Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter tells Brighton fans: Stop shouting 'shoot'... it's putting off our players

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
righty ho... anyway, even if that's true, you agree that he hasn't said what some on here seem to be getting upset about?

There is absolutely no need for him to say what he did though. No need at all.

It happens at every ground at almost every game. It's as irrelevant as singing "the referees a :wanker: " when he's got the decision correct or "Going down Old Shoreham Road" when we now play at the Amex. One of the first things a professional player should have in his head is that his decision making is WAY better than a drunk bloke 80 yards away, even if that player is Solly March.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
. And giving him the benefit of the doubt is hard when this is hardly the first time he's called out the fans. ?

He calls out fans all the time. Here's twice on Saturday for example.
"We know that we have your backing until the final ball is kicked. We as a group appreciate the support you've continued to give us, both home and away"

“I thought the reaction of the supporters (to Maupay being subbed) was fantastic, really good, and a huge thank you to them for that."

and here's some more examples of him disappointed with the fans.

potter.jpg

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why shouldn’t he say it….sounds very ‘normal’

If Swansman is to be believed, because it's completely meaningless. He might as well note whether or not he likes tomatoes in his ham sandwich or if he thinks it makes the bread soggy.

If he thinks the fans shouting shoot is impacting the players and their ability to do their jobs, or their ability to pick the right moments to shoot or pass, he should say it. But if that is what he believes, don't you think it's something he would prefer the fans didn't do? And if he is bringing it up and highlighting how it is impacting the players negatively, there is an implication that he would prefer fans didn't do it?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
"We know that we have your backing until the final ball is kicked. We as a group appreciate the support you've continued to give us, both home and away"

“I thought the reaction of the supporters (to Maupay being subbed) was fantastic, really good, and a huge thank you to them for that."

View attachment 146625

Honestly, isn't this what he's supposed to do?

We're literally paying to support him doing his work!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
OK, not attacked, but still decided to bring us up when there is no need to do so.

Could maybe agree with you on that one. The players doesnt seem to feel there is any reason whatsoever to talk about you, so maybe Graham shouldnt either.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If Swansman is to be believed, because it's completely meaningless. He might as well note whether or not he likes tomatoes in his ham sandwich or if he thinks it makes the bread soggy.

If he thinks the fans shouting shoot is impacting the players and their ability to do their jobs, or their ability to pick the right moments to shoot or pass, he should say it. But if that is what he believes, don't you think it's something he would prefer the fans didn't do? And if he is bringing it up and highlighting how it is impacting the players negatively, there is an implication that he would prefer fans didn't do it?

My final word on this thread, as a fan ..is one bit picked out of an article ..makes sense to me ..I don’t feel offended ..full stop.
Have a lovely day.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Seventeen pages (and counting) on a headline that twists something Graham Potter said to make it sound far worse than the actual quote. We have a lot of precious fans.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
"Comprehensively failed" ???

We must be working to different definitions of comprehensive failure, or perhaps you have different expectations.

We have comprehensively failed to win the league. We have comprehensively failed to qualify for the champions league (though our flirtation at the start of the season was fun). We have comprehensively failed to win a cup.

By the same token, I have comprehensively failed to get into Natalie Portman's pants, but I'm not going to give myself a hard time for that.

Sad as it is, the first and most important aim is to not get relegated. Our success there is plain to see (so far).

In my opinion, the "Man City build up with Brighton players approach" is an important aspect of the overall strategy - to deliberately develop players that will be attractive to the elite clubs and therefore give maximum sell-on value. There's less point in developing players to suit the style of a mid-table club as they don't have the champions league millions to spend, AND talented young players will prioritise coming to us because they see a pathway to where they ultimately want to be (Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U). If you're a player that needs a premier league 'finishing school' as a shop window for their next transfer to a champions league club, would you choose to go to a club that plays a style similar to the club you want to go to next, or with a style that's more direct?

In the meantime, we slowly develop our squad through coaching and reinvesting, building up a squad (of talented, passing footballers - used to a 'Man Cty style build-up') that starts to compete for mid-table spots, then top 10 and (if the model works as planned) then maybe push on to the top 6 in the (very) long term.

If we stay in the division long enough, one of the striker 'punts' will come off and we'll be flying, but won't ever have bet the farm on one risky push to break into the top 10.

There's no guarantee it'll be a speedy process and there will be ups and downs rather than a smooth upwards trajectory, but I think it's a pretty good strategy to bring about sustainable improvement to the club's league position and finances.

I agree with that, but it's just not what I call enjoyable entertainment

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Meh. Way to make a story out of a minor point.

He doesn't criticise people shouting shoot. It's clear he understands why that happens. He is just explaining how the players are encouraged to create the best possible chance to score rather than shooting (from what the player feels is a worse position) for the sake of keeping people happy. If anything it's clear he is acknowledging the frustration of fans but he's trying to explain why the players are not just shooting for the sake of it.

However, football fans are precious so let's all get upset about it.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
We did shoot on Saturday, 31 times in fact, yet we didn’t score !!
Isn’t Potter saying that if we perhaps had one more pass then we could have been in a better position to score or at least hit the target ?
Makes sense to me or am I missing something?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

View attachment 146625

Wow. The bare minimum. Congratulations to him. Still doesn't excuse him going after us on occasion though.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In the words of Will Smith he should keep the fans ******* name out of his ******* mouth, unless it's praise.

Probably difficult sometimes.

I can imagine Tony Bloom occasionally feeling that after spending £500m on making you lot happy, "Brighton" and "Premier League" shouldnt be said in the same sentence unless you're showing support or praising what the club has achieved.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
In the words of Will Smith he should keep the fans ******* name out of his ******* mouth, unless it's praise.

It’s already really boring how many scenarios people are using this for. Please don’t add to! :)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Maybe Potter needs to adopt the Gerrard approach to players.

Gerrard came out after their loss on Saturday and said it's down to the players to show they match the clubs ambition and if they can't, he'll go out and spend in the summer and if they can they'll be part of the journey. Maybe some tough love from Potter is needed - which he has done in other ways before

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Probably difficult sometimes.

I can imagine Tony Bloom occasionally feeling that after spending £500m on making you lot happy, "Brighton" and "Premier League" shouldnt be said in the same sentence unless you're showing support or praising what the club has achieved.
This seems to be your favourite line how much money Tony Bloom has spent, rich guys buy football clubs it’s hardly a phenomenon.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Maybe Potter needs to adopt the Gerrard approach to players.

Gerrard came out after their loss on Saturday and said it's down to the players to show they match the clubs ambition and if they can't, he'll go out and spend in the summer and if they can they'll be part of the journey. Maybe some tough love from Potter is needed - which he has done in other ways before

I would imagine what goes on behind the scenes is somewhat different to what is said on camera. Gerrard (and Lampard) choosing to dig their players out on tv will not do any good and is more likely to lead to them losing their jobs in the long run.

Oh and just for good measured Potter didn’t call out the fans or anything like it, usual suspects getting all angsty about nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here