McGhee got it very WRONG tonight...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What worried me last night was that even with 5 in midfield we were overran by a Plymouth side that wanted to win.

The lad up front is never going to be a Zamora(who could hold the ball up and head it), therefore we have a problem if we are going to play 1 up front.

I couldn't really understand our tactics in the first half before Harding clattered into that chap on the half way line so getting his first booking and then subsequently getting sent off.

Once he had gone, we were always up against it from then on. BUT two nil down at home and he takes off jarrett and molo when we are chasing goals.....:eek:

I know it is early days but to be honest at Reading when their third went in, I was convinced we were on to a thumping......if Kuipers hadn't been on form, last night could have been just as bad.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
That system under Adams worked because fast wide players were used, when we went forward, Hart and Brooker linked up with Zamora quickly, making the system 4-3-3.

However the only way Currie is going to be forward is if he is coming back from 2 attacks ago, so the system is immediately flawed due to players used within it.

Jarrett is fast.

You do have a point about Currie but I think it could have worked if the midfield 3 of Reid, Nicolas, Mayo did their job properly.

Currie was onto a loser from the start because he wasn't given the opportunity to fulfil has role in the 4-5-1.

Reid, Nicolas, Mayo didn't proivide any decent cover for the defence so Currie was forced to play deepers than he should have.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
London Calling said:
"4-5-1 does not have to be negative. We WON Division 3 playing it. "

Different league! Bobby demanded 4 defenders and we were great at set plays where we scored loads of goals.

The fact is 4-5-1 didn't work last night. And we didn't protect our goal.
:angry:

Different league? So what? Reading got to the play-offs playing 4-5-1 in this league.

It didn't work last not but you can't simply blame that on the formation. You have to look at why it didn't work. I've allready given my opinion on that.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The only real suprise for me after the team was announced was that Mayo played in midfield. I think the problem that McGhee was trying to address was that against Reading we were getting exposed by late runners from midfield, and we coped better with that yesterday than we did on Saturday. I felt the formation was actually working very well immediately prior to that ludicrous penalty decision, as the comical first goal had stung the team to step up a gear and they were playing some good passing and attacking football. Losing Harding completely unbalanced the side, and it is the unbalanced side that we remember.

Don't be too quick to moan about 4-5-1, we one back-to-back Championships with it!!!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Turkey said:
Jarrett is fast.

You do have a point about Currie but I think it could have worked if the midfield 3 of Reid, Nicolas, Mayo did their job properly.

Currie was onto a loser from the start because he wasn't given the opportunity to fulfil has role in the 4-5-1.

Reid, Nicolas, Mayo didn't proivide any decent cover for the defence so Currie was forced to play deepers than he should have.

Yes, but his lack of pace is not going to work in the formation, he needs to be up with Molango as soon as we break with the ball, but he cannot do it. He was employed in a system that he will not flourish in.

The other worry at the moment is Butters is starting to revert back to habits from 2 years ago, hope that is a blip...

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
The reason harding got his first booking was because Kerry sold him short on a simple pass!!
Same old Mayo!!

As for atmosphere,I was down in J Block and it was good,better than the family stand where I have been for the last 2 years:nono:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
Yes, but his lack of pace is not going to work in the formation, he needs to be up with Molango as soon as we break with the ball, but he cannot do it. He was employed in a system that he will not flourish in.

The other worry at the moment is Butters is starting to revert back to habits from 2 years ago, hope that is a blip...

I don't disagree with you at all but I don't think we can failry judge Currie in that position. We're just speculating. He hasn't had the opportunity to play well in that position because he's been let down by the people behind him.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Curious Orange said:
The only real suprise for me after the team was announced was that Mayo played in midfield. I think the problem that McGhee was trying to address was that against Reading we were getting exposed by late runners from midfield, and we coped better with that yesterday than we did on Saturday. I felt the formation was actually working very well immediately prior to that ludicrous penalty decision, as the comical first goal had stung the team to step up a gear and they were playing some good passing and attacking football. Losing Harding completely unbalanced the side, and it is the unbalanced side that we remember.

Don't be too quick to moan about 4-5-1, we one back-to-back Championships with it!!!

Mayo was played because he can play as a defencive midfielder and he's left footed. You can argue he should have swaped with Harding but Harding has played at left back for awhile now.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Turkey said:
I don't disagree with you at all but I don't think we can failry judge Currie in that position. We're just speculating. He hasn't had the opportunity to play well in that position because he's been let down by the people behind him.

I thought Currie looked better last night, he seems to be quite strong on the ball once he actually gets it, and played some astute balls. I think there is a lot more to come from him, but that'll only happen once the team get used to him not being where Gary Hart usually is.

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
goldstone said:

So what to do on Saturday?
1. El Abd for Virgo who's started off very poorly.
2. Harding can't start again (he's been found out twice) so it's Kerry or Jones.
3. Harty up front with Molango.
4. Currie has done next to nothing so Harty needs to play wide right as well!! Whichever position, Harty MUST start. Alternative for wide right is ?? Reid .. no. Hinshelwood ... maybe.

1: More likley to be Hinsh if a change is made

2: He's got a one-match ban for the two yellows so he can;t start anyway (new rules this season)

3: More likely to be Jake based on McGhee's post-match comments

4: Currie was praised for his contributions so not likely to be a change there.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
why didn't he play hart? i don't understand why currie gets picked before him he did bugger all last night

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Barnet Seagull said:
Interesting that we were overrun by Plymouth and held our own against arguably the best two central midfielders in the division only days before.

???

Charlie Oatway..

We were poor when he went off.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
caz99 said:
why didn't he play hart? i don't understand why currie gets picked before him he did bugger all last night

Hart is predominatly a defencive midfielder these days. Currie is far more attacking. The right wing slot was an attacking role.

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
well he wasn't attacking last night he should have taken him off and put hart on and why take jarrett off

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
caz99 said:
well he wasn't attacking last night he should have taken him off and put hart on and why take jarrett off

i think harty would have made a better contribution to the game than currie

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
The only logical explanation for taking Jarrett off is either an injury or fatigue. He hasn't had that muich of a pre-season.

Better to have him 100% fit on Saturday I'd have thought.

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
caz99 said:

No he wasn't because Reid, Nicolas, Mayo couldn't defend!!

Jarrett looked a threat but was in the same situation as Currie. Jarrett didn't have the expirience to make the right decisions as to when he should attack/defend.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
caz99 said:
i think harty would have made a better contribution to the game than currie

Maybe but everyone seems to have forgotten how poor Harty was last season - by most NSC posters opinions.

McGhee choose his system and went with it. It didn't work but their were other players who were poorer than Currie.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
positives from the game...

ummm

jarrett was class. and that was a bout it.

for the first time i have actually found myself shaking my head like the 'old-folks' and not doing it just to look like im depressed in an attempt to get on tv! it was awful.

whenever plymouth got the ball the pitch seemed to double in size! when we got it(if ever) the pitch shrunk and there was no space. the players ball watched and kept chasing the ball.

plymouth played the right tactics in lobbing it forward because that is how you avoid a 5 man midifeld, by missing them completely. we HAVE to play 2 up front next time...or atleast put HART IN

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports