[Albion] Graham Potter tells Brighton fans: Stop shouting 'shoot'... it's putting off our players

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Are you? Or just got a one track view?

Look up our player's scoring records and in what leagues to see if they've 'regressed'.

As a team we've regressed.

26 in 30 games this season at 0.866 a game

40 in 38 last season at 1.05 a game.

1 goal in the last 7 matches. Shall I work out the ratio for you? :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No.

WE would score more goals if we attacked more directly and effectively.

We would unquestionably score more goals if we attacked more effectively, because that's a tautology (unless you class an effective attack as one that results in a shot off target or a block challenge, which wouldn't make sense because we wouldn't score more goals if we did that, would we).

I'm not sure about the attacking directly bit. What did you have in mind? Long hoofs onto the towering head of Maupay? Or more shots from outside the box by Ali Mac and Tross? I saw a few of those against Norwich. :shrug:

I have a theory. We are where we deserve to be, over a season, with the squad we've got. We massively over-performed early on, and now we are underperforming. Balance is restored. As others have said the only way to average better over a season is to have better players.

Whether we buy better players is up to the owner and his plan. Maybe we will splash in the summer (on big salaries, not just big transfer fees, and the big change would be to accomodate a couple of new players earning twice what the current highest earner trousers - a step away from the 'all in it together' model).

As an aside, I can list 100 more annoying and 100 more clueless posters who lead a life reletively untroubled by the rest of us. I am not sure why you keep sticking the boot into Swanny. Apologies if there is 'stuff' going on we plebs know nothing about, of course :thumbsup:

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
“Because sometimes there’s an opportunity to shoot - sometimes it’s a chance for the block and then the transition. And sometimes maybe one more pass gets you in a better position but, if you miss the pass, you should have shot.

Is that really his attacking philosophy? Don't shoot because it might get blocked and there might be a better chance if you pass it one more time.

Ok, so Maupay has the ball on the edge of the box, but he's under instruction not to shoot because another pass might be a better position, so he plays it on to Trossard. But he's not allowed to shoot because one more pass might make better position. So he plays it off to Welbeck. Well his pass goes to Cucurella. To March. To Cucurella. To Welbeck, to Trossard. To March.....to MacAlister...to Lamptey...to Gross...to Dunk...to Gross...to Dunk...to Veltmann...to Sanchez.

Everyone had a touch?

And breathe.

To Dunk...to Veltmann..to Gross.....to Dunk...to Gross...to Dunk...to Lamptey..to Trossard........

Completed for you.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As a team we've regressed.

26 in 30 games this season at 0.866 a game

40 in 38 last season at 1.05 a game.

1 goal in the last 7 matches. Shall I work out the ratio for you? :lolol:

If this is meaningful I don't see why you think it's funny.

I am very confused by the narrative on this thread. It seems there is some sort of plot being hatched that half of us appear to be too clueless to understand. I class myself in the clueless half.

I'd better spend some time today boning up with the Ladybird Book of Football.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
We would unquestionably score more goals if we attacked more effectively, because that's a tautology (unless you class an effective attack as one that results in a shot off target or a block challenge, which wouldn't make sense because we wouldn't score more goals if we did that, would we).

I'm not sure about the attacking directly bit. What did you have in mind? Long hoofs onto the towering head of Maupay? Or more shots from outside the box by Ali Mac and Tross? I saw a few of those against Norwich. :shrug:

I have a theory. We are where we deserve to be, over a season, with the squad we've got. We massively over-performed early on, and now we are underperforming. Balance is restored. As others have said the only way to average better over a season is to have better players.

Whether we buy better players is up to the owner and his plan. Maybe we will splash in the summer (on big salaries, not just big transfer fees, and the big change would be to accomodate a couple of new players earning twice what the current highest earner trousers - a step away from the 'all in it together' model).

As an aside, I can list 100 more annoying and 100 more clueless posters who lead a life reletively untroubled by the rest of us. I am not sure why you keep sticking the boot into Swanny. Apologies if there is 'stuff' going on we plebs know nothing about, of course :thumbsup:

Direct doesn't mean long or hoof. It means forwards. Vicente was the most direct player we've ever had and also the most beautiful to watch.

Get some players with pace and power and encourage them to transition quickly instead of turn full circle and play it back to Dunk.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Direct doesn't mean long or hoof. It means forwards. Vicente was the most direct player we've ever had and also the most beautiful to watch.

Get some players with pace and power and encourage them to transition quickly instead of turn full circle and play it back to Dunk.

Nail. Head.

:goal:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm sorry, but if you're saying we can't get our own version of Bowen / Benrahma then we might as well give up, settle for 16th for a couple of seasons and reset with the inevitable relegation.

The players we certainly won't be getting are Salah / Grealish / Kane / Mane / KDB.

I'm saying we should/could get our own version of those players, but they are tricky to find and you hope they step up. I mean Jarrod Bowen was 3 season racking up goals and assists with Hull before a PL team took a punt on what looks like an utterly ridiculous bargain fee of £18m or whatever it was in only 2020. The same we supposedly paid for Jahanbakhsh! Benrahma was a loan deal before West Ham stumped up the £25m. That's 13 goals for WHU right there and neither actually play up front, with an outlay of £43m - less than what we received for White.

There are a few teams who seem to hunt out the value in the Championship with players with a grounding in the English game, whereas we seem to be slightly obsessed with finding talent in Europe. Which is fine and you will find a gem here and there, but these players are untested in England. It always makes it a bit more of a risk.

I think we have done reasonably well in the transfer market, but you look at Bissouma, Mac Allister, Moder, Mwepu, even Trossard, they weren't banging them in and they've all had to face a big step up in standard and quality.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
If this is meaningful I don't see why you think it's funny.

I am very confused by the narrative on this thread. It seems there is some sort of plot being hatched that half of us appear to be too clueless to understand. I class myself in the clueless half.

I'd better spend some time today boning up with the Ladybird Book of Football.

It's "funny" because [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] is trying to prove with facts that our scoring hasn't regressed. I'd rather contend it has in the last 7 games, which has led to a regression this season.

Yes, you really can prove anything you like with facts. Surely as an academic you appreciate this.

But now it's the fans' fault and Saint Graham lives on.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Nail. Head.

:goal:

Which just leaves me to point out, before departing to do some actual work that

a) Graham Potter insisted on bringing in his own recruitment guy who has been here for three seasons and
b) While we're waiting I'm not sure it's a good idea to play Man City football with Watford players :shrug:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

oh I loved Vicente but we'll never get anyone like him again, total fluke by Poyet. Besides, we were probably (more often) less effective when he was playing (but it was worth it as a fan).

As for the article, there wouldn't have been this headline if there hadn't been the previous who ha re the "booing". Tabloid journalism posing in a broadsheet. Nothing to see here.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Yup. Good to know its seen as ok on NSC and in British media to fabricate quotes however. Could have a lot of fun with that.

TV and newspapers cant call Boris Johnson a liar because it might be seen as libellous, however you can make up quotes from people. Interesting.

you really don’t like us Brits, Britain at all do you.
never have a good word but, much like you love to criticise anyone on here who may not tow the ‘Potter is the Messiah’ mantra as ‘jumping on the bandwagon’ and belittling them for ‘looking for any excuse’ to moan about Potter, you do the same with anything anti Brit.

If you really detest us as much as your constant snipes appear, then just F the hell off.

Brighton and Hove Albion supporters were here long before you and it may surprise you to learn they will be here long after you’ve pissed off when you follow your sweetheart Potter to wherever he goes next.

The same for Britain and us Brits, there’s much about it and us that ain’t right, but overall we are not a bad bunch and it’s a country where many would give their eye teeth to live in ….

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
oh I loved Vicente but we'll never get anyone like him again, total fluke by Poyet. Besides, we were probably (more often) less effective when he was playing (but it was worth it as a fan).

As for the article, there wouldn't have been this headline if there hadn't been the previous who ha re the "booing". Tabloid journalism posing in a broadsheet. Nothing to see here.

Oh there's no doubt Vicente being here was just full on weird and he was quite disruptive for team spirit but my point was the man never played a hoof in his life. Just dribble, beat someone, create space, pass it forward. Every. Single. Time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's "funny" because [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] is trying to prove with facts that our scoring hasn't regressed. I'd rather contend it has in the last 7 games, which has led to a regression this season.

Yes, you really can prove anything you like with facts. Surely as an academic you appreciate this.

Come on. We all agree we need better players. I never said Potter was a saint. I always saw him more as an EL Wisty type :wink:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Blimey, is that what I said was it. Well done for twisting that so you can get your little internet win on a Monday. :rolleyes:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

a) Graham Potter insisted on bringing in his own recruitment guy who has been here for three seasons and
b) While we're waiting I'm not sure it's a good idea to play Man City football with Watford players :shrug:

:lolol:

Yes, there is a wry, spry crisp and dry point in that. I shall raise one eyebrow and bugger off myself for a bit. Enjoy your day :thumbsup:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

a) yeah Kyle is one of a hundred people working with recruitment in BHAFC...
b) it seems to be a lot better than playing Watford football with Watford players

No.

WE would score more goals if we attacked more directly and effectively.

Not much indicating that is the case. Not the most up to date stats but (after 15 games) Burnley, Watford, Aston Villa and Everton were the most direct teams in the league. Three out of those four are also together with Brighton & Norwich in the bottom 5 number of goals scored.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
In some respects the way some fans react to things Potter, Barber, or whoever DIDNT actually say, reminds me of the "My wife is mad at me for something I said in her dream" scenario,

Its like the "Bissouma says he is the best in the Prem "story, when he didnt actually declare himself the best at all , and what he did say made perfect sense, and wasn't arrogant in the slightest

There are plenty of things to perhaps question our players and management on, there is no need to resort to "fake news" to do it

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
you really don’t like us Brits, Britain at all do you.
never have a good word but, much like you love to criticise anyone on here who may not tow the ‘Potter is the Messiah’ mantra as ‘jumping on the bandwagon’ and belittling them for ‘looking for any excuse’ to moan about Potter, you do the same with anything anti Brit.

If you really detest us as much as your constant snipes appear, then just F the hell off.

Brighton and Hove Albion supporters were here long before you and it may surprise you to learn they will be here long after you’ve pissed off when you follow your sweetheart Potter to wherever he goes next.

The same for Britain and us Brits, there’s much about it and us that ain’t right, but overall we are not a bad bunch and it’s a country where many would give their eye teeth to live in ….

Sorry if I offended you.

I retract my statement that it is bad that British media has a habit of making things up about random people while mediating opinions and sweeping things under the rugs about those in power due to the fear of getting sued. Its great stuff and might take you places you couldnt even imagine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports