is an objective truth.

Our ability to accurately measure offside with the current VAR technology is where the problem lies (it's either a problem that the authorities believe the technology is accurate enough instead of listening to us fans and allowing some wriggle room based on the inaccuracy, or it's a problem with us fans not accepting that the best available technology is good enough/better than allowing goals to stand that "shouldn't", depending on your philosophy). But that is a different argument to why there are different levels of scrutiny between the factual 'on/offside decisions' v opinion-based 'was that challenge really a foul?' decisions.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
I wasn't paying enough attention. Who took over the captain's armband when Dunk was sent off?

That new captain should have been aware of Maupay's attitude, position and movements at the end of the match and stopped him approaching the referee.

Basically, it's Dunk's fault for getting himself ejected from the field of play.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
I wasn't paying enough attention. Who took over the captain's armband when Dunk was sent off?

That new captain should have been aware of Maupay's attitude, position and movements at the end of the match and stopped him approaching the referee.

Basically, it's Dunk's fault for getting himself ejected from the field of play.

Webster

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
He's French and he's small, so what do you expect? Not done himself any favours given he's not been scoring, but I've got a lot of time for Maupay. Sure he isn't a top Premier league striker, but at least he gives it a go and his workrate benefits the team.

If we want significant improvement, then it's going to cost us massively, and I'm not sure that Uncle Tony has those deep pockets given his business has been destroyed by covid.

Imperative that we keep Welbeck, but we really need to get lucky in the transfer market to sign another striker, because quite clearly Connoly and Zeqiri are not up to it (not necessarily their fault)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That **** Moss gave him nothing all afternoon. That last one when Coady clearly fouled him, which would have given us a free kick in a great position, but Moss of course gave it to Wolves must have been the last straw. And then Coady just sits there laughing.

He said 'I'm happy'. According to the BBC lipreaders. And why wouldn't he be?

Some shocking attitudes to one of our players on NSC today. I see it as a cry for help from people suffering from self-loathing.

#TeamNeal(doesn'tscorenoughbutfootballisn'taboutjustthat)

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Can’t excuse him getting a red, but surely the best league In the world deserves the best refs too, not someone not fit enough to ref Sunday league.

I made my views about refs clear yesterday. They are the single worst thing in the game currently (for deliberately trashing VAR, and for being, generally, wrong 'uns, for starters. I could go on).

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
I think there was one in particular in injury time where the wolves player blocked him off and the ref gave wolves the free kick.

which resulted in them going up the other end and getting the winner.......not defending Maupay......get rid of him in my opinion

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Maupay is frustrating because he misses so many chances, but it is difficult to criticise him for his work rate, tracking back and passion. He got nothing out of Moss today and I can understand a player with his passion expressing his displeasure - unprofessional yes, understandable yes. On balance, I like the passion and find it difficult to blame him for venting today.

Referees should be accountable for their c#ck ups and Moss was a disaster (for us) today.

I don’t rate Maupay particularly, but.......

This sums it up perfectly. He absolutely worked his bits off for the good of the team, and was given next to no protection from one of the PLs worst referees.

I don’t blame him either....

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018

Herein, I think, lies a problem.

Dunk is a dominant and commanding presence; marshalling the troops and dictating the play. Without him we had to rely on a less dominant personality. Even with 10 men against the less-than mighty might of Wolves we should have retained at least a point from the match. Alas, it did not happen. We fell to pieces, conceding scrappy goals - the second at least - and not dealing well with the repetitive short corners that even the BBC, yes, EVEN THE BBC, noticed.

Discipline is needed. We need organisation and without Dunk who takes over to give that?

Lets hope next season, in the PL, we maintain it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports