Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

McGhee got it very WRONG tonight...

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
By playing 4-5-1 he allowed Plymouth total control of the game and allowed them to take advantage and attack us allowing us to create nothing then he took off the only 2 players that were ever likely to create anything (Jarrett & Molango)... I hope he's man enough to come out and admit his mistake.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Lets hope he doesn't make the same mistake against coventry then. with trips away to leicester and wigan this month we need to pick up points ASAP.

Trigger, rubbish. If it had been 4-4-2, our midfield would have been even more massacred. Stop looking for simplistic solutions. Plymouth were very accomplished tonight and we lacked cohesion because of suspensions, injuries and players promoted too quickly to the first team. That means a 2-0 loss. Not a big disaster, McGhee will have learned some useful lessons tonight and we will come back once we have the real defensive spine of the team is back, which means Roberts, Chippy and Oatway.

Well played the Sweaties.

Last edited:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I'm at a disadvantage by not seeing the games but in these circumstances do you think a 5-3-2 would work better LI?

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Total cock LI (not you, but your post)... By only playing 1 up front the ball did not stick and Plymouth won everything back there against our sole striker and were easily able to mark him out of the game, no one even got up to support him, poor fella... We didn't even stand a chance... Hopefully it'll be 4-4-2 on Saturday then we might stand a chance of picking up a much needed point or 3.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
i agree with trigger if your going to play one upfront we will never have the ball in the attacking areas and the opposition will always be putting us under pressure, and our defence is not good enough at this level to cope with such pressure. you need someone to support molango, otherwise he will struggle to get goals. i just hope mcghee does play both knight and molango when he returns after the coventry game.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
4-4-2 at home, why can't we have two forwards ?

Trigger, the reason why the ball didn't stick is more complicated than that. We don't have forwards who can hold the ball up front, that's why McGhee is desperately searching for the "Targetman" - what is a targetman? - someone who hold the ball and relieves the pressure on midfield.

What are you arguing Trigger? That Robinson can do that? Suddenly you're a big convert to his skills after constantly doubting them? Come on mate!

Molango unfortunately is not a player who can perform this role either, although he might be a good player to support the targetman.

I thought the 4-5-1 was spot on and McGhee's best option. The problem is there are too may players filling in unfamilar roles. A 5 of Currie, Reid, Nicolas, Mayo and Jarrett didn't gel? Well, big shock. The 5 we played at Reading did for the first half until Charlie's injury. We must muddle on until we get the first choice players back - there are no magic solutions until then.

Munster, 5-3-2? The problem is not the flat back 4 but the defensive cover in front of them. Chippy and Oatway did the biz last year and Roberts was there to perform miracles when they broke through last year.

This evening we had a keystone cops first goal and a bad pass to Harding which played him into trouble. That's all.

When we get the players back, it will be a different story.

The criticism of 4-5-1 is a red herring. Thank heavens Charlie wasn't playing, at least he can't be scapegoated.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Molango needed someone up with him to help out, that was obvious.
A lot of under achievers tonight, Currie, Mayo, Nicolas. I hate to say it but I think Virgo had a poor game as well.

It says everything that we didn't force their keeper into a decent save for the whole game.

Hurry back Leon, your club needs you & so does Molango!

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
LI, you dont understand football at all do you?... With two up front when one jumps the other one can be there to pick up the pieces regardless of who he is (Robinson, Hart, Molango or even f***ing Virgo) and regardless of whether our player or their player wins the ball... 2 up front, double the threat... The way you go on you think we can play for 46 0-0 draws and end up losing them all and still stay up... We will not win games if we don't attack which means we will not stay up... Tonight was a 6 pointer, we played the wrong formation, we lost, end of story.

Edit: I am happy with the 4-5-1 away from home though, just so you know i'm not an all bad person, i think it is the right tactic for away games but for home games we should be winning, no way.

;)

Last edited:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Utter shite.

And don't get me started on the ref.

I just want to go to bed now and I have no interest in any of the other results tonight.

Thoroughly pissed off.

Trigger said:
LI, you dont understand football at all do you?... With two up front when one jumps the other one can be there to pick up the pieces regardless of who he is

f*** me, Arsene Wenger eat your heart out.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
i'll add to it :D

Reading played 4-5-1 when they went up with us for their first season back in the division and did it very well, so it can be done :)

we dont have the solid defence though to do it, we simply cant sitback with a weak defending left back, a right back who cant pass, and a slow centre back.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm in agreement with Trigger on this one. I know we have injuries but you can't start with one striker at home.

We were woeful tonight. I only hope we can learn from it and get something from Saturday's game!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Yup, the majority of the blame for this one lies firmly at McGhee's door.

One up front at home against a team that came up with us and one we need three points from at home? What an effing stupid decision. I wouldn 't have started Jake, but I WOULD have put Harty up there with Molango. Remember how he turned the game around when he came on up front at home to Swindon in the playoffs.

So you decide to make a substitution. Who to take off? Your best (by far) outfield player!! What the f... was McGhee thinking taking Jarrett off? The only guy in a striped shirt having a good game! Stupid decision.

So what to do on Saturday?
1. El Abd for Virgo who's started off very poorly.
2. Harding can't start again (he's been found out twice) so it's Kerry or Jones.
3. Harty up front with Molango.
4. Currie has done next to nothing so Harty needs to play wide right as well!! Whichever position, Harty MUST start. Alternative for wide right is ?? Reid .. no. Hinshelwood ... maybe.

We miss Chippie very much. Makes you realise what a key player he is. And Leon. ... what a fool getting himself a three match ban. WELL DONE, LEON, YOU EFFING IDIOT!

And by the way from where I was sitting in B Block almost level with the goal line, the own goal definitely crossed the line. No argument. And it probably was a penalty.

Thankfully there's time for McGhee to sort the mess out ...

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
McGhee clearly got it wrong but his players let him down big time tonight.

The ref was shite but even with the best ref in the world out there we still would have lost tonight!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm sorry, but McGhee's decisions tonight simply made no sense.

Playing 4-5-1 at Reading was understandable, and was effective (to an extent). However, at home against Plymouth, one of the bottom 8 teams who we really need to beat this just handed them the initiative from the off. We were playing another 2nd Div team out there - thank christ we wern't up against a West Ham or Sunderland, or the scoreline could have been embarrassing.

Quite how McGhee thought that sticking Mayo into the left side of a central midfield trio would work was anyones guess. The guy was COMPLETELY lost there tonight. He didn't seem to know where he was supposed to be playing - that little experiment was an unmitigated disaster, but was left to fester for most of the match.

The subbing of Jarrett was bewildering, as once again he carried what little threat we had in the game, even after being switched up front with Mahete after half time. And then still chasing the game, two goals down, McGhee takes off our main striker and puts a winger up front with Jake. Run that by me again ? How does that work then ?

The problems tonight all stemmed from playing a totally disjointed 5-4-1 that never came close to functioning. What would have been wrong with:

Virgo Cullip Butters Harding

Hart Reid Nicolas Jarrett

Molango Jake

Players in their familiar positions, in a familiar formation. Not ideal, as Jake is not really ready to be starting at this level, but at the moment we are short on options and thats all we are left with. Instead, we had a complete pigs ear of a team out there which sounded bizarre and unbalanced as soon as it was announced over the tannoy.

Keep it simple PLEASE McGhee. Dreadful as tonight was (and I have avoided even mentioning Currie), I am not yet hitting the panic button. When we get Chippy and Leon back and start getting back to having a settled side, I believe we have enough to stay in this division (just). But if McGhee starts with the same team and formation on Saturday, I seriously fear for us.

Last edited:

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Easy 10 said:
I'm sorry, but McGhee's decisions tonight simply made no sense.

Playing 4-5-1 at Reading was understandable, and was effective (to an extent). However, at home against Plymouth, one of the bottom 8 teams who we really need to beat this just handed them the initiative from the off. We were playing another 2nd Div team out there - thank christ we wern't up against a West Ham or Sunderland, or the scoreline could have been embarrassing.

Quite how McGhee thought that sticking Mayo into the left side of a central midfield trio was anyones guess. The guy was COMPLETELY lost there tonight. He didn't seem to know where he was supposed to be playing - that little experiment was an unmitigated disaster, but was left to fester for most of the match.

The subbing of Jarrett was bewildering, as once again he carried what little threat we had in the game, even after being switched up front with Mahete after half time. And then still chasing the game, two goals down, McGhee takes off our main striker and puts a winger up front with Jake. Run that by me again ? How does that work then ?

The problems tonight all stemmed from playing a totally disjointed 5-4-1 that never came close to functioning. What would have been wrong with:

Virgo Cullip Butters Harding

Hart Reid Nicolas Jarrett

Molango Jake

Players in their familiar positions, in a familiar formation. Not ideal, as Jake is not really ready to be starting at this level, but at the moment we are short on options and thats all we are left with. Instead, we had a complete pigs earof a team out there which sounded bizarre and unbalanced as soon as it was announced over the tannoy.

Keep it simple PLEASE McGhee. Dreadful as tonight was (and I have avoided even mentioning Currie), I am not yet hitting the panic button. When we get Chippy and Leon back and start getting back to having a settled side, I believe we have enough to stay in this division (just). But if McGhee starts with the same team and formation on Saturday, I seriously fear for us.

Totally agree with this post.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Well f*** ME LI? Many people agreeing with you?... No doubt your friends will when they get back but ujntil then all these impartial people don't seem to be backing you up...

Paul Brush eat your heart out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here