Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus - summer cull (merged)

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Now the season is over, I'd regretfully get rid of the following to make way for more quality

Ankergren
Painter
Sparrow
Dicker
Navarro
Harley

which, for me, means a new contract for Barnes.

Of the loanees, I'd try and re-sign Mattock, but the rest can probably go.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Noone signed a new contract/ extension, so unless someone comes in with a silly offer he's going nowhere.

The Noone thing smacks of the Bennett scenario. Bennett wants to go / bids turned down, signs a new contract, goes in the summer anyway

imbrightontillidie

Jan 12, 2011
Who we should sell

As Gus said he will axe many I reckon these need to go:

Ankergren
Gonzales
Painter
Harley
Dicker
Navarro
Hoskins - sell to Sheffield united 500k-1mill
Cms- reading come in with 3mill+
dunk- big club come in 3mill+
Noone- 1.5mill+

And I say we use that money to get a quality keeper- 2mill
Left back- possibly mattock on permanent
Cb cover
Rb
Big machine in cm
2 strikers- 1 experienced who can hold ball up and another like Cms but if we can get the right players to work with Cms then keep hold of him.

Thoughts......

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
OUT: navs, Ankergren, dicker, painter, Harley and bergkamp off the top of my head.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
As Gus said he will axe many I reckon these need to go:

Ankergren
Gonzales
Painter
Harley
Dicker
Navarro
Hoskins - sell to Sheffield united 500k-1mill
Cms- reading come in with 3mill+
dunk- big club come in 3mill+
Noone- 1.5mill+

And I say we use that money to get a quality keeper- 2mill
Left back- possibly mattock on permanent
Cb cover
Rb
Big machine in cm
2 strikers- 1 experienced who can hold ball up and another like Cms but if we can get the right players to work with Cms then keep hold of him.

Thoughts......

tbh I don't think your list is that wrong.
Although.............. Navs has had a decent second half to the seaon so I would keep him.
Plus I would like Hoskins to have a chance and wouldn't write him off just yet.

Regretablly I agree that it's likely Dunk will be off to a Premier League outfit.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
If there is a cull I think the following should go (incl. loans):
Reyes
Dicker
Ankergren
Poke
Harley
Sparrow
Painter
Bergkamp
Vokes

New deals for:
Barnes
Vicente
Navarro (1 year)
El-Abd

Keep:
Brezovan as 2nd choice
Greer
Calderon
Lua Lua
Buckley
Elphick
Hoskins
Agdestein
Hall
Forster-Caskey

Sold:
Noone to Cardiff £1.5m
Dunk to a Prem team £1.5m
Bridcutt to Norwich £2m
CMS to Reading £4m

Signed:
Keeper
Mattock + another LB
Another RB
A strong CM/DM x2
Assulin
Centre forward x2

Development squad to continue as is....

Probably forgot someone

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
To be brutally honest why should Brez stay to be an understudy ? Gus knows he wants 2 decent keepers to fight for the jersey who would be good enough to play in the Premier League.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Gus showed last night his view on the goalkeeper situation. He has given Brezovan the time and opportunity to prove he is the answer but last night he was dropped from the squad completely and Ankergren was named as back up. I think this talks volumes that Brezovan will be let go and Ankergren will stay as No 2.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think that Gus showed last night his view on the goalkeeper situation. He has given Brezovan the time and opportunity to prove he is the answer but last night he was dropped from the squad completely and Ankergren was named as back up. I think this talks volumes that Brezovan will be let go and Ankergren will stay as No 2.

I disgaree, I think Brezovan's work is done. His contract extension is probably in the bag already and the other two need to show themselves. Ankergren will get a game on saturday, hopefully, and whoever plays against Barnsley might be the guy in the box seat to keep his place at the club. Persoanlly, I don't understand why Poke isn't ever involved.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
To be brutally honest why should Brez stay to be an understudy ? Gus knows he wants 2 decent keepers to fight for the jersey who would be good enough to play in the Premier League.

If you look at the teams who have gone up lately, they have all had an undisputed #1. The second choice is hardly known. Brezovan will be a good understudy to an u disputed number 1 choice, like Schmeichel, or Westwood or Joe Lewis. Or whomever Gus decides worthy.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Why are people....well opinionated people on her so Anti Navarro

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You have obviously never seen him play for the 1st team.

The only people who have, are the few who went to Northampton.

How bad can he be? Gonzalez was pathetic last night, surely Poke, who HAS played football matches in his career, can be no worse.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The only people who have, are the few who went to Northampton.

How bad can he be? Gonzalez was pathetic last night, surely Poke, who HAS played football matches in his career, can be no worse.

I was one of those people and in that game he was absolutely awful. I believe that one of the existing will stay as possibly no 2 and I think it will depend on who is prepared to do that and also who is still under contract for next season between Ankergren and Brezovan and I think that Casper is slightly better.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
To the person above who said we will sign Assulin (not copying the massive post) - there is near no chance of that happening, no chance will City let him go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here