Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus - summer cull (merged)

happyseagull

Dec 15, 2008
Loughborough
GP "I think we were very fair with the whole squad that won the league last year, now the other side is coming, the ugly part"

Ugly buy easy, here is my list...job done....shit, I only have 14 players left!Ha!

IN

Mattock, Greer, Dunk, El Abd, Reyes, Vicente, Vincelot, Agdestein, Lua Lua, Bridcutt, Buckley, Hall, Kasim, Forster Caskey

OUT
Ankergren, Brezovan , Elphick, Hoskins, Navarro, Barnes, Sparrow, Noone, CMS, Calderon, Harley, Dicker, Poke, Painter, Vokes, Taricco, Bergkamp, Barker, Sampayo, Rodgers

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Not quite as simple as who you'd like to get rid of though is it? Entirely depends on who is out of contract. Find that list and you might have a discussion!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Elphick was given another year just 2 weeks ago which was only fair considering his awful injury.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Quicker just to do the OUT than IN for me.

OUT: Harley, Noone (if good money offer), Brez, Poke, Painter, Ankegren, One of Sparrow/Dicker.
IN: Quality GK, Quality RB, Quality CM and Quality Striker.

happyseagull

Dec 15, 2008
Loughborough
I don't think hardly any of them are out of contract? Clearly we can't get rid of all my outs, just meant thats who I think can't cut it at this level...I could probably give Barnes and CMS another go if they're lucky!

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Sounds to me that a lot of people on here would not be happy even if we had the likes of Ronaldo, Rooney etc

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
GP "I think we were very fair with the whole squad that won the league last year, now the other side is coming, the ugly part"

Ugly buy easy, here is my list...job done....shit, I only have 14 players left!Ha!

IN

Mattock, Greer, Dunk, El Abd, Reyes, Vicente, Vincelot, Agdestein, Lua Lua, Bridcutt, Buckley, Hall, Kasim, Forster Caskey

OUT
Ankergren, Brezovan , Elphick, Hoskins, Navarro, Barnes, Sparrow, Noone, CMS, Calderon, Harley, Dicker, Poke, Painter, Vokes, Taricco, Bergkamp, Barker, Sampayo, Rodgers

would agree with most of that, would keep calderon as he is good cover. Elphick wont be going anywhere yet

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
All depends who's still in contract, some of the players we have currently probably aren't worth renewing but it would be stupid to terminate the contract..

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
IN

Mattock, Greer, Dunk, El Abd, Vicente, Vincelot, Agdestein, Lua Lua, Bridcutt, Buckley, Hall, Forster Caskey, Calderon, CMS,Elphick, Barnes, Noone

OUT
Ankergren, Brezovan , Hoskins, Navarro, Sparrow, Reyes, Harley, Dicker, Poke, Painter, Vokes, Bergkamp, Barker, Sampayo, Rodgers, Kasim

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Assuming we could flog the players we don't want, these would be my lists;

Keep
Brezovan, Mattock, Greer, Elphick, Dunk, El-Abd, Barnes, Sparrow, Noone, CMS, Calderon, Vicente, Dicker, Vincelot, LuaLua, Bridcutt, Buckley

Lose
Hoskins, Navarro, Ankergren, Harley, Poke, Gonzalez, Painter, Vokes, Jara.

I don't think the squad needs massive work, we just need to re-balance it with some new players in key positions. Evolution rather than revolution. Brezovan is a sound number 2 goalkeeper, Calderon is a reasonable right back and I get the impression he adds a lot behind the scenes as well. It's a squad game, and I would rather we retained people like Sparrow and Dicker, even if we are more than likely to sign players to take their places for next season. Barnes is improving and getting in an experienced striker could be a big benefit to both him, and CMS. I don't think we're too far short of having a quality team in this league, and I think the Championship table confirms that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
All depends who's still in contract, some of the players we have currently probably aren't worth renewing but it would be stupid to terminate the contract..

Exactly. Posters get so carried away with their culls, they forget that we need a squad for the bench and to cover injuries. These are players who know the club, the set up, have trained and will fill in when needed.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Noone has just been offered/signed a new contract anyway. I'd be very surprised if he's on the cull list having just given him a new and improved deal keeping him here until 2015.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
It's better 1st team players we need, we don't need to replace most the squad like some are suggesting. We're not going to sign any great players to just be squad players who just fill in. The likes of Dicker, Brezovan, sparrow etc. can step in when need be and will be far cheaper than buying other player to just step in.

As for the likes of Barker/Sampayo/Rodgers/Kasim etc. I've no idea how good or not they are.

There's 3 ways to get a better squad
1. Buy new players - Expensive - It seems many on here see this as the only option.
2. Youth players - Cheap - This is where we should be getting excited/focussed on, these are the players of the future, some are ready (I suspect JFC/Hall/Dunk to be regulars next season) and other still need nurturing. The good ones that don't fit into our style of play we can sell if need be.
3. Get current players playing well - Cheapish - Probably done this as far as possible now with most the adult players - Gus doesn't get enough credit on here for this though, he's turned L1 players into CS players. We need CS players that he can turn into PL players. We have a fair few of these we picked up for peanuts that we can sell for good money.

IF we go up then there probably does need to be a lot of signings with 7/8 sold/released. If we stay in the CS then I think 4/5 will be released/sold then some signings (loans probably) in the January window.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Noone has just been offered/signed a new contract anyway. I'd be very surprised if he's on the cull list having just given him a new and improved deal keeping him here until 2015.

Although I agree in this case, a longer contract means the higher transfer fee we can command to interested parties. Clubs won't bid high if a few months of a contract to go as they'll wait and go for a free transfer.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Going by Gus's wording (i know some gets lost in translation,sometimes) but i think we might be surprised by who he lets go. It wouldnt surprise me if Navarro & Barnes both go, yet are 2 of his favourites.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It would be strange if a player like Navarro was moved on having played virtually the whole season in a top half team. Similarly, I believe Brezovan, Calde, Barnes all have roles to play in 2012/13.

My cull list would include: Ankergren, Painter, Taricco, Dicker, Harley, Bergkamp, Vokes, Hoskins, Noone. I can't comment on the kids, but I'm certainly looking forward to seeing Jake Forster Caskey some more next season. With Hoskins and Noone we could get a decent bit of cash - Gus clearly doesn't fancy them so let them go.

I'd like to see us sign Reyes and Mattock. Then we'll need a GK, back-up LB, CM * 2, Striker * 2.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here