Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus refuses to apologise

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Gus doesn't need to apologise or say sorry. I'm glad that he seems to know how important this fixture is to the fans - hopefully next time the players will be more aware and give an extra 10%.

I'm interested to find out what it is that he's "learned" about his team. The implication is he's about to make some big changes which, considering we'd had 3 matches in 6 days, is quite something. I fancy one or two players might be in the doghouse for a couple of months.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
If anyone punched a fan or exposed themselves on the pitch I'd expect an apology.

Losing a football match? FFS what's next? Compensation?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
No need for Gus to say sorry or make up feeble excuses , we can leave that sort of thing to Mark McGhee and Russell Slade. Fergie and Wenger have cocked up big time on occasions and never said sorry.

Aug 4, 2011
I've just watched the post match interview on seagulls player, and the inference from his reaction is that he certainly will be grilling the players. He made no excuses for the defeat and took responsibility for it. He also said he learnt more about his players from this game than any win. If Cook comes in on saturday, he plays well and we do not concede I wouldn't expect Dunk to get his place back anytime soon either. He also seemed to be harsh on Calderon too, so who knows what has gone there.

He seemed reassuringly hacked off and not happy at all, it will be interesting to see how we respond on saturday.

OK nice ! Thanks for replying! Thats good that Gus feels that way.. He's our best option by far!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
What annoyed me was, leaving Calderon out, What ever happened behind the scenes should remain behind the scenes, he should still have played last night because we missed him alot. Taking Noone of for LuaLua didn't make sense to me either.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Gus should apologize because we lost to our rivals. Its his job to make the players up for it.
Gus shouldn't apologize because its not down to him whether the players are going to take on board what he says. Long term its his job but in the dressing 5 minutes before they come out, eh can't really do much if they aren't going to listen.

His past achievements can be appreciated, and he can say sorry at the same time for the performance (not the result) in the second half... its not either or.
But every team has off days, and Gus shows he understands what and why... so a result on saturday and all is forgotten.

should he say sorry? no.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
We don't need him to say sorry at all, look where the man has got us since he became manager? I just question why he took off Noone when he was looking our best player by far last night..

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He doenst need to apologise but learn from his mistakes. Irrespective of what did or didnt go on behind the scenes Tarrico should never start another game ok to come on as a sub if needed but starting him was a wate as he knew that after 60 mins Tarrico would have to come off so he lost 1 substitute. If he didnt want to play Calderon he should have started with either Vincelot or Cook. He needs to sort out the players who just made up the numbers and contributed nothing or at the best very little.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
He's taking full responsibility for the defeat, learning from it and taking action so that new outcomes are possible. He's relating to the problems with the team's performance as within the realms of his control. That's the mark of the man.

Being or saying 'sorry' is neither here nor there. That's a way of inviting sympathy. Sorrow is not what it's going to take to get a result at Ipswich on Saturday.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
"I never say sorry. I don't say sorry to anyone. That is the easiest way to get away with a bad decision or situation. I don't like that. I say sorry when I do something I couldn't control. I was in total control, so I'm not going to say sorry to the fans or anyone."

I am increasingly in awe of Gus's brilliant, eccentric genius - surely you apologise about the things you can control, not about the things you can't?!

(not as though he should apologise of course, why the hell should he?)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am increasingly in awe of Gus's brilliant, eccentric genius - surely you apologise about the things you can control, not about the things you can't?!
Indeed, he's got that all confused.

But please Gus, never apologise. Bollox to showing weakness, he's the man in charge, it's his way or the highway, and he'll get it right. Seagulls!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I think Gus has got it spot on.

Many people conflate being sorry with being responsible. They are two different things.

For example, you can be sorry that your friend's relative has died. That doesn't mean you are saying your actions caused the friend's relative's death. When you have no control over the outcome, the most you can be is sorry (i.e. express sorrow).

However, if it's something you have control over, i.e. your actions have a say in whether an outcome goes one way or another (e.g. if you're a murderer!) being sorry (i.e. down about things) gets in the way of powerfully taking actions you can take to tackle what needs to be tackled to ensure a different outcome in the future.

Thankfully Gus relates to Albion problems in the second category. This is very different from Russell Slade's 'We trained well during the week. And then, when we kicked off, we made lots of unforced errors. I don't know what happened...' statements.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Just watched the highlights and the way no one can be arsed to a) defend, b) tackle or c) seem to give a shit about their equaliser beggars belief. It's almost as if they threw the game.
:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here