Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kid drowned

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
According to Radio 4 tonight when the PCSOs got there there was no sign of the boy on the surface, the water was black (meaning you couldn't see in it), was very deep and the 'pond' was the size of a football pitch.

I don't disagree withy any of the points about people getting proper training to do the job they are supposed to do; but as regards the actual incident doesn't this put another perspective on it?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
According to Radio 4 tonight when the PCSOs got there there was no sign of the boy on the surface, the water was black (meaning you couldn't see in it), was very deep and the 'pond' was the size of a football pitch.

I don't disagree withy any of the points about people getting proper training to do the job they are supposed to do; but as regards the actual incident doesn't this put another perspective on it?

Nope - I'd have still stripped off and dived in.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

No

a child died who might not have done and they didnt even get their feet wet

I hope they wake up in a cold sweat at night thinking what they might have done if only they had tried

their apologist employers show precisely why the police have lost the respect of the people

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
The "trained Police Sergeant" who turned up dived in and tried to help, against the policy as outlined by the Assistant Chief Constable, who should be thoroughly ashamed of those two fuckwits, and even more ashamed of trying to defend their inaction. The two Mickey Mouse Support Officers should be employed doing what they do best - paperwork. They should not be supplementing police on the beat, they should be freeing up police from the mundane shite in the station.

I'm the same age as you and I wasn't. In fact I still can't swim.
When I moved from Newport to the midlands at the age of 12, I was shocked to discover that there were some people of my age who couldn't yet swim.

As it happens, I learned to swim at the age of about seven. But at the Newport primary school I attended, we had compulsory swimming lessons at the local swimming pool EVERY DAY FOR THREE WEEKS, after we'd finished our 11+ exams. Every child in the town did.

The situation at my school in the midlands rapidly improved, once a swimming pool was built at the school. Weekly swimming sessions for everyone were part of the pattern of school life. I don't think it was possible to leave school without learning to swim. And basic life-saving in water was also routinely taught.

It shocks me that these things no longer happen in schools. My own kids learned to swim before they were two. The middle one did rather well in last weekend's Brighton Triathlon.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Weekly swimming sessions for everyone were part of the pattern of school life. I don't think it was possible to leave school without learning to swim. And basic life-saving in water was also routinely taught.

I went to St Nicholas in Locks Hill Portslade and Hove County Grammar for girls and didn't have any swimming lessons.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
There was no pool at Tideway.

Newport schools used public swimming pools. The town was proud of the fact that it had two competition pools and a tradition of delivering international swimmers to the Wales and Great Britain teams.

Everyone got to enjoy the benefits, though.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
There was the King Alfred and some schools used it but not mine.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Cheshire Cat;my primary had its own (outdoor and unheated) pool which was about 3 feet deep to learn in.[/QUOTE said:
Mine did too. I reckon thats the reason I was never able to swim. We were herded into the bloody thing once a week from April to October and I HATED it. I am now so phobic about swimming I have been known to faint at the sight of people swimming in the sea.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Those parents are just trying to shift the blame from themselves.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford

Are you basing that on perceived social status?

Would you say the same if they were, perhaps, a couple of lovely upper-middle class Doctors who let their child play unattended around the side of an enclosed swimming pool in Southern Spain...?

The blame is on the two spineless sacks of shit who did nothing - the fact that the Police Sergeant on scene jumped straight in belies their inability to take any action at all.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Are you serious, Doug? What are the parents supposed to do? Wrap them in cotton wool? This was just an accident. No-one's fault that the girl fell in and I'm sure that they weren't being irresponsible. 2 fuckwitted 'special' bobbies stood by wringing their hands and did absolutely nothing whilst a boy drowned. The hobby bobbies are as guilty as hell of gross cowardice. The parents are absolutely blameless in this.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

The way I read it the parents are neither trying to shift the blame or even point the finger of blame, All they want to know is why those 2 spineless idiots done nothing to help and why they did'nt even attend the inquest.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The way I read it the parents are neither trying to shift the blame or even point the finger of blame, All they want to know is why those 2 spineless idiots done nothing to help and why they did'nt even attend the inquest.

Heard the interview on the radio and telly, why wasn't she with the kids instead of chatting to her mates.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Heard the interview on the radio and telly, why wasn't she with the kids instead of chatting to her mates.

Because every parent calls a situation how they see it Doug and sometimes you feel things are safe until it comes back to bite you. It bit me when little bulldog had an accident and it bit one of my sisters when her son nearlly drowned but it does'nt make you a bad parent.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
I don't think diving into a large deep pond with no signs of where the boy was would be particularly clever, what use would that be? I do think however that the least I would do is wade in up to my neck and try and make some effort to search the area he was last seen. Not going in at all isn't an option when you are just talking about a pond. If it had been a stormy sea with currents and riptides and large waves etc then certainly I wouldn't go in unless i was attached to a lifeline and had a lifebuoy. Difficult to completely vilify the PCSOs as I have only read reports online and in the papers and don;t know the full story including their account.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I don't think diving into a large deep pond with no signs of where the boy was would be particularly clever, what use would that be? I do think however that the least I would do is wade in up to my neck and try and make some effort to search the area he was last seen. Not going in at all isn't an option when you are just talking about a pond. If it had been a stormy sea with currents and riptides and large waves etc then certainly I wouldn't go in unless i was attached to a lifeline and had a lifebuoy. Difficult to completely vilify the PCSOs as I have only read reports online and in the papers and don;t know the full story including their account.

a very fair view but be careful fellar - any comment could cost you if your superiors could identify who you are???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here