Lastnights west stand upper expiereince (views from a WSL season ticket holder)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I like many others toyed with the idea of the WSU as my choice of residence throughout the season, In the end I opted for WSL (centre) but lastnight was my first chance to try out the WSU and see what all the fuss in the roost was all about, I was intrueged to test whether I had made the right choice so here goes my view of how the two differ and last nights happenings.

I must admit climbing the never ending staircase each game wouldnt fill me with delight but to be fair it's only once a game and the view when you get to the top is worth the 3 ghurkas that I hired and oxygen bottle I had strapped to my back.

The concourse feels a lot more tight and compact in the WSU but this is made up by the fact I got served quicker up in the roost than I ever have before in WSL, The lower you have a fresher and more roomy feel about it, If you get served that quick all the time, i'd call it a score draw on concourses.

Now onto the view.........

We took our seats in row E on the wing, so reletively close to the front & I must say it is an incredible panoramic view up there, the hills in the distance, the sight of the away fans in their area having a beer, you really can see it all, but for me its just too high up...having a good sing song and atmosphere wise it's good as you have the roof to echo off but you really do feel so far detached from it all.

Your individuel screams of support such as "Go on Nooney" go un-heard by the players and by the second half that gave me a slight dejected feel and just sat back and enjoyed the game.

I personally love to get involved, feel every pass/tackle/foul & I didnt feel I could really get into the game as you can in WSL or any stand where your closer to the action, making out players names for opposition is also more or less impossible.

But the icing on the cake was when I turned round to see the guy directly behind me with binoulars, I rest my case your honour.

It might be the perfect choice for some but it's defo made me decide and see clearly that WSL was the right choice for me.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I like many others toyed with the idea of the WSU as my choice of residence throughout the season, In the end I opted for WSL (centre) but lastnight was my first chance to try out the WSU and see what all the fuss in the roost was all about, I was intrueged to test whether I had made the right choice so here goes my view of how the two differ and last nights happenings.

I must admit climbing the never ending staircase each game wouldnt fill me with delight but to be fair it's only once a game and the view when you get to the top is worth the 3 ghurkas that I hired and oxygen bottle I had strapped to my back.

The concourse feels a lot more tight and compact in the WSU but this is made up by the fact I got served quicker up in the roost than I ever have before in WSL, The lower you have a fresher and more roomy feel about it, If you get served that quick all the time, i'd call it a score draw on concourses.

Now onto the view.........

We took our seats in row E on the wing, so reletively close to the front & I must say it is an incredible panoramic view up there, the hills in the distance, the sight of the away fans in their area having a beer, you really can see it all, but for me its just too high up...having a good sing song and atmosphere wise it's good as you have the roof to echo off but you really do feel so far detached from it all.

Your individuel screams of support such as "Go on Nooney" go un-heard by the players and by the second half that gave me a slight dejected feel and just sat back and enjoyed the game.

I personally love to get involved, feel every pass/tackle/foul & I didnt feel I could really get into the game as you can in WSL or any stand where your closer to the action, making out players names for opposition is also more or less impossible.

But the icing on the cake was when I turned round to see the guy directly behind me with binoulars, I rest my case your honour.

It might be the perfect choice for some but it's defo made me decide and see clearly that WSL was the right choice for me.

Interesting this... As a resident of W1B I'd rather not visit WSU at all as I don't want to 'ruin' my view when I get back to my seat, if you ken what I mean. I'd hate to go up there and spend the rest of the season thinking about what I'm missing out on.

Agree about the benefit of being part of the action though...

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Interesting summary. For me the atmosphere and the fact that so far every home game has felt like an away game at Peterborough wins over any other negatives

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
WSU on the halfway line, i wouldnt change my seat, i like being up high, get a view of everything that is going on, and it has a brilliant atmophere too.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
We're STHs in WSU but went in WSL last Sat as we had a couple of extra tkts and wanted to see what it was like. I have to say that the view (row C block F) wasn't that great (too low) and there was absolutely no atmosphere. We tried singing along to the songs from WSU but nobody joined in and most looked less than happy with it. I guess this is where everyone from the Withdean North Stand have gone.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The higher view is easily better for reading the game and tactics and where perhaps it was not working for instance in WSU you could tell we had abandoned any right wing attacking in the forst half for no known reason

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
The atmosphere is immense in central WSU, that's for sure, and the view is fantastic. Will have to check out WSL at some point, can't really compare until then...

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
My ST is 3 rows from the back in WSU central. Yesterday I sat about 10 rows from the front in the East stand, and I couldn't wait to get back to my ST.

View; WSU > ES
Atmosphere; WSU > ES
Concourse; WSU > ES
Food/Service; WSU > ES
Even getting to the bloody train station seemed quicker from WSU.

I appreciate this is East stand rather then WSL, but I'm certain I'd feel the same way, if not worse, as I wouldn't have the beauty of the West stand to look at all game.

Oh, and I remember after the first few games there being posts about not being able to hear the WSU from the East stand due to some bollocks sound travelling rubbish. Absolute nonsense. WSU was roaring last night, and I couldn't wait to get back up there. See you Saturday my loud and proud friends.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
My first experience of West Stand Upper last night.
What a view! I personally think if you're a Football Connoisseur and enjoy watching the runs and movements of players, then WSU is the place to be. Its a great place to witness the work of Bridcutt and the runs that CMS makes throughout the game.
It did make me laugh watching all the Old Brigade huffing and puffing up the stairs!

What did annoy me...I could not find a Programme Seller during the half-time break in the WSU! I asked around and was told 'He left about 10 minutes before the start of the game' Great!!! Surely there must be a booth where they could sell Mechandise on that concourse??

All in all...brilliant stand, The WSU matches anything in the Premiership, reminds me a lot of the West Stand at Stamford Bridge.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The lower you have a fresher and more roomy feel about it
I'm surprised about this, given the airyness and beautiful views from the WSU concourse.

My ST is 3 rows from the back in WSU central. Yesterday I sat about 10 rows from the front in the East stand, and I couldn't wait to get back to my ST.

View; WSU > ES
Atmosphere; WSU > ES
Concourse; WSU > ES
Food/Service; WSU > ES
Even getting to the bloody train station seemed quicker from WSU.

I appreciate this is East stand rather then WSL, but I'm certain I'd feel the same way, if not worse, as I wouldn't have the beauty of the West stand to look at all game.

Oh, and I remember after the first few games there being posts about not being able to hear the WSU from the East stand due to some bollocks sound travelling rubbish. Absolute nonsense. WSU was roaring last night, and I couldn't wait to get back up there. See you Saturday my loud and proud friends.
Notters likes this post, see you Saturday :bigwave:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I personally think if you're a Football Connoisseur and enjoy watching the runs and movements of players, then WSU is the place to be. Its a great place to witness the work of Bridcutt and the runs that CMS makes throughout the game

I think that's a good point. I haven't watched a game from the WSU but I've been up there and the view is superb. But personally I'm glad I'm in the North as the atmosphere and feeling morein the thick of things is more important to me when watching the Albion. I tend to watch the actual football more closely on the odd occasion I go to the Emirates or to watch England. I don't care if John Terry or Wayne Rooney cant hear me shouting at them, but I want CMS etc to.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Our seats are in WSU, front of H, edge of penalty box, north end... yesterday we were at the back of North Stand, under the big screen.

It is a totally different experience - and not one I will be repeating soon.

I wouldn't mind trying the back few rows of WSL or the East Stand some time.

One thing is certain... the West Stand looks ENORMOUS from down there!

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Whilst the concourse in WSL is roomier than in WSU I still prefer the WSU concourse because it's lighter and has those nice windows allowing views over the outside greenery. Just feels a bit like a dungeon down in WSL

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Our seats are in WSU, front of H, edge of penalty box, north end... yesterday we were at the back of North Stand, under the big screen.

It is a totally different experience - and not one I will be repeating soon.

I wouldn't mind trying the back few rows of WSL or the East Stand some time.

One thing is certain... the West Stand looks ENORMOUS from down there!

You've gotta give us more than that! What was wrong with the North Stand? I'm a row H-er too by the way, so you must be just along from me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports