Gus - summer cull (merged)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Yeah, it'll free up some wages so we can get in the likes of Welbeck, DeFoe, Zamora, ................... ( please insert your completely unrealistic signing of choice here ).:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'd be seriously p**** off if Calderon goes. And anyone suggesting Tarrico should go needs their heads examining. He's employed as a coach, not a first teamer, and was only doing the right back role because everyone else was injured.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Noone we could get a decent bit of cash - Gus clearly doesn't fancy them so let them go.

If Gus 'doesn't fancy' Noone, why did he fight so hard to keep him from going to Cardiff? Surely he would have cashed in on the £1m being offered rather than giving him an extended contract.

I don't think he has been fully fit since his injury and still has something to offer.

JAWard_91

Mar 6, 2012
Why get rid of Barnes? Seriously?

He's too important to lose IMO. Also, don't understand everyone getting rid of Navarro, think he's got something to offer still.

Okay, we've been on a bad run of late, but he's been one of our standout performers in 2012.

And keep Calderon too, he's a great character round the place, and could help keep Vicente.

Lose Vokes, Painter, Ankergren, Brezovan, Hoskins, Dicker, Poke, Harley (sell him to Palace or something) and Noone if we get the same bid from Cardiff.

But football transfers or never as easy as that unfortunately. They're called agents :mad:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Keep - Brezovan (as the No 2 to our new keeper), Mattock, Greer, Dunk, El Abd, Calderon, Navarro, Barnes, Vicente, Vincelot, JFC, Adgestein, Bridcutt, LuaLua, Buckley, Hall, Kasim, Elphick, CMS, Bergkamp and Barker

Go - Assulin (we have no hope in keeping him), Jara Reyes, Vokes, Sparrow, Noone (if we receive a good offer, if not then keep), Ankergren, Harley, Dicker, Gonzalez, Painter, Poke and Hoskins

Sums up mine, kept a lot more than anyone else as we will need back-ups. People have covered the people we need to bring in.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It would be strange if a player like Navarro was moved on having played virtually the whole season in a top half team. Similarly, I believe Brezovan, Calde, Barnes all have roles to play in 2012/13.

My cull list would include: Ankergren, Painter, Taricco, Dicker, Harley, Bergkamp, Vokes, Hoskins, Noone. I can't comment on the kids, but I'm certainly looking forward to seeing Jake Forster Caskey some more next season. With Hoskins and Noone we could get a decent bit of cash - Gus clearly doesn't fancy them so let them go.

I'd like to see us sign Reyes and Mattock. Then we'll need a GK, back-up LB, CM * 2, Striker * 2.

Fair but I wouldn't keep Reyes

Last edited:

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
GP "I think we were very fair with the whole squad that won the league last year, now the other side is coming, the ugly part"

Ugly buy easy, here is my list...job done....shit, I only have 14 players left!Ha!

IN

Mattock, Greer, Dunk, El Abd, Reyes, Vicente, Vincelot, Agdestein, Lua Lua, Bridcutt, Buckley, Hall, Kasim, Forster Caskey

OUT
Ankergren, Brezovan , Elphick, Hoskins, Navarro, Barnes, Sparrow, Noone, CMS, Calderon, Harley, Dicker, Poke, Painter, Vokes, Taricco, Bergkamp, Barker, Sampayo, Rodgers

Why are you getting rid of the youth players? Taricco is the assistant manager and hasn't played particularly bad. Calderon in my opinion is better than Jara Reyes. Elphick is a good player just injured so it would be unfair to let him go. Hoskins isn't bad just hasn't been given the time.

Apart from that I'd agree with you.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I assume when people say Taricco, they simply acknowledge he will RETIRE and continue as Asst. Manager, rather than actually booting him out of the club, correct?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think Gus has to be brutal, our problem this season has been inconsistency and every player has been guilty of it.

However some have been worse than others and we have a few players who unless they are at the very top of their game they look out of their depth

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Assuming we could flog the players we don't want, these would be my lists;

Keep
Brezovan, Mattock, Greer, Elphick, Dunk, El-Abd, Barnes, Sparrow, Noone, CMS, Calderon, Vicente, Dicker, Vincelot, LuaLua, Bridcutt, Buckley

Lose
Hoskins, Navarro, Ankergren, Harley, Poke, Gonzalez, Painter, Vokes, Jara.

I don't think the squad needs massive work, we just need to re-balance it with some new players in key positions. Evolution rather than revolution. Brezovan is a sound number 2 goalkeeper, Calderon is a reasonable right back and I get the impression he adds a lot behind the scenes as well. It's a squad game, and I would rather we retained people like Sparrow and Dicker, even if we are more than likely to sign players to take their places for next season. Barnes is improving and getting in an experienced striker could be a big benefit to both him, and CMS. I don't think we're too far short of having a quality team in this league, and I think the Championship table confirms that.

thats sensible. too many people seem happy to say "ditch ..." on the basis of one game, when they've had plenty of good games before. Calderon is prime example, he's not maybe up to promotion/Prem, but is a decent cover right back. and Barnes is our top scorer and one of the most consistant players in a side competing for promotion, he really isnt going anywhere.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Sounds to me that a lot of people on here would not be happy even if we had the likes of Ronaldo, Rooney etc

Definitely not Rooney. I don't care how good he is, I don't like him. And as for Ronaldo, it depends on which one you are talking about. The Brazilian one, yes. The Portuguese one, no, I can't stand him either.

GullysGirlsPimp

Aug 24, 2011
Sussex- By-The-Sea
As long as Ryan Harley goes than i'll be happy, nobody should trust a ginger, hes been a bloody awful signing.

CMS i feel will have a better season next year, i rate him very highly just feel he needs a quality quality striker next to him, would like to see Jordan Rhodes sign from Huddersfield, would be a quality signing.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
GP "I think we were very fair with the whole squad that won the league last year, now the other side is coming, the ugly part"

Ugly buy easy, here is my list...job done....shit, I only have 14 players left!Ha!

IN

Mattock, Greer, Dunk, El Abd, Reyes, Vicente, Vincelot, Agdestein, Lua Lua, Bridcutt, Buckley, Hall, Kasim, Forster Caskey

OUT
Ankergren, Brezovan , Elphick, Hoskins, Navarro, Barnes, Sparrow, Noone, CMS, Calderon, Harley, Dicker, Poke, Painter, Vokes, Taricco, Bergkamp, Barker, Sampayo, Rodgers

You'd get rid of ALL our strikers? Bearing in mind we paid £3m for just 2 of them in the summer? By that logic we'd be looking at near to double that, just to replace them, let alone the rest of the squad. Unless you've got a real-life Football Manager cheat and know something we don't about a Saudi takeover, I'd suggest you cull your cull list. Jesus wept.

The goalkeepers, full-backs and central midfielders are who need to be worried (except Bridcutt). Centre half, on the flanks and up top we could make additions, but don't need replacements.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Sorry! I just don't think Gus will get the budget he wants. I think he will have to sell to help his budget and i cant see a wholesale clear out of players on contract for nothing. Wanting to get the squad in by the end of July has never happened yet for us and i dont see that changing as the season starts later next time. My concern is Gus might not like the budget and be tempted to leave. Filling the new seats will help!!!!!

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Assuming we could flog the players we don't want, these would be my lists;

Keep
Brezovan, Mattock, Greer, Elphick, Dunk, El-Abd, Barnes, Sparrow, Noone, CMS, Calderon, Vicente, Dicker, Vincelot, LuaLua, Bridcutt, Buckley

Lose
Hoskins, Navarro, Ankergren, Harley, Poke, Gonzalez, Painter, Vokes, Jara.

I don't think the squad needs massive work, we just need to re-balance it with some new players in key positions. Evolution rather than revolution. Brezovan is a sound number 2 goalkeeper, Calderon is a reasonable right back and I get the impression he adds a lot behind the scenes as well. It's a squad game, and I would rather we retained people like Sparrow and Dicker, even if we are more than likely to sign players to take their places for next season. Barnes is improving and getting in an experienced striker could be a big benefit to both him, and CMS. I don't think we're too far short of having a quality team in this league, and I think the Championship table confirms that.

Top post and cant add anything to that apart from only keep CMS if we play to his strengths. If not get rid and get another quality forward who we will use properly.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As long as Ryan Harley goes than i'll be happy, nobody should trust a ginger, hes been a bloody awful signing.

CMS i feel will have a better season next year, i rate him very highly just feel he needs a quality quality striker next to him, would like to see Jordan Rhodes sign from Huddersfield, would be a quality signing.

You'd waste your budget on another League 1 striker? We need someone experienced at this level, not another unknown quantity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports