Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus favourite be next Chelsea manager (betting suspended)

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Major betting news regarding Chelsea is that a "major gamble" is taking place on Gus Poyet becoming the club's next manager.

Coral have duly suspended but BetVictor are still up with 3/1. Both firms were offering 25/1 this morning.

Sky Bet are in from 12/1 to 6/4 in the last half hour, while Stan James go 11/10 from 10/1. Former Chelsea star Poyet, currently in charge at Brighton, has duly replaced Jose Mourinho as the market leader.

Coral reported "a surge of bets online" including one of £1,000.

"When it comes to these markets there is rarely any smoke without fire and the sudden surge of bets on Poyet suggests something significant may have gone on in the Chelsea boardroom," said the firm's Simon Clare.

Current interim boss Rafael Benitez has shortened significantly in the Premier League 'sack race' market in recent days following the Blues' 2-2 FA Cup draw at League One Brentford on Sunday.

Not always the case. These markets are very volatile and often end up being heresay.

Chelsea is a coffin job for managers. That is the reason Gus would be mad to take it imo. Any other top 10 prem job he would be unwise to turn down.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Are you an idiot?

To answer your question, yes he is.... MK seems to have cornered the market in unsubstantiated gibberish, his postings make the top of the 'talking for the sake of talking' chart, and he has been there for some time.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
If Chelsea drop points tonight away at Reading we might get a better idea of how much life there is to this story

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Sound like he would be as popular a choice as Benitez. A selection from Twitter....

Poyet can f*** off the judas c*nt. He's wanted as much as Benitez

Poyet as our next manager, that's right Roman lets get a Yid in. #BeWrongBookies

Have I woken up in some f***ed up nightmare? Benitez or poyet? What the f*** #wefuckinghatepoyet #fatspanishwanker

Poyet celebrating like he had won the Champions League while walking off the pitch after Tottenham won 5-1 #FuckOffPoyet

Redbourn Seagull

Jan 20, 2010
Lets face it, mangers who leave Brighton tend not to do very well at another club for a sustained period, hopefully he will try and finish what he has started at the Club for a few more years yet and keep learning his trade as this will stand him in good steed. Apart from Clough (he was only with us for a short while), I cant think of any managers that cracked it at a higher level and succeeded, in fact most of them are in a worse position!#

Ps Wasn't he good mates with Di Mateo, I doubt DM will say to many positive things about the job with the current regime they have!

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There's more important things in life than money buddy - and it's not as if Gus is hard up anyway.

Strange, almost idiotic, argument that.

I do believe you live on a different planet!

Just realised - I said 'in the summer' in the topic title but there's nothing to say that, if true, Roman would wait that long

Anyway, of course he'd take it. A club that he loves, that is aiming to win major trophies and with money to buy who he wants? He's crawl over broken glass all the way up the M23 for that

Would he have to crawl up the M23? Dosen't he still live up that way?

scooter1

How soon is now?
He doesn't have enough experience at the right level yet. It will royally f*** up his career to go there this early and fail, and judging by the managers that have been hired and fired by Chelsea, its unlikely he'll get the time he needs to do things his way

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
May as well place on gardening leave then and get a manager in with enough time to prepare for next season.

So you know he's definitely going then?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If Poyet did go, we'd get enough compo to buy Dick van Dyke

I remember betting being suspended on the sack race a couple of years ago when it was rumoured that 'arry was leaving Spurs imminently - that turned out to be bollocks.

I would be surprised if Chelsea went for another young unproven manager (this time one without any top league/European experience) but who knows what goes on in RA's brain?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
To answer your question, yes he is.... MK seems to have cornered the market in unsubstantiated gibberish, his postings make the top of the 'talking for the sake of talking' chart, and he has been there for some time.

Well I did notice he made himself look like a right CLOWN on the £8M losses thread.

Has he changed his username, never noticed MK before :moo:

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Lets face it, mangers who leave Brighton tend not to do very well at another club for a sustained period, hopefully he will try and finish what he has started at the Club for a few more years yet and keep learning his trade as this will stand him in good steed. Apart from Clough (he was only with us for a short while), I cant think of any managers that cracked it at a higher level and succeeded, in fact most of them are in a worse position!#

Ps Wasn't he good mates with Di Mateo, I doubt DM will say to many positive things about the job with the current regime they have!

Coppell at Reading?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Didn't Gus say:

"The most important relationship at a club is that between the manager and the chairman."

Though if money couldn't overcome that Chelsea would never have a manager.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He doesn't have enough experience at the right level yet. It will royally f*** up his career to go there this early and fail, and judging by the managers that have been hired and fired by Chelsea, its unlikely he'll get the time he needs to do things his way

It wouldn't harm his career in the slightest if he "failed" at Chelsea. Nobody gets any time to do anything there, the owner hires and fires on a whim and on a run of form. Gus is already rich, but a payoff from Chelsea would make him absolutely minted, and with precious little damage to his reputation.

Do well at a high-profile club he loves and he's in dreamland. If Roman bins him after a season or less, then he gets a maHOOsive payoff, and the perception is "well, he was hardly given a chance was he...". Its the uiltimate WIN / WIN. Leaving the project at the Albion unfinished would doubtless be a wrench, but the riches, glamour and glory at one of the biggest clubs in the country would be impossible for him to turn down IMO.

No brainer.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If Gus did go, we'd still be able to attract a very decent replacement now. But what's more worrying is whether our Spanish-speaking contingent (including Ulloa) would still be happy under a new boss. If I was Ulloa, I'd be well hacked off if GP departed now.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I'm confident if GP left right now then TB would get the right man who with the players we have could get top 6 .
Gp is good but he isn't that irreplaceable by any means

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here