Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee got it very WRONG tonight...

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
London Irish, I think 4-5-1 was spot on, result 2-0 loss ???

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Why the f*** was Harding at Left back and Mayo in the midfield? Surely it would have made more sense to play them the other way round? Mayo looked absolutely shocking in midfield.

I have to say though, from C block the ball for Danny's OG definately crossed the line, but the penalty looked very dubious, and definately not a second booking.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
D'Angelo Saxon said:
but the penalty looked very dubious, and definately not a second booking.

When I saw the ref going for his cards, I genuinly thought he ws about to book their bloke for diving.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Trigger, rubbish. If it had been 4-4-2, our midfield would have been even more massacred. Stop looking for simplistic solutions. Plymouth were very accomplished tonight and we lacked cohesion because of suspensions, injuries and players promoted too quickly to the first team. That means a 2-0 loss. Not a big disaster, McGhee will have learned some useful lessons tonight and we will come back once we have the real defensive spine of the team is back, which means Roberts, Chippy and Oatway.

Totally disagree, how on earth can you justify playing one up front at home! Playing Hardin & Mayo both on the left (give me strength). Hardin has now made three bad mistakes Swindon in the play-offs, away to Reading and last night (although I'd be interested to see the two goals again). I know we need Chippy & knight back quickly but you don't play one up front at home. No excuses.

A very sorry evening.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
From the looks of it, Kuipers could've easily claimed the ball that Danny went for and scored (the OG). Mind you, I wouldn't f*** with Danny either...

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
I agree with pasty. i think the problem lies in our pre-season. Why the f*** do we always play shite teams in preseason. We need to be playing quality sides from championship and premiership to make sure we are at the races for the opening couple of games, otherwise the players get used to playing against players 2 yards slower then needed.

sullyshuffle

Aug 16, 2003
Horsham
with last seasons pairing of Jones and Harty, their role was to help defensively backing up the fullbacks.

With Currie and Jarrett, this was obviously missing from Reading and again last night. The tatics were not defensive, but stuck in the middle.

Does he revert to a more defensive pairing of jones and harty and 2 up front, or leave it as iit is with the one striker.

My opinion is to return to the tried and tested formula of last seaon until we have some points on the board

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Interesting points on here,but from my personal point of view

Currie,what exactly is his job?

Ive watched both our games so far and in both games he has failed to take the full backs on,he lacks pace and all he can do well is hit a crossfield ball,

Reid?

Again,in both games he has just disappeared as the game has gone on,he lacks pace and creativity

Mayo?

Just plain pants,run around like a headless chicken and gave the ball away far to easily

Jake,

I wouldnt start him in any game as yet as he is far to small for this Division at the moment and he would get battered from pillar to post which would do him and us no favours in the long term

As for the tactics,we need to win our home games and just shut up shop at away games,

As for MM,someone on here mentioned his tactical decisions when he was at Millwall,well I hope its not going to start reappearing down here

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
London Irish said:
Big Trev changed our season last year. Our top loan player ever according to the match prog tonight. I wouldn't disagree.

As always LI, I disagree with you ;)

Our best ever loan signing was Paul Dickov from Arsenal not big Trev

It was a collective failure last night, starting with mcGhee's tactics, you don't play with just one forward at home against a tream you are hoping to beat. Whatever the venerable LI (one of my fav posters on nsc) says, it did result in the concession of posession. I did not see anything in the plymouth side to be frightened of last night and we let them have the freedom of the pitch.

The players compounded the initial error of the tactics with an inept display. We were not played off the park by a bunch of world beating promotion chasing giants, just a vaguely competent side who despite our crapness still struggled to create a decent chance outside of a few long range shots.

The only blameless player being molango who was just hung out to dry up front on his own. The midfield was absolutely dire, whatever the personnel we have the same problem every season and it has to get sorted. Just some simple discipline and shape would not go amiss.

The silver lining from all this? It would be a real acheivement to play any worse than we did, so maybe the recovery can start on saturday.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Caveman said:
And I think, us as fans also need a kick up the arse. The atmosphere is still poor.

Too f***ing right. Withdean was deathly silent for much of yesterdays game. How is the team supposed to get motivated by that?? :(

New York Geezer

Feb 4, 2004
Bermondsey
Injuries and the one suspension cruelly expose the weakness of the squad. If we are ever able to play our 'first choice eleven' (whatever McGhee reckons it to be) we might be able to hold our own.

Otherwise we will struggle, simply because at the moment the majority of the starting line up can't cut it at this level - we know that because they weren't good enough two seasons ago - it was only the injection of new blood, now departed (Sidwell etc) or unavailable for selection (Rodger, Blackwell), that revised that season.

The likes of Mayo, Hart, Butters, Oatway, etc are not Championship quality, and the younger players e.g Virgo, Harding etc are still developing. And as for the new lads its too soon to say.

This I think is the reality, and as supporters we have to accept that - hoping for the day when funds can be injected into the playing squad.

But with the right team spirit and support we might just stay up. I do think the return of Leon will be a major boost.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Half Time Pies said:
To be honest the rubbish you have talked on this thread is symptomatic of many Oatway loving long ball merchants and MM himself. You people must be blind.

The min i saw the team sheet i knew we would lose this game playing a 5 man midfield at HOME against a team that only went up this year, and with our home record, seems unbelievable. Does knowone remeber that we beat Plymouth 3-1 last year with a 3 man forward line?!

The fact is we do have players who can pass the ball and create but Maghee insists on playing negative football. Can anyone of you long ball merchants look beyond the playoff final to remeber how many terrible games we were forced to watch with Mghee unable to change the formation from two defensive central midfield players - Swindon particularly springs to mind!

When i saw Oatway was out injured i thought great, MM might get someone in to the centre who can pass the ball and isnt in footballing terms inept, but no, who does he replace hm with F*****G Mayo!

What you are saying London Irish is we cant compete at home with anyone in the championship (including Plymouth) and should therefore shut up shop and hope for a point -

Well what i say to you is thats Utter BOLLOCKS!

So when we played 4-5-1 under Micky Adams and won the league did you go every week thinking we would lose?

You can not be serious!

Yes we do have players who can pass the ball and create. McGhee PLAYED them. Currie, Reid...?! Nicolas can pass it simple. Jarrett is an attacking player.

Or would Hart and Jones be better? Judging by the criticism they often got last season, I don't think so!

LI is not saying we should shut up and hope for a point. Where does he say that? McGhee went into the game with an attacking frame of mind.

If you wan't to argue someone's points at least put forward your own! Nowhere in that post does it say how the tactics/choice of players could have been any different.

"4-5-1 does not have to be negative. We WON Division 3 playing it. "

Different league! Bobby demanded 4 defenders and we were great at set plays where we scored loads of goals.

The fact is 4-5-1 didn't work last night. And we didn't protect our goal.
:angry:

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Turkey said:
So when we played 4-5-1 under Micky Adams and won the league did you go every week thinking we would lose?

That system under Adams worked because fast wide players were used, when we went forward, Hart and Brooker linked up with Zamora quickly, making the system 4-3-3.

However the only way Currie is going to be forward is if he is coming back from 2 attacks ago, so the system is immediately flawed due to players used within it.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Charlies Shinpad said:
Interesting points on here,but from my personal point of view

Currie,what exactly is his job?

Ive watched both our games so far and in both games he has failed to take the full backs on,he lacks pace and all he can do well is hit a crossfield ball,

Reid?

Again,in both games he has just disappeared as the game has gone on,he lacks pace and creativity

Mayo?

Just plain pants,run around like a headless chicken and gave the ball away far to easily

Jake,

I wouldnt start him in any game as yet as he is far to small for this Division at the moment and he would get battered from pillar to post which would do him and us no favours in the long term

As for the tactics,we need to win our home games and just shut up shop at away games,

As for MM,someone on here mentioned his tactical decisions when he was at Millwall,well I hope its not going to start reappearing down here

Currie - His job is to get on the ball and be a creative midfielder. He wasn't because 1) He was forced to defend 2) It turned into a dog fight with no time on the ball at all.

Reid - Poor. He'd look better with an effective leader in midfield. Although I doub't he'll get that opportunity because Nicolas could have his position.

Mayo - Same job as Reid. At least he got stuck in so that he did make mistakes. He got onvolved which is more than some!

Jake - Agreed. He's not ready.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
D'Angelo Saxon said:
Too f***ing right. Withdean was deathly silent for much of yesterdays game. How is the team supposed to get motivated by that?? :(

It would help if the stewards weren't being such ****s. The nazi steward wearing 44 had a right cob on getting everyone to sit down and telling people off. A silent crowd ain't gonna help the team now is it.
Saturday the whole singing section needs to a) stand b) sing and c) fcuk the stewards.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
i am steaming. I think mcghee formation wrong last night, esp when playing at home.

haven't read anyone esles thread on here but i was ashamed to be an albion fan last night . granted i was sitting in the family block however there was no sodding noise the whole game. if there was in singing block it was so faint i couldn't hear it. the only time anyone made any noise was to moan. stop whingeing and get behind your bloody team!!!!! i ended up singing on my own much to everyones disgust.

the best thing which always manages to piss me right off is people leaving ten minutes before the end. why bother coming!!!!!!! same as the idiots that left at the wycombe stay behind and swindon game.

i was so angry and upset last night coming home. how do you think it effects the team seeing your fans walk off. no atmosphere to gear them up. it was the first home game of the season and i was not expecting that silence last night.

i am guilty as the next person in saying they played shit however i will never and have never left a game early. :nono:

that is all

*waitsforbarrageofabuse*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here