Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Last night was SHIT

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Sorry algie my friend but l cant agree.

Why Gus?, WHY WHY WHY? after only ONE match did u change seven, yes SEVEN of the team that played in our magnificent win at Swindon on Saturday?. This, to me, is the first major mistake l have seen Gus make.

Yes ok l know it was only the Carling Cup, know we were never going to win the competiition, but at this stage of the season particularly it is so important for eleven players on the pitch to gell together.

All of a sudden l have worries for Saturday now, Rochdale will be on a high from their win at Barnsley last night, and we wiil be forced into seeing another seven changes in personnel, even more after the sending off and injury last night.

Rant over.

ps ... can you tell l dont like the rotation system? lol

But that team was EASILY good enough to beat Northampton.

Are you honestly telling me that Painter, El-Abd, Whing, Elphick, Sparrow and Dicker wouldn't walk into any League Two team? Course they would. I'd even wager Baz and Battipeidi would.

The players let Gus down - simple as.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Gus f***ed up by not telling the fans he was putting out a weak squad, yeah, but his major f*** up was by putting out a squad that was too strong. What was the point in playing Sparrow or Navarro? Or bringing on Bennett? If something would have happened to him, we would been well and truly buggered.
Should've stuck the rezzies out and told the fans not to bother.

Agree, there's a sorta respect for the opposition/cup/fans thing there but everyone can see through that, so if you don't care, play Cook and James Smith in defence and Thomson in midfield and don't bother bringing on first team subs.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

Are you honestly telling me that Painter, El-Abd, Whing, Elphick, Sparrow and Dicker wouldn't walk into any League Two team? Course they would. I'd even wager Baz and Battipeidi would.

Individual errors by Poke and Whing and then Sparrow leaving us with 10 men for most of the game.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

You can't win games with half a team though.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Well perhaps Gus should have let people know beforehand that he'd be putting a reserve team out, before they bothered spending the time and money travelling all the way up to Northampton on a Tuesday night to watch the ressies bow out.

I'd have expected maybe two or three changes, but seven was a bit of a pisstake tbh. I felt exactly the same when McCarthy did it with Wolves at Old Trafford last season. You can say that the end justifies the means (which is also debatable in this case in my opinion), but at least just let people make an informed decision about whether its actually worth going or not.

I agree with you, but would probably still have gone anyway had I know what the starting lineup was as I have nothing better to do.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I agree with you, but would probably still have gone anyway had I know what the starting lineup was as I have nothing better to do.

Thats fair enough then, if you were always going to go. You'd already made your decision.
Personally though, if I'd spent the time and money going all the way up there for that, then I'd have been pretty macked off. If I'd known that was the team beforehand, the car wouldn't have left the driveway.

(I didn't bother anyway though as it happens, because I am a Bad Fan).

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
You can't win games with half a team though.

But its not half a team. The only players you could consider to be "weak links" (considering we were playing a LEAGUE TWO team) were Hart and Holroyd, one of whom was utterly prolific last season in a Division just 1 below that in which Northampton compete.

We had more than enough quality to beat Northampton with ease last night. Simple as that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But its not half a team. The only players you could consider to be "weak links" (considering we were playing a LEAGUE TWO team) were Hart and Holroyd, one of whom was utterly prolific last season in a Division just 1 below that in which Northampton compete.

We had more than enough quality to beat Northampton with ease last night. Simple as that.

I disagree.

Hart and Holroyd arn't really up to it, or are at best 4th division
Battipiedi and Baz are promising but relatively untried youngsters
Whing has been of the pace for some time now
Poke, it seems, was an accident waiting to happen

Thats a LOT of players to be carrying in a juggled-up team, even against the likes of Northampton. I'd be confident that the team that lined up against Swindon would've negotiated that tie fairly comfortably, but certainly NOT the half-team that Gus put out.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I disagree.

Hart and Holroyd arn't really up to it, or are at best 4th division
Battipiedi and Baz are promising but relatively untried youngsters
Whing has been of the pace for some time now
Poke, it seems, was an accident waiting to happen

Thats a LOT of players to be carrying in a juggled-up team, even against the likes of Northampton. I'd be confident that the team that lined up against Swindon would've negotiated that tie fairly comfortably, but certainly NOT the half-team that Gus put out.

the "juggling-up" seemed to be the problem - the team wasn't balanced with too many seemingly uncertain of their role. Only Poke and Whing had ABSOLUTE stinkers. Battipedi showed promise but with the exception of el Abd and Dicker (and latterly Smith and Bennett) the rest just didn't really perform to League 1 standard.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Well we were caught in traffic, two accidents ontop of shitty road works so missed both goals, didn't know where to sit so just sat down a shit end for the end of the first half.

OH And some f***ing wanker of a northampton fan coughed 2-0 in my ear on teh way back to our car. So thinking it was just a bit of banter i cough back League 1 and he offers me out. Kept calm since i'm not going to start a fight at a football match over a little comment because thats just ****ish really, and a bit of an embarassment to the club, but what a f***ing twat. Even his mates were like "its just banter, leave it out". Went to give me a kinda half arsed punch/tap thing in my stomach as he walked away like a knob too. :rant:

***** for clapping no doubt. Shitty team, could only fill one stand, yet we travel three hours away to pack the away stand? Says a lot about our team and theirs.

:rant: :rant: :rant:

Falmerite

Jul 26, 2004
Burgess Hill
Gus got it badly wrong. One of our best moments of the last few years was beating Man City in this competition 2 years ago and last season's best day out was Villa Park in the F.A. Cup. He's has done us out of what could be potentially another big draw.
THINK OF THE FANS GUS!

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Well we were caught in traffic, two accidents ontop of shitty road works so missed both goals, didn't know where to sit so just sat down a shit end for the end of the first half.

OH And some f***ing wanker of a northampton fan coughed 2-0 in my ear on teh way back to our car. So thinking it was just a bit of banter i cough back League 1 and he offers me out. Kept calm since i'm not going to start a fight at a football match over a little comment because thats just ****ish really, and a bit of an embarassment to the club, but what a f***ing twat. Even his mates were like "its just banter, leave it out". Went to give me a kinda half arsed punch/tap thing in my stomach as he walked away like a knob too. :rant:

***** for clapping no doubt. Shitty team, could only fill one stand, yet we travel three hours away to pack the away stand? Says a lot about our team and theirs.

:rant: :rant: :rant:
I'd have chinned the ****.

Northampton

Aug 11, 2010
Hi there Northampton fan here

First of all sorry for the guy that got offered out. Really not the game to be behaving like that but every club has a few.

As for the rest of the posts, they are very patrosing. What most of you miss out is that you were totally outplayed even before the sending off. Fair enough it was your reserves but you can't ignore that our play was spot on. Highlights were the headed goal which was fantastic finishing and a great cross from Gilligan.

The highlight/lowlight for me was when Michael Jacobs (who would walk into your team) turned Navarro so completely that he went arse over tit and smashed his leg up. I have never seen anyone done like that in my life, was actually shocking. In all fairness no-one realises the poor sod had been injured badly thinking it was more his pride and when it was realised Navarro got a round of applause leaving the field.

Jacobs really is one to watch and ran you ragged all night, including his goal where he waltzed past your defence

All in all a bad night at the office for you but you got the backlash from sat where we went to Torquay with the wrong selections. As for these comments "a team like
Northampton we have had good results over you in the past few years and long may it continue. Anyone remember Kuipers tantrum lol

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Yeah last night was shit, but I wasn't expecting a world class performance when we had a reserve team out. Poyet did the right thing by resting most of the team who played at Swindon we need to concentrate on the league not carling cup. But this still doesn't excuse how shit we were I mean this is a league 2 side who lost 3-0 to torquay. We should of at least made a game of it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here