Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kid drowned

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Why young children are running around a pond unsupervised is the question I'd be asking

No no no no no. Completely disagree. Manchester has hundreds of miles of unsecured canals. It's attitudes like yours that creates a nanny state with the H&S laws that we have.

The questions that SHOULD be being asked are what were untrained fuckwits doing patrolling a stretch of water and why didn't they forget their effing jobsworth attitude for one lousy minute and rescue the poor child.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No no no no no. Completely disagree. Manchester has hundreds of miles of unsecured canals. It's attitudes like yours that creates a nanny state with the H&S laws that we have.

The questions that SHOULD be being asked are what were untrained fuckwits doing patrolling a stretch of water and why didn't they forget their effing jobsworth attitude for one lousy minute and rescue the poor child.

Beat me to it. :thumbsup:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This story (as told) can't possible be true. Also the training aspect is utterly utterly irrelevant. We're talking about basic humanity here. I'm sure the police officer wanted to say "Yes, they should have said to hell with the regulations and tried their best to save the boy, but unfortunatey we had two cowards on duty who hid behind the fact they didn't have any training."

What a shit country we've become.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
In the story I read about this, the two officers couldn,t even see where the lad was. I don,t really think this is a case of two officers standing by, while a 10 year old was floundering in the water.More a case of a lad "somewhere" in the water, and I can only presume that the "pond" was rather larger than your average fish pond. A very very sad event whatever the circumstances.

Actually CSO officers have little more power than you or me, though it changes a little bit around the Country depending on the local Police force.

Actually I can only swim a little bit but I would still aim to help - its basic humanity - I couldn't just stand there for a child.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don,t really think this is a case of two officers standing by, while a 10 year old was floundering in the water.More a case of a lad "somewhere" in the water, and I can only presume that the "pond" was rather larger than your average fish pond.

True, but f***ing LAME nevertheless. From the BBC:

"The inquest into his death heard the PCSOs did not rescue him as they were not trained to deal with the incident. "

And:

"The alarm was raised and the PCSOs arrived on the scene. Police said they could see no sign of Jordon in the water, so they radioed trained officers for help. "

So a kid is drowning so radioing for a policeman seemed like a good idea? TWATS.

It does seem that these people should be trained in to do first aid and basic life saving, otherwise, why are we paying £20k plus a year, since their crime prevention is minimal?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
... "The alarm was raised and the PCSOs arrived on the scene. Police said they could see no sign of Jordon in the water, so they radioed trained officers for help. "
Bloody hell even Phil Mitchel from Eastenders dived in the water even though he couldn't see where the boys were. Drowning people don't always splash about on the surface.

You can just imagine that even if they had been on a course they wouldn't have tried to help as they didn't have lifejackets or the right paperwork.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I would not be able to live with myself if Id stood by while a young child drowned. That boys death is on their hands as far as I;m concerned. They could have helped, but they made the concious decision to stand there and do nothing, except leave it to someone else (who was inevitably too late).

Yoda

English & European
we have been having this argument at work, re trained first aiders. Do you know the Met do not advise their officers to administer first aid any more....for fear of being sued by the very people they are trying to help

That is a f***ing joke. You have to show complete incompetence to even have a chance of being successfully sued.

Yoda

English & European
On a similar theme - I heard an odd one yesterday, in that apparently it is now acceptable or even the norm, NOT to keep plasters in an office first aid kit, just in case someone is allergic to them.
:nono:

But that's why your told to ask them if they are allergic to them before applying one.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
But that's why your told to ask them if they are allergic to them before applying one.

I know that. You know that. But not keeping them in a first aid kit just in case? Sheesh - that's just stoooopid.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
On a similar theme - I heard an odd one yesterday, in that apparently it is now acceptable or even the norm, NOT to keep plasters in an office first aid kit, just in case someone is allergic to them.
:nono:

there are quite a few things you are not allowed to keep in a FA Kit.

One of teh things I always found odd was that you are not allowed safety pins incase someone stabs themselves with one....:rolleyes:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
What's pissing me off about this story is the way that the real police have used such a cheap, tabloid-friendly shot - that all health and safety directives are a bad thing (cos they're bloody not) - to cover up for their employment of a pair of pathetic cowards.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...

Attitudes like mine ???

If you let your kids f*** about near water, better make sure they can swim. That's my attitude.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What's pissing me off about this story is the way that the real police have used such a cheap, tabloid-friendly shot - that all health and safety directives are a bad thing (cos they're bloody not) - to cover up for their employment of a pair of pathetic cowards.
I agree that Health & Safety directives are largely there for our own good and consequently I can't get angry about the lack of plasters or paracetomol in FA kits at work. But you are unfairly blaming the police - they are NOT doing what you say they are doing. They're actually blaming the government and I think it's a fair point. What the f*** is the point of these support officers? And have we got too many of them where police should be. i.e. is it government penny pinching?

Paul Kelly, chairman of the Police Federation in Manchester, said PCSOs do not have the same level of training as police officers to deal with life-saving situations.

He said: "The message is clear and unambiguous - it's the government, they are trying to fool the public.

"They take a person and dress him up as a police officer but they just don't have the same powers.

"Every single police officer I trained with left training school with a life-saving certificate of some sort."

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Attitudes like mine ???

If you let your kids f*** about near water, better make sure they can swim. That's my attitude.
Yes, that's part of it, and without wishing to bring the whole 'McCann School of Parenting' debate up again you could stare down your nose and ask what were they doing 'playing unsupervised'. That's certainly the current view of childcare. (Whether it's correct or not is another matter).

However if you'd come across the situation would you have tried to help? Or would you have stood on the bank saying "Sorry, squire, not my field. Best call the experts eh?"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here