Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter tells Brighton fans: Stop shouting 'shoot'... it's putting off our players

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That the recruitment hasn't been particularly great in terms of men's first team, particularly when it comes to players who don't seem capable of finishing a salad never mind a chance.

But it's not down to GP in any way despite the presence of his man in a senior capacity and in terms of choosing the tactics for these players or the drills they do. No. It's the fans' fault :facepalm:

Ok, why point out Macauley though? Gordon Greer is another one working with recruitment, why not blame him or Adrian Whale or someone else who works with recruitment? (if you necessarily need to find a scapegoat, which you obviously do as it is part of your personality).

You are right though that its not down to GP (or any other individual). Its not even the fans fault even though it is fairly easy to understand why players seem quite eager to leave with people like you in the stands.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
After being a season ticket holder since 1986 (apart from when Archer and Bellotti were in residence, not giving them my money up front!) we have decided to to call it a day next season.

The home form has been terrible and it really isn't much fun once you have made it through the lack of parking or no trains running. To have only one credible consistent option as a centre forward in our 5th season in prem is a joke. Welbeck doesn't really count as he is either injured, or trying to get match fit. We had a better front line when we were promoted.

I'm fed up reading about some club in Belgium or the multitude of players we have out on loan.

Rant over :)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That the recruitment hasn't been particularly great in terms of men's first team, particularly when it comes to players who don't seem capable of finishing a salad never mind a chance.

But it's not down to GP in any way despite the presence of his man in a senior capacity and in terms of choosing the tactics for these players or the drills they do. No. It's the fans' fault :facepalm:

:facepalm:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
After being a season ticket holder since 1986 (apart from when Archer and Bellotti were in residence, not giving them my money up front!) we have decided to to call it a day next season.

The home form has been terrible and it really isn't much fun once you have made it through the lack of parking or no trains running. To have only one credible consistent option as a centre forward in our 5th season in prem is a joke. Welbeck doesn't really count as he is either injured, or trying to get match fit. We had a better front line when were promoted.

I'm fed up reading about some club in Belgium or the multitude of players we have out on loan.

Rant over :)

Bye

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ok, why point out Macauley though? Gordon Greer is another one working with recruitment, why not blame him or Adrian Whale or someone else who works with recruitment? (if you necessarily need to find a scapegoat, which you obviously do as it is part of your personality).

You are right though that its not down to GP (or any other individual). Its not even the fans fault even though it is fairly easy to understand why players seem quite eager to leave with people like you in the stands.

Because I was replying to HWT who had replied that the need to "get some players" was hitting the nail on the head. In other words, not the fault of the coaching. Yet there is a direct link between the coaching and recruitment called Kyle and he isn't just one of about 100 button pressers like you made out.

In fact, you didn't have to stick your nose into that side conversation at all, so I wonder why you did if you didn't understand the point I was making?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well, exactly. Our very best starting XI might be able to play like Man City one game in four. But when you're down to Duffy, March and Gross.......

Typical of [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] to pick four really shit teams as well. I'd settle for playing more like Villa, West Ham or Leicester, the teams we should be challenging if that "regular top ten" bollocks stands a chance of happening.

Yeah, because our players are of the same quality as those teams you mention. Your bitterness knows no bounds does it? You then feel comfortable slagging of [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] at every opportunity whilst spouting more bollocks than you are suggesting he spouts :lolol:

You GENUINELY believe we can play like Villa, WHU and Leicester with the players we have? Well feck me :shrug:

I think I can put you down as possibly the most entitled fan on NSC now

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yeah, because our players are of the same quality as those teams you mention. Your bitterness knows no bounds does it?

You GENUINELY believe we can play like Villa, WHU and Leicester with the players we have? Well feck me :shrug:

I think I can put you down as possibly the most entitled fan on NSC now

Again, we genuinely CAN'T play like Man City even more for the same reason. Who do you suggest we play like?

Or maybe we stretch the recruitment net a touch wider so we have different types of players, add finishing ability into the algorithm and, before the game think "Ah, this week it's (random not Top Six side). They like to sit back but have Mr Speedy Striker up top and we've got Duffy. Maybe we'll let them have it at the back and press them. Lucky we now got Mr Speedy Striker ourselves too, so now if they give us the wings we can attack directly down the middle at pace".

I know, the coach of the year award is nailed on and I expect TB's phone call is only hours away.

But, genuinely, read what you've written. If we cannot emulate our nearest competitors why on earth are we trying (and failing) to play Top Six football?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Its not his quote though, it is a quote from whoever writes the headlines at The Telegraph.

I am aware the headline is an exaggeration. I wrote as much in the fourth post in this thread.

Even so, Potter invited it by mentioning fans - again - in his post-match interview.

He said the crowd shouting "shoot, shoot, shoot" is "sometimes is a challenge for the players".

I would suggest that his players not shooting - or, you know, scoring - is a serious f**king challenge for paying supporters, and that he shouldn't blame fans in any way, shape or form for his team's deficiencies.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Media quote sensationalised and taken out of context, shock.

GP skirting around being critical of fans does not sit well however, what gives him the right. Maybe focus on trying to improve our inept attack rather than reeling off more tired platitudes about positives he will take from the game.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I am aware the headline is an exaggeration. I wrote as much in the fourth post in this thread.

Even so, Potter invited it by mentioning fans - again - in his post-match interview.

He said the crowd shouting "shoot, shoot, shoot" is "sometimes is a challenge for the players".

I would suggest that his players not shooting - or, you know, scoring - is a serious f**king challenge for paying supporters, and that he shouldn't blame fans in any way, shape or form for his team's deficiencies.

I’d suggest he wasn’t ‘blaming’ fans ..but that wouldn’t fit in with the desire to have a go yet again at GP

Your post 4 is nailed on…clickbait headline

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
GP is perhaps displaying a bit of naïvety here about how the press works. He must have known what the likely focus/headline would be as soon as he even mentioned the crowd shouting 'shoot' as not being helpful. Given it is a trait that The Amex crowd share with 99.99% of other home crowds, it seems an incredibly bizarre thing to even mention in an interview. It also surely, by its nature, calls into question the mental toughness of our squad to suggest that as top-level professionals they would base their decision making on shouts from the crowd?

Is GP similarly worried that if we all started shouting 'kick it out' that the players would succumb to hoofing it out of play all the time?

Last edited:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Media quote sensationalised and taken out of context, shock.

GP skirting around being critical of fans does not sit well however, what gives him the right. Maybe focus on trying to improve our inept attack rather than the tired platitudes.

So... it's a sensationalised quote taken out of context which has got you riled up?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
GP is perhaps displaying a bit of naïvety here about how the press works.

I doubt he gives two hoots that the usual suspects on NSC or social media have inevitably chosen to taken offence because he's mentioned the rather mundane point that the crowd shout "shoot" at players - they do. So what .
One imagines he's probably got other things to worry about.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Again, we genuinely CAN'T play like Man City even more for the same reason. Who do you suggest we play like?
/QUOTE]

Like we have played for most of the season before we hit this shit run, but then I don’t expect top six or even top ten football and I am not going to whinge and moan that what TB says he wants for us isn’t happening. I don’t recall any guarantees or time limits put on his and Barber’s aims

We are Brighton, we have always been more often shit than great and probably will be for a while longer, if not forever.

I am serving my life sentence with a realistic outlook whilst being seriously pissed off with our current run. I don’t want us to throw the baby out with the bathwater because of it though. As the old saying goes “be careful what you wish for”

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Because I was replying to HWT who had replied that the need to "get some players" was hitting the nail on the head. In other words, not the fault of the coaching. Yet there is a direct link between the coaching and recruitment called Kyle and he isn't just one of about 100 button pressers like you made out.

In fact, you didn't have to stick your nose into that side conversation at all, so I wonder why you did if you didn't understand the point I was making?

As every single metric in the football world shows, signing good players is the way to go if you want rapid improvement in results. Unfortunately it is also difficult and expensive.

There are probably multiple links between coaching, recruitment and the board in Brighton, with Kyle being one of many. I can definitely imagine that some people, including you, have experience from work places where people would do everything in their power to avoid any communication with self-opinionated muppets working in middle management etc. but I doubt this is the case in Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here