[Albion] Graham Potter tells Brighton fans: Stop shouting 'shoot'... it's putting off our players

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I doubt he gives two hoots that the usual suspects on NSC or social media have inevitably chosen to taken offence because he's mentioned the rather mundane point that the crowd shout "shoot" at players - they do. So what .
One imagines he's probably got other things to worry about.

The point is that it is an incredibly bizarre thing to even mention as being an issue when every single home crowd does the same thing. Don't think I've ever heard/seen another manager calling it out as a problem before.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Again, we genuinely CAN'T play like Man City even more for the same reason. Who do you suggest we play like?
/QUOTE]

Like we have played for most of the season before we hit this shit run, but then I don’t expect top six or even top ten football and I am not going to whinge and moan that what TB says he wants for us isn’t happening. I don’t recall any guarantees or time limits put on his and Barber’s aims

We are Brighton, we have always been more often shit than great and probably will be for a while longer, if not forever.

I am serving my life sentence with a realistic outlook whilst being seriously pissed off with our current run. I don’t want us to throw the baby out with the bathwater because of it though. As the old saying goes “be careful what you wish for”

:thumbsup:

Although it would appear sine have spat their dummy out

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I’d suggest he wasn’t ‘blaming’ fans ..but that wouldn’t fit in with the desire to have a go yet again at GP

Your post 4 is nailed on…clickbait headline

Yes, the headline is an exaggeration. Let's move on from that.

I'm saying his actual quote mentioning fans was unnecessary.

You say he's not 'blaming' supporters, but he's implying that fans are influencing players' decision-making - and I'm fairly sure he doesn't mean positively!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes, the headline is an exaggeration. Let's move on from that.

I'm saying his actual quote mentioning fans was unnecessary.

You say he's not 'blaming' supporters, but he's implying that fans are influencing player's decision-making - and I'm fairly sure he doesn't mean positively!

….and I’m sure he isn’t having a go at the fans…but one little bit is getting the attention ..oh and this hasn’t been mentioned…from the article “Potter praised the fans”

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
It's shame these threads deteriorate. Below are the words that seem to be creating some division, albeit I the divisiveness is far more about pre-set agendas. Any interpretation of these words that he is blaming fans for anything looks far-fetched to me. My interpretation is he suggests that the longer a move goes, (in the context of 30 shots,4 on target as was the Question asked) the more anxious the crowd gets and the more anxious players might get. Seems reasonable? I can't read anywhere that he's telling the players to take one more pass, rather that the decision making around shooting or passing is something the players are battling with - shooting, being blocked and then caught too far up the field, making a better opportunity with one more pass is OK, if you make the pass but if not, then it looks as though you should have taken the shot.. all things that seem reasonable. At worst I think he suggests the players are lacking in confidence affecting that decision making. In that context, low confidence, lots of people shouting shoot, makes that decision making a little harder. No ask of the Fans to do it less, stop doing it, or otherwise - just that the players need to deal with that.

Potter praised the fans then, later asked by Telegraph Sport about Brighton having 30 shots on goal but only four on target, he replied: “The build-up suggests we’re getting there. Of course, the longer you go, you can hear the crowd, ‘shoot, shoot, shoot’, you know, and that sometimes is a challenge for the players.

“Because sometimes there’s an opportunity to shoot - sometimes it’s a chance for the block and then the transition. And sometimes maybe one more pass gets you in a better position but, if you miss the pass, you should have shot.

“It’s just one of those things that we’re going through. A bit of pain and a bit of suffering.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Good grief. So it’s the crowd’s fault that our players shoot like Sunday league players ! I’ve been watching for 46 years and fans have always shouted ‘shoot.’ If that’s his opinion then he is entitled to it of course, but it’s a bit precious.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
….and I’m sure he isn’t having a go at the fans…but one little bit is getting the attention ..oh and this hasn’t been mentioned…from the article “Potter praised the fans”

That's what managers are supposed to do. That's why it doesn't make headlines.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
But it is isn't... he really hasn't said that.

He said that the shouts of ‘shoot’ present a challenge. Implicitly that means fans are creating a problem That’s because nobody would want more of a challenge placed on players. So he did say that. As I say, he is entitled to his opinion. Bit of a wet lettuce though (and I am fully supportive of the job he is doing !).

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Just a timely reminder that Potter did NOT say this…

…but hey, get worked up into a lather if it suits your viewpoint!

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
He said that the shouts of ‘shoot’ present a challenge. Implicitly that means fans are creating a problem That’s because nobody would want more of a challenge placed on players. So he did say that. As I say, he is entitled to his opinion. Bit of a wet lettuce though (and I am fully supportive of the job he is doing !).
it explicity means that, but only in the context that the players are short on confidence. He implicitly says, in my view, that the players need to deal with that - smething they are going through.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
He hasn't attacked anyone. Try reading the article.

OK, not attacked, but still decided to bring us up when there is no need to do so. And giving him the benefit of the doubt is hard when this is hardly the first time he's called out the fans. Unless he genuinely wanted a history lesson or thought we were too entitled because we wanted to beat the team bottom of the league?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports