Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kid drowned

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
what i dont understand is WHY the CSO's were sent to start with, to a situation where they awere 'not allowed' to do anything that could really help?

water and kids drowning deserved a full fledged response, not a half hearted go see whats up approach..

as the younger kid was rescued by some fishermen, wouldn't it follow that the other person would be close by..?

Either CSO's need to be given mmore/better training, or scrap the lot and have staff who are more able/inclined to do the right thing.. you can argue toss re health/safetty later..

last thought- why were the kids allowed out by such a 'dangerous' spot, in the first place??

Last edited:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
a very fair view but be careful fellar - any comment could cost you if your superiors could identify who you are???

He's quite safe. It's not like he's disobeying guidlines and getting his feet wet!

Watched a couple of Crap Support Orifices this morning in the local High Street. Chatting to an Oxfam stall holder whilst kids cycled up and down the pedestrianised bit behind them. When reminded of their job, they both just went red, and then picked on the smallest child they could find whilst ignoring the kids that looked like they might pose a problem. f***ing useless pieces of shit, they should be employed as paperwork bunnies to get coppers on the street.

Still, at least they aren't "Special" - who in their right mind puts a uniform on for no money at all - methinks it is more to do with the "strutting around in front of the mirror and wanking themselves silly" than with a sense of civic duty.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
He's quite safe. It's not like he's disobeying guidlines and getting his feet wet!

..........methinks it is more to do with the "strutting around in front of the mirror and wanking themselves silly" than with a sense of civic duty.

:D:D:D:D

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
TV told father of son's drowning

The estranged father of a 10-year-old boy says he did not learn of his death by drowning until four months later. John Prestwich said he discovered that Jordon Lyon had died from a TV report on the inquest into his death in Wigan, Greater Manchester.

The case caused controversy after it emerged that two police community support officers (PCSOs) had declined to jump into a pond to save him. Mr Prestwich told BBC Five Live he had lost contact with the boy's mother. Jordon jumped into the pond in an effort to rescue his step-sister as they played together in May. Fishermen managed to save his step-sister from the water.

Mr Prestwich said he had separated from Jordon's mother, Tracy Ganderton, eight years ago, but initially had regular access to Jordon and their other son, Brandon.

He said was serving in the Army at the time, and had returned home on leave one weekend to find that his ex-wife and children had moved house, leaving no new address. Mr Prestwich said he had tried to trace them through the Child Support Agency (CSA) but was told details could not be given out due to the Data Protection Act. It was not until he saw the news in September that he realised Jordon had died, he said.

"It was like someone had hold of my throat and I couldn't get any words out, I just collapsed on the floor," he said. "In my eyes, if I was in contact, I might not have been there on that specific day but I know that I would have been able to go to the hospital and actually see him. I know that he was looking for me, so just me turning up at the hospital, saying I was there, could have been enough to bring him round. The fact that I have had to turn up in September, four months after he died... I just wish that I had been contacted.

"I know I am on the system, the electoral register. I am available to be found if someone looks, and I've done that on purpose, so that if Jordon and Brandon did decide to look for me, they could find me. Nobody should be watching the news one day and find out that their son's died - nobody."

Jordon's death sparked a row over the role of the two PCSOs, who were called to the scene but did not enter the water as they were not trained to deal with the incident. Instead, they radioed police to come to the scene. Jordon was eventually pulled from the pond, but despite attempts to resuscitate him was later pronounced dead in hospital.

A verdict of accidental death was recorded at the inquest into his death.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
right, lets clear something up!

The very first thing you are told to do on a first aid course is to look for danger as you dont want to put yourself at risk by saving someone else thus meaning that there are now 2 casualties to rescue!

Secondly, as already mentioned on here, I very much doubt that this lad was drowning a few feet away from where these officers were standing and watching, Im sure it was a HUGE pond and the water wouldnt have been clear enough to see someone who is more than a yard or two away from you!

Thirdly, The officers were not the only ones there at the time! What about the 2 fishermen that had already been in to get the water to get the girl? No one is blaming them for not going to get the boy as persumibly they didnt just walk off after they got out the water?

Now Im a trained Lifeguard and I would think twice about going into a pond If I thaught it would put me in danger!

Fair enough your human instinct would take over and you would go in and try to save him, but what if you also got into trouble? Then it makes any further rescue attempts more difficult because there are two casualties, and what member of the public would want to choose who lives and dies?

Edit: Also, NONE of the people who have commented about the officers saying that there "inhuman" and "jobsworths" were acctually there at the time, so as far as I see it, you cant pass judgement on them!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Right - rather than clear things up, let's speculate shall we, Ali. 'Cause that's all you've done yet you criticise others for exactly the same.

Apparently the 2 elderly fishermen were already in the water looking for the child. The 2 jobsworths COULD have waded up to where the fishermen were, at least.

The 1st policeman (proper one - not hobby bobby) stripped down and dived straight in.

A job like a "pretend" policeman is intrinsically dangerous. They put themselves in danger just by putting the uniform on and patrolling the streets. They are there to protect and serve. If they don't feel able to put themselves in a position where they are in danger then they ought not play at being bobbies in the 1st place. Leave it to the real heroes in the emergency services.

Hmmm.....armed with those facts alone, I'd say they were nobbers of the highest order.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Now Im a trained Lifeguard and I would think twice about going into a pond If I thaught it would put me in danger!

!

Odd the result your training has had then, as a former member of the Surf Life Saving Association of Australia, and nipper and dolphin, we ALWAYS go into the water, our training was based on the human instinct to protect and nurture, so we go in the water BUT we go in with all the tools we can possibly muster, sometimes only ourselves....

If someone were in the water struggling in any circumstance, you'd have a hard time holding me back, no matter what...

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Odd the result your training has had then, as a former member of the Surf Life Saving Association of Australia, and nipper and dolphin, we ALWAYS go into the water, our training was based on the human instinct to protect and nurture, so we go in the water BUT we go in with all the tools we can possibly muster, sometimes only ourselves....

If someone were in the water struggling in any circumstance, you'd have a hard time holding me back, no matter what...

Be fair. Not having a whistle would have hampered the rescue attempt, and no matter how many times Ali shouted "no bombing", it wouldn't have helped.

And, as the Royal Life Saving Society of the UK says - "Lifesavers can bridge the gap between an incident being discovered and the emergency services arriving. In effect they can make a crucial difference." No mention of standing around like a twat waiting for a real copper to turn up then?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
For all you Billy Big Bollocks, who'd waste no time in donning your super hero outfits should you encounter someone drowning.

Britons drown off Portugal coast

Three Britons and a German national have drowned off the south-west coast of the Algarve, in Portugal.
Three other Britons were being treated in hospital following the incident, a Foreign Office spokeswoman said.

Local authorities said they dived in to save three children who were later washed ashore with slight injuries.

The British ambassador had contacted the civil governor, and the British consul in Portimao was travelling to the area, the Foreign Office added.

One of those who died was picked up by a lifeboat and the other three were washed ashore by waves.

Local emergency services were unable to revive the four adults who are believed to be aged between 40 and 50 years old.

The Foreign Office spokeswoman said next of kin were being informed.

No further details were available, she said

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7057412.stm

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
For all you Billy Big Bollocks, who'd waste no time in donning your super hero outfits should you encounter someone drowning.

Britons drown off Portugal coast

Three Britons and a German national have drowned off the south-west coast of the Algarve, in Portugal.
Three other Britons were being treated in hospital following the incident, a Foreign Office spokeswoman said.

Local authorities said they dived in to save three children who were later washed ashore with slight injuries.

The British ambassador had contacted the civil governor, and the British consul in Portimao was travelling to the area, the Foreign Office added.

One of those who died was picked up by a lifeboat and the other three were washed ashore by waves.

Local emergency services were unable to revive the four adults who are believed to be aged between 40 and 50 years old.

The Foreign Office spokeswoman said next of kin were being informed.

No further details were available, she said

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7057412.stm

Yep, that'll teach 'em for not pulling up a deck chair and watching the kids drown. :glare:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here