Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Has it made you feel proud ?

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
..... although despite my last post and the fact I support the jubilee celebrations and monarchy, I think this is a fair post.

I wouldn't say I'm proud of the celebrations, I was proud yesterday because my lad shared his ice cream with another toddler completely unprompted, I was quite proud the day before when I prepped a lovely spread and nailed a bit of Lamb on the BBQ for everyone.

I think it's nice that there's a reason for everyone to have a celebration, put up some flags and get together with other people. I drove through a few sussex villages yesterday and they look great with all the flags out. Its taken a lot of effort and organisation, that's what life should be about. It certainly isn't about grumbling constantly on social media!

I very much concur with this :thumbsup:

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
The Monarchy should be left where it belongs in the past. Personally I think when Queen goes that will be it regards popular support. Royalty serves no purpose anymore. Keep them but they should pay their way and pay their taxes in an open and transparent way which isnt the case right now.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
For the first time in ages I'm don't feel embassessed to be British. We do stuff like this better than everybody else.

I wasn't bought up as a royalist but I do appreciate it now, I cringe at the thought of not having it but having to live in a country with somebody like our PM as the head of state

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
There is a definitely a feelgood factor around. I took some pics of the Black Horse pub yesterday in Rottingdean bedecked in Jubilee bunting and flags. I was across the road and several cars stopped in the street to let me have a clear view of the exterior with the traffic building up behind them, it's rarely happened before, most drivers will just take up the slack in the traffic and get in the way. A little thing I know, but noticeable all the same

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Maybe the most common reason is that people actually don't give a ****, rather than them trying to be cool and edgy.

I'd imagine those people exist in every country. They do here, at least. I've not watched any royal marriages or funerals and I won't be tied to the TV next year when the Swedish king celebrates 50 years at the throne... and nothing to do with being cool and edgy - I just simply can't imagine anything more boring than some old bloke waving from whatever vehicle he'll be sitting in.

Not caring is absolutely fine. What's difficult to understand is how much time and effort people take to tell you how much they don't care.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's been nice to see our national flag outside people's houses and it not be a bit naff or key indicator that I probably wouldn't get on with that person
Surely they should be flying The Royal Standard ? Its really Queens celebration primarily.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not caring is absolutely fine. What's difficult to understand is how much time and effort people take to tell you how much they don't care.

Sure but maybe it is a logical consequence when people around you talk about it. Right now there's 7 threads about the queen on the first page, this one asking "has it made you feel proud?" and then you can sort of expect to get a variety of answers regardless if people care or not.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
The small amount of jubilee coverage I’ve seen on the telly has made me feel proud.

Nothing like seeing red, white and blue smoke coming out of the back of the red arrows to swell the chest.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Why is it difficult to understand that some people aren't in favour of an anachronistic system that epitomises many of the country's entrenched problems?

On a day-to-day basis I give little ****s but the fawning over the figurehead does irk me a little. Irk is probably too strong a word, actually. It's just odd. Of course, it's nice that eveyone's having a good time but I find the whole thing perplexing. Before I get accused of being miserable, I'd like to make clear I'm having a lovely weekend too.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hidcote is great,,,despite the rain! Much of the redevelopment in Bath has been good...but the council don't always get it right . Cotswolds...Bourton-on-the-water nice if you get time. Enjoy.

Glad we visited and got lucky with the weather 🙂

447F2DF2-8E7C-4C03-B4B9-0F8F3207961A.png

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No.

Not tuned in to watch any of it, and have zero bunting up, and won't be listening to Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1 on repeat

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Hidcote is great,,,despite the rain! Much of the redevelopment in Bath has been good...but the council don't always get it right . Cotswolds...Bourton-on-the-water nice if you get time. Enjoy.

I visited Bourton last summer, as well as Idbury and Stow-on-the-Wold amongst other places. We had lunch in the Double Red Duke, which I'd highly recommend.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Why is it difficult to understand that some people aren't in favour of an anachronistic system that epitomises many of the country's entrenched problems?

On a day-to-day basis I give little ****s but the fawning over the figurehead does irk me a little. Irk is probably too strong a word, actually. It's just odd. Of course, it's nice that eveyone's having a good time but I find the whole thing perplexing. Before I get accused of being miserable, I'd like to make clear I'm having a lovely weekend too.

At least with the Queen as head of state she’s not going to embarrass Britain abroad. Boris would currently be head of state if we had no monarchy. She’s worth it for that alone.

I think it’s worth having a serious conversation about the monarchy once Liz dies, but for the moment I’m off to get drunk In the sunshine celebrating the platinum jubilee.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Surely they should be flying The Royal Standard ? Its really Queens celebration primarily.

Only when the Queen is in residence. The Union flag on Buckingham Palace changed at 11.30 to the Royal Standard to show she had arrived from Windsor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here