Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Has it made you feel proud ?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I wonder if other countries have this thing where people are desperate to show how cool and edgy they are by doing everything they can to not be involved in big events that happen in their country. We saw it last year with the ‘I never watch England’ brigade when the best English team in a generation was marching towards the final. It was almost comical watching those people start to panic as England progressed and they didn’t know whether to admit they’d got it wrong and join the party, or whether to stick with their ridiculous stance to save face.

There must be some kind of psychological reason for it, I guess, but it’s quite sad for them really, they’re missing out. I think Brighton in particular really suffers from this demographic, that desperation to be different.

I’m hardly a Royalist, but it is pretty amazing what the Queen has managed, and what an astonishing life she has led. Why wouldn’t people ‘celebrate’ the long weekend by going to a BBQ or a village day and having a jubilee cupcake and some Pimms with friends? I don’t get it. It doesn’t mean you’re a Royalist that wants to immediately abolish parliament if you put a bit of bunting on your road and enjoy a drink in this sunshine with your neighbours, it’s just a nice thing to do.

Nicely put, my experience of this weekend and bank holidays etc. is that it has created opportunities to meet neighbours (in a number of different jubilee inspired events) that I would never typically take the time to speak to in the ordinary course.

Most of who I spoke with were neither Che Guevaras or Ian Paisleys, just people broadly looking to take this weekend as an opportunity to enjoy themselves with their families.

No one got pissed, no one argued, no one cried, all in all it was just nice, and that’s because that was the overwhelming disposition of those that were a) prepared to share their homes etc. b) contribute to street parties and c) attend the events in the first place.

Personally speaking, if this country is going to be a republic the new model army brigade need to explain clearly what model of republic we are moving to as their are different variations.

That point made, as this thread and the others demonstrate, last time we binned off our monarch we moved to an era of joyless and bitter Puritanism………as a country we would do well to remember that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have a guess :lolol:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Nicely put, my experience of this weekend and bank holidays etc. is that it has created opportunities to meet neighbours (in a number of different jubilee inspired events) that I would never typically take the time to speak to in the ordinary course.

Most of who I spoke with were neither Che Guevaras or Ian Paisleys, just people broadly looking to take this weekend as an opportunity to enjoy themselves with their families.

No one got pissed, no one argued, no one cried, all in all it was just nice, and that’s because that was the overwhelming disposition of those that were a) prepared to share their homes etc. b) contribute to street parties and c) attend the events in the first place.

Personally speaking, if this country is going to be a republic the new model army brigade need to explain clearly what model of republic we are moving to as their are different variations.

That point made, as this thread and the others demonstrate, last time we binned off our monarch we moved to an era of joyless and bitter Puritanism………as a country we would do well to remember that.

Good post and one that chimes precisely with my experience of the 4-day weekend. Just a pleasant, convivial and relaxed atmosphere with non of the over-the-top alcohol fuelled jingoism that seems to accompany England doing well in a tournament, for example. No reports of any trouble or fights (that I’ve seen) in spite of thousands of people out enjoying themselves. It’s almost as if the decent people reclaimed the country for 72 hours. If this is a by-product of sticking with a monarch, then frankly I’m all for it.

I’ve no doubt the monarchy could do with slimming down but for me the Sovereign brings something intangible and sets a tone and National mood and identity in a way that a President never could. I fully accept that heredity monarchy isn’t for everyone but I agree with you that Republicanism sounds like another layer of dreary and perpetual political squabbling that would bring very little.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Good post and one that chimes precisely with my experience of the 4-day weekend. Just a pleasant, convivial and relaxed atmosphere with non of the over-the-top alcohol fuelled jingoism that seems to accompany England doing well in a tournament, for example. No reports of any trouble or fights (that I’ve seen) in spite of thousands of people out enjoying themselves. It’s almost as if the decent people reclaimed the country for 72 hours.

I’ve no doubt the monarchy could do with slimming down but for me the Sovereign brings something intangible and sets a tone and National mood and identity in a way that a President never could. I fully accept that heredity monarchy isn’t for everyone but I agree with you that Republicanism sounds like another layer of dreary and perpetual political squabbling that would bring very little.

If changing from a monarchy to a republic automatically means major political changes, it means the royals have too much power (which is obviously completely incompatible with democracy).

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
If changing from a monarchy to a republic automatically means major political changes, it means the royals have too much power.

No. It just means we’d have to elect the useless ****er every few years and frankly, given the grind of electing 650 MPs every 5 years, plus local elections etc, who can be arsed with that?

Imagine NSC. Then imagine only being permitted to post in the Bear Pit? That’s what life would be like. Doubtless some would love it but not for me.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No. It just means we’d have to elect the useless ****er every few years and frankly, given the grind of electing 650 MPs every 5 years, plus local elections etc, who can be arsed with that?

Imagine NSC. Then imagine only being permitted to post in the Bear Pit? That’s what life would be like. Doubtless some would love it but not for me.

Not for me either. Republicanism doesn’t do much for unity and community in America or France. I am absolutely not interested in giving another platform for the culture wars.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not for me either. Republicanism doesn’t do much for unity and community in America or France. I am absolutely not interested in giving another platform for the culture wars.

Does monarchism do a lot of unity and community in Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar and Swaziland?

Maybe monarchy vs republic is not all that matters. Would US turn into some kind of utopia if they appointed a king tomorrow?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Does monarchism do a lot of unity and community in Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar and Swaziland?

I believe those countries have more of an issue with basic human rights rather than monarchy. The two don’t have to be mutually exclusive.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I believe those countries have more of an issue with basic human rights rather than monarchy. The two don’t have to be mutually exclusive.

Well the monarchs are the rulers in those countries so if they have human rights issues, a lot of it arguably comes down to those in charge... the monarchs.

Maybe the "intangible, tone, national mood and identity" also is more of a result of having basic human rights rather than the existence of a Queen that from my understanding is supposed to have little influence on shaping your country?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Maybe monarchy vs republic is not all that matters. Would US turn into some kind of utopia if they appointed a king tomorrow?

Probably not. The point stands though. I just don’t see the point. The role is ceremonial and she does it well. We leave governance to elected politicians.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Can’t help thinking of Stevie on Miranda holding up her Heather Smalls face-mask whenever I see the thread title, and based on the number of Miranda fans on here, I very much doubt that I’m in the minority. #GoodTimes

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
So we've sold off all our warships and aircrafts but at least we've still got horses and a band..

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Proud, but sadly somewhat carefully proud these days. It feels as if Britain - or maybe England - has acquired such a state of self-loathing among some of its people that being proud of it has come to be considered uacceptable, and subject to very hurtful adverse comments.

You're wrong about the self-loathing of England. I don't personally know anyone who loathes the country - I certainly don't - but I do know many who loathe the clique running it and what they are trying to do to it. For most of us, our loathing is driven by a love of country. Boris and Britannia are NOT the same person.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Put on the pageant and found it totally uninspiring and dull. Noticed large number of empty seats so decided to flick over and watch Rafa make more history. He really is inspirational and deserves everything he gets for all the effort, hard work and talent that he possesses.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
For the record I think the Queen has been pretty amazing … The monarchy generally pah…… I’ve enjoyed getting pissed with my family and friends.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here