Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kid drowned

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Don't think people on here will be happy until those PCSO's are drowned themselves as a punishment.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Yes, that's part of it, and without wishing to bring the whole 'McCann School of Parenting' debate up again you could stare down your nose and ask what were they doing 'playing unsupervised'. That's certainly the current view of childcare. (Whether it's correct or not is another matter).

However if you'd come across the situation would you have tried to help? Or would you have stood on the bank saying "Sorry, squire, not my field. Best call the experts eh?"

I might have done, depends if I knew what was going on. It's hard to make judgments without the full facts.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Don't think people on here will be happy until those PCSO's are drowned themselves as a punishment.

what rubbish. Speaking for myself I'll be happy if these 2 jobsworth cowards are removed from their jobs where they are put in positions which they are not qualified to do nor are they able to make rational, human judgements necessary. It's not a witch-hunt. It's common sense. It's actually more dangerous having people like these employed as police as it gives a false sense of security.

And our outrage is justified. No law in the land would stop anyone with an ounce of humanity from helping that child.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
What you say is true. However, what I say is also true.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
But you are unfairly blaming the police - they are NOT doing what you say they are doing. They're actually blaming the government and I think it's a fair point. What the f*** is the point of these support officers? And have we got too many of them where police should be. i.e. is it government penny pinching?
Well, Officer Buckpass would probably be delighted to see his message hitting home so clearly; job done. Because I'd say that "bloody health and safety" is EXACTLY what this revolting "real" cop is saying, knowing damn well that that's been - rather oddly, all in all - a dead horse that the press have been flogging for a while now. So it's a shoulder-shrugging "not our fault mate" cheap shot, and all that uttered over a dead child's drowned body. It's contemptuous.

The police are - and not always unjustifiably - always moaning about CSOs or anything else that smacks to them of policing on the cheap: I've heard them slagging off special constables with the same venom and in the same way as this tawdry buckpassing little jobsworth. But, this truly pathetic story notwithstanding, I'd stick up for the idea of some deterrent effect coming from CSOs - I've seen some chavvy little snotters cowed by them in person at train stations etc.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
MoH, seriously, whereabouts do you get this idea that Officer Buckpass is blaming health and safety?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Do you know the Met do not advise their officers to administer first aid any more....for fear of being sued by the very people they are trying to help

With all due respect, Dave, that is utter bollocks.

For your info, I have just spoken to a mate of mine who's recently transferred to the Met and he says that all their officers have to have their first aid training updated on a regular basis. Not only that but the force would back an officer to the hilt who had administered first aid with the best intentions, even if it went tits up for some reason later on.

The case above is a terrible one, but don't let the issue be clouded by myths like that.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
MoH, seriously, whereabouts do you get this idea that Officer Buckpass is blaming health and safety?
Here:
"In a statement after the hearing, Det Ch Insp Phil Owen, of Wigan CID, who led the investigation into Jordon's death, said: "PCSOs are not trained to deal with major incidents such as this.

"Both ourselves and the fire brigade regularly warn the public of the dangers of going into unknown stretches of water so it would have been inappropriate for PCSOs, who are not trained in water rescue, to enter the pond. "

Of course, every single person's initial and entirely justifiable reaction to that is likely to be "how stupid, that there are rules and regs about that, about training, when a child is drowning", when in reality, there is nothing there for him to defend - any one of us would have done more to save that kiddy than those plums. Why couldn't he say that, instead of talking shite about "training"?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I'd stick up for the idea of some deterrent effect coming from CSOs - I've seen some chavvy little snotters cowed by them in person at train stations etc.

Really? Not round here they aren't. I regularly see little oiks standing up to the CSOs. It takes about 7 of them to sort out a little bit of unruliness outside McDonalds.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
"Both ourselves and the fire brigade regularly warn the public of the dangers of going into unknown stretches of water so it would have been inappropriate for PCSOs, who are not trained in water rescue, to enter the pond. "

Of course, every single person's initial and entirely justifiable reaction to that is likely to be "how stupid, that there are rules and regs about that, about training, when a child is drowning", when in reality, there is nothing there for him to defend - any one of us would have done more to save that kiddy than those plums. Why couldn't he say that, instead of talking shite about "training"?
I think it's because he wants to have a sideswipe at the whole concept of PCSO's rather than 'Health and Safety'.

I'm not a particularly strong swimmer but once on holiday I jumped into a swimming pool to fish out a child who was in difficulties. Not the same thing as in my case I could clearly see the child, but the last thing on my mind was that I wasn't trained in water rescue and so therefore my action was 'inappropriate'. He's damming them (and the concept of PCSO's) with faint praise.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Why isn't EVERYONE trained in basic rescue techniques?

I know that circumstances will sometimes be beyond the skills of someone with no more than basic training, and it's easy to condemn. But I was taught basic life-saving at school. As was everyone, simply because swimming was part of the curriculum in those days (not that it was called "The Curriculum", of course).

I'm the same age as you and I wasn't. In fact I still can't swim.

I agree with Simster about the PCSOs. If they could swim or grab a branch or something then they should have gone to the rescue.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
There is a picture of this so called "pond" on the "bbc.co.uk" Doesn,t look like a pond to me,.... more like a lake. It also states that the boy "had not been seen for some time", by the time the PCSO,s arrived on the scene.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
No-one knows what the water was really like - there could have been all sorts of undercurrents going on - and it could have been treacherous conditions. Yes, i realise it would have made a good hero story, and it's sad that the children have died - but come on. It would have been far worse if the PCSO's had died too.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
No-one knows what the water was really like - there could have been all sorts of undercurrents going on - and it could have been treacherous conditions. Yes, i realise it would have made a good hero story, and it's sad that the children have died - but come on. It would have been far worse if the PCSO's had died too.

It didn't deter the fishermen who did rescue the child.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Or the ten year old who lost his life helping to save her.
Whatever way you slice it, two fully grown adults standing on the banks of that lake wringing their hands while a boy drowned was reprehensible. The fact that they were "Community Support Officers" makes it even worse.

His blood is on their hands.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
From what i've heard the boy jumped in to save hes sister, he helped push her head above the water whilst at the same time had hes own head was under water, the fishermen pulled the girl out of the water and when they turned round they couldn't see where the boy was and then got the cpo's.

What i want to know is what the fishermen did when neither of the cpo's would jump in? Surley one of them must be able to swim or at least have some sort of first aid equipment with them?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
even forgetting that they are pretend police (as in pretending that they are there for the good of the community) how could any caring adult not even try.........it leaves me shaking my head for where we have come to as a society

but for sheer anger it is hard to find anything more reprehensible than a senior police officer seeking to justify a lack of human compassion on f***ing health & safety rules

Ban me if you like but they are royal f***ing ****s the lot of them - a disgrace to their uniform and to the country and the people they should represent. I shiver to think how this will be viewed by friends around the world.

Today I am ashamed to be English:rant:

Last edited:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
It didn't deter the fishermen who did rescue the child.

Well, if there were two fishermen pulling the 8 year old girl out, why didn,t they go back for the boy..?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here