Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus favourite be next Chelsea manager (betting suspended)

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
His self-touting might be paying off - Coral have suspended betting after a major flurry of bets this afternoon

Might be nothing though

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nah.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
May as well place on gardening leave then and get a manager in with enough time to prepare for next season.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
It doesn't surprise me, Gus is getting a lot of recognition for what he's doing with us.

But...Would he take it?

From a career point of view, it would be an awful decision. We all know that, but does Gus? I'm sure he does.

I think it boils down whether, if he got offered the job, he considers the opportunity with his head or his heart. He would most probably be there for just a season, all of his hard work here over 4 years will have been in vain.

Are you an idiot?

You would turn down a job offering you 10x your current salary?

OK.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Re: Gus favourite to take Chelsea job in summer (betting suspended)

It doesn't surprise me, Gus is getting a lot of recognition for what he's doing with us.

But...Would he take it?

From a career point of view, it would be an awful decision. We all know that, but does Gus? I'm sure he does.

I think it boils down whether, if he got offered the job, he considers the opportunity with his head or his heart. He would most probably be there for just a season, all of his hard work here over 4 years will have been in vain.

If he was offered it he wouldn't even clear out his desk he'd be gone so quick. Can't see it happening myself, but if it did gus has made no secret of his desire to manage chelsea.

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Just realised - I said 'in the summer' in the topic title but there's nothing to say that, if true, Roman would wait that long

Anyway, of course he'd take it. A club that he loves, that is aiming to win major trophies and with money to buy who he wants? He's crawl over broken glass all the way up the M23 for that

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
There's more important things in life than money buddy - and it's not as if Gus is hard up anyway.

Strange, almost idiotic, argument that.

Right.

Well you are possibly the ONLY person in the world who would turn down a job 10x current salary for a team you SUPPORT.

Fair play.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Never mind the summer, Benitez is under big pressure now. Couple more poor results and he could be gone.

Whether they would go for Gus is another matter.

PG

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Major betting news regarding Chelsea is that a "major gamble" is taking place on Gus Poyet becoming the club's next manager.

Coral have duly suspended but BetVictor are still up with 3/1. Both firms were offering 25/1 this morning.

Sky Bet are in from 12/1 to 6/4 in the last half hour, while Stan James go 11/10 from 10/1. Former Chelsea star Poyet, currently in charge at Brighton, has duly replaced Jose Mourinho as the market leader.

Coral reported "a surge of bets online" including one of £1,000.

"When it comes to these markets there is rarely any smoke without fire and the sudden surge of bets on Poyet suggests something significant may have gone on in the Chelsea boardroom," said the firm's Simon Clare.

Current interim boss Rafael Benitez has shortened significantly in the Premier League 'sack race' market in recent days following the Blues' 2-2 FA Cup draw at League One Brentford on Sunday.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No a hope in hell that he'd stay here if he was offered the job.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Apart from winning the League One title with us two years ago, what has Gus actually achieved as a manager?

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy (not in a gay way, of course), but so far, apart from the League One title, he's made us an attractive top-half-of-the-table Championship team with a chance of getting into the play-offs. He, and we, have loads of potential for a bright future, but we're not there yet; we, and Gus, are exciting works-in-progress.

So the idea that he would go straight from us to Chelsea in a few months time is, I believe, complete and utter bollox. He'll need to achieve rather more than a League One title to persuade the likes of Chelsea (or Arsenal) that he could sucessfully manage them.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Well let him go then, we'll move on and he'll be sacked by Christmas or 'go home' because the Chelsea fans get in his back because he hasn't won in 3 games...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here