Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus - summer cull (merged)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
It's better 1st team players we need, we don't need to replace most the squad like some are suggesting. We're not going to sign any great players to just be squad players who just fill in. The likes of Dicker, Brezovan, sparrow etc. can step in when need be and will be far cheaper than buying other player to just step in.

As for the likes of Barker/Sampayo/Rodgers/Kasim etc. I've no idea how good or not they are.

There's 3 ways to get a better squad
1. Buy new players - Expensive - It seems many on here see this as the only option.
2. Youth players - Cheap - This is where we should be getting excited/focussed on, these are the players of the future, some are ready (I suspect JFC/Hall/Dunk to be regulars next season) and other still need nurturing. The good ones that don't fit into our style of play we can sell if need be.
3. Get current players playing well - Cheapish - Probably done this as far as possible now with most the adult players - Gus doesn't get enough credit on here for this though, he's turned L1 players into CS players. We need CS players that he can turn into PL players. We have a fair few of these we picked up for peanuts that we can sell for good money.

IF we go up then there probably does need to be a lot of signings with 7/8 sold/released. If we stay in the CS then I think 4/5 will be released/sold then some signings (loans probably) in the January window.
We need to build a squad of quality players,so theoretically we just need to replace the inconsistent players like sparrow,navarro etc etc.No point in having a big squad with average players as that makes no sense.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Cant see Vicente or Dunk staying unfortunately. Vicente will go back to Spain and Dunk will be snapped up in the Prem. Harley, Sparrow and Painter will all go as well as Ankergren who will go back to Denmark I reckon. Realistically, can't see any of the loanees signed apart from maybe Mattock. Keep wingers, Bridcutt, Calde, strikers (maybe get rid of CMS if good money is offered and we get a better striker) but I think if Gus stays and improves the squad, we should be aiming for promotion next season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
GP "I think we were very fair with the whole squad that won the league last year, now the other side is coming, the ugly part"

Ugly buy easy, here is my list...job done....shit, I only have 14 players left!Ha!

IN

Mattock, Greer, Dunk, El Abd, Reyes, Vicente, Vincelot, Agdestein, Lua Lua, Bridcutt, Buckley, Hall, Kasim, Forster Caskey

OUT
Ankergren, Brezovan , Elphick, Hoskins, Navarro, Barnes, Sparrow, Noone, CMS, Calderon, Harley, Dicker, Poke, Painter, Vokes, Taricco, Bergkamp, Barker, Sampayo, Rodgers

The club have given Elphick a 1 year contract they are obviously looking after him which is a good thing, agree with rest apart from Tanno who Gus relys on as his assistant, would also get rid of the keeper from city and keep Assulin on loan.Tony would have to spend big time though so cannot see it happening, no disrespect meant but he aint got a money tree as my old mum would have said

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
All those out of contract should probably go ( not including Vicente who is optioned ), except Barnes who has a lot of potential given his age.

Would be good to ship out Harley as well, although that may have to be on a free / or involving paying up a part of his contract.

Central midfield needs a complete overhaul so perhaps more chances for JFC next year as well.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I have a feeling TB will say to Gus that to fund the budget he wants we will have to sell 3 players who can be replaced (Bridcutt , Dunk , Noone). Players who are still in contract but surplus to requirement will be sold (Hoskins is a dead cert) with some going on a "free" (Harley is a dead cert).

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
We need to build a squad of quality players,so theoretically we just need to replace the inconsistent players like sparrow,navarro etc etc.No point in having a big squad with average players as that makes no sense.

This,and add Dicker Barnes Greer & smith to that list the 3rd division is there level

Stumpy Tim

I think we'll sign Reyes and he'll be class next season. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in midfield too. Mattock will come too.

CMS will go, Dunk won't. We'll buy a new striker, keep Vokes, and Gus will break the bank to get that box-to-box midfielder he's desperate for.

IMO like

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I think we'll sign Reyes and he'll be class next season. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in midfield too. Mattock will come too.

CMS will go, Dunk won't. We'll buy a new striker, keep Vokes, and Gus will break the bank to get that box-to-box midfielder he's desperate for.

IMO like

imo we should only sign Mattock if he stops shaving his bollocks, or whatever it is that he does to them

happyseagull

Dec 15, 2008
Loughborough
With Taricco I just meant to retire from playing not leave his assistant role. I just looked at the squad list on the seagull site and it was all a bit tongue in cheek...in hindsight I would keep Barnes. Not knocking the players at all, a lot of guys in there have done very well and the squad has over performed. We could keep most of them but would then end up a mid table team, at the end of the day if we could lose several fringe players and get in a new keeper, a 20 goal a season striker, a couple of full backs and a top central midfielder then we could be right up there next season...just need to work out where to get that striker!

Gus needs to stop saying he wants to play the same away from home as we do at the amex then pick completely different formations when we're on our travels!

:albion2:

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
all this talk of paying out players contracts to release them etc, what happened to just making players available/transfer listed and seeing if anyone comes in for them ?

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
btw,
agree with most,
new gk, 2 fb's (including mattock), cm and a striker,
get a feeling most of it might have to be done on the cheap tho'

to go?
anngkers, painter, harley, dicker, hoskins, gonzalez, and the other loanees, ( unless gai fancies another go at it)

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Release/sell Casper, Painter, Dicker, Navaro, Noone, Harley, Sparrow, Hoskins, Poke, Barnes, Vokes, Bergkamp

Sign Mattock and ASSULIN

New GK, New RB, An athletic, strong, Razak type CM, A back up striker, A top notch Championship striker, VICENTE.

Play to CMS strengths and more tempo

Harsh but fair

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here