Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus favourite be next Chelsea manager (betting suspended)

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Can we just close this thread and delete it and pretend there is no prospect of this happening.

Please?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
2/1 on William Hill - maybe someone knows something.

I could see it happening if we don't get promoted - even though he hasn't achieved much as a manager, he is definitely a prospect. I could see him turning round and saying he has tried to get into PL but as it hasn't happened, he has an opportunity to manage a top club in the prem that he couldn't turn down. Yes he would get paid more and there are all the other reasons why he would go there, but I think it would be a surprise and especially for a player he has convinced to come to Brighton because of our ambition, only to bugger off before he achieves it....

You have highlighted the exact reason why he wouldn't get offered the job. Abramovich wants success near enough straight away. He won't have time for Gus getting use to the Premiership. There is zero chance of this happening in the near future. You don't go chasing Pep Guardiola and end up settling for Poyet. :lol:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Does not take much to make the bookies twitchy but can't see this happening at all. There is nothing on gus CV that suggests he is capable of managing Chelsea to the level expected and I cannot see them taking another gamble considering what happened with AVB.

If matteo was not flavour of the month then why would a less experienced gus be in the frame? Even if they did fancy another 'ex player option surely Zola would be a more suitable and popular choice.

As much as Gus would love to manage chelsea at this stage in his career this is one job out of his reach

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
if chelsea have the good sense to appoint gus - they will be back winning titles within two seasons. he has a great eye for a player and with a bottomless money pit he would put together a fantastic team

Albion Rob

Haven't read the whole thread so this may have been said but....

I like Gus and how we play and I'd rather he stayed but this isn't 2003 and we won't be scrapping about for some fallen prospect with an iffy CV who needs a fresh start (McGhee, Taylor, even Coppell) we'd be looking at decent, upwardly mobile managers - we've got the ground, the infrastructure, enough resources to pick players up in the transfer windows and 25,000+ punters coming to watch every week. Sad as it would be it wouldn't be the catastrophe of days gone by.

In fact maybe the question should be would we want Gus back once Roman pulls the trigger?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Major betting news regarding Chelsea is that a "major gamble" is taking place on Gus Poyet becoming the club's next manager.

Coral have duly suspended but BetVictor are still up with 3/1. Both firms were offering 25/1 this morning.

Sky Bet are in from 12/1 to 6/4 in the last half hour, while Stan James go 11/10 from 10/1. Former Chelsea star Poyet, currently in charge at Brighton, has duly replaced Jose Mourinho as the market leader.

Coral reported "a surge of bets online" including one of £1,000.

"When it comes to these markets there is rarely any smoke without fire and the sudden surge of bets on Poyet suggests something significant may have gone on in the Chelsea boardroom," said the firm's Simon Clare.

Current interim boss Rafael Benitez has shortened significantly in the Premier League 'sack race' market in recent days following the Blues' 2-2 FA Cup draw at League One Brentford on Sunday.

Tony Bloom?

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Why do they hate him ?

After Tottenham beat Chelsea (or perhaps Gus scored a goal) he ran in front of the Chelsea fans kissing the Tottenham badge on his shirt. Apparently he also left Chelsea in circumstances which aren't too good (not sure about those though) in short, he will be universally hated at Chelsea so I have no idea why he touts himself for the job.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Q: If Gus goes to Chelsea , we get £5M compensation to tear up his contract and he gets sacked after 6 months will he be offered his old job back ?

I've said this before. Loan him to them, so that when The Russian gets pissed off eight months down the line and fires him, we'll have him back. :albion2:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
After Tottenham beat Chelsea (or perhaps Gus scored a goal) he ran in front of the Chelsea fans kissing the Tottenham badge on his shirt. Apparently he also left Chelsea in circumstances which aren't too good (not sure about those though) in short, he will be universally hated at Chelsea so I have no idea why he touts himself for the job.

He has always denied it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here