Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray to Norwich ???

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Slagging off Murray is fine, but Gus not?

As you say, it's all about opinions and we beg to differ.

I didn't actually mean to slag Murray off as such, but maybe it came across that way, which I regret.

The point I really wanted to make was that he can be a supreme sulk if things don't go his way. Will history repeat itself if he's denied a move to the Premier League?

I edited my previous post with this link, http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?156268-Glenn-Murray-wanker&highlight=murray which is quite illuminating.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
As a Withdean and away games regular in the 2009/10 and 2010/2011 seasons, did you really say that at the time and put it into words on NSC?

At the time, for example in the South Stand, I recall him either being adored, or the waiverers coming round to saying Murray is very good as a striker and support player.

The moment he left, many got over it by rewriting history portraying him as a waste of space, or falling for lies that Gus wanted to keep him on a generous new contract.

You appear to have some info on the Murray situation - I have also defended Murray - make no mistake, he wanted to stay and ultimately Gus/Bloom did not want him. The money issue is a red herring - our loss, palaces gain. I said at the time that it was very narrow minded not renewing his contract earlier as he had sell on value - even if Gus did not rate him.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The massive re-writing of history re: Murray was that he was shit in his first 2 seasons with us. He really, really wasn't. He was one of our best players, and scored 1 every 2 games in ALL 3 seasons. Yes he had a mad few games when his head clearly wasn't right but even in amongst that he was capable of sublime football.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Just seen the Guardian reporting that Murray is on circa £13,000 per week currently and they are looking at offering a new contract to deflect interest from Norwich. Big salary (alongside chunky signing on fee no doubt) for a player that Gus said was the hardest to manage and get the best out of and was not proven in the Championship. You can understand why Gus felt it best to invest such wages in others. Hindsight says it was a mistake especially if, as rumoured, CMS is on much more than this but you cannot blame Gus for making the decision he did if the £13k is true.

If Palace's wage structure can readilly accommodate such high wages they will be desperate for the Zaha cash given their struggles in getting people through the turnstiles, they must be losing shedloads of money.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Much as I was delighted we signed CMS, I have always been extremely pissed off we let Murray go so easily, and no I don't buy into the money being an issue excuse. Gus was convinced he could do better with CMS and Hoskins, it was a bad decision pure and simple, just wish Gus was man enough to now come out and actually admit he got it wrong. This actually irks me more than the fact that he is knocking them in for fun at Palace.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If Palace's wage structure can readilly accommodate such high wages they will be desperate for the Zaha cash given their struggles in getting people through the turnstiles, they must be losing shedloads of money.

I think they have a simple answer to that though. Get to 10 points ahead of where they should be, pull the rug and give all their creditors 1% of what they're owed. Worked before.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If he doesnt ask for a transfer the 5% of the transfer fee will come in very handy so would expect him to say yes to a move. If it doesnt work out somebody would come in for him and take him back to The Championship or Div 1 , and another 5%, so it is a win win situation for him

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He deserves a crack at the PL, good luck to the fella.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Much as I was delighted we signed CMS, I have always been extremely pissed off we let Murray go so easily, and no I don't buy into the money being an issue excuse. Gus was convinced he could do better with CMS and Hoskins, it was a bad decision pure and simple, just wish Gus was man enough to now come out and actually admit he got it wrong. This actually irks me more than the fact that he is knocking them in for fun at Palace.

What? You want Gus Poyet to undermine some current Albion players by publicly saying that he was wrong to get rid of Murray and how his replacements haven't lived up to expectations?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What? You want Gus Poyet to undermine some current Albion players by publicly saying that he was wrong to get rid of Murray and how his replacements haven't lived up to expectations?

Nope I'd just like him to say he made a mistake, no need to then slag off what we have. Murray and CMS would have been a BLINDING combination in this league and Murray would also have chipped in with his very good defensive qualities. If you're happy for him to say nowt fair enough but it was a massivel blunder...imo. The talk about wages was just appeasing waffle, again just imo.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Glenn Murray would jump at the opportunity to go and play in the premier league, he's 29 years old, it could be his only chance.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Nope I'd just like him to say he made a mistake, no need to then slag off what we have. Murray and CMS would have been a BLINDING combination in this league and Murray would also have chipped in with his very good defensive qualities. If you're happy for him to say nowt fair enough but it was a massivel blunder...imo and the waffle about wages is just that waffle, again just imo.

The problem with the media, not to mention how some people read it, is the black and white quality of some of the reporting. I get what you are saying. It's a point that has validity. However, the potential for it to be interpreted as dissatisfaction with his current strike force is immense, especially with Gus' somewhat idiosyncratic use of the English language. People will be able to twist what is said, and it's not a fire-fighting battle worth fighting. There are no benefits from saying a mistake was made over Murray.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Glenn Murray would jump at the opportunity to go and play in the premier league, he's 29 years old, it could be his only chance.

There are few players in the country more happy at their club than Murray is at Palace. Why would he leave now when we're as likely to be playing top flight football next season as Norwich and Villa?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
There are few players in the country more happy at their club than Murray is at Palace. Why would he leave now when we're as likely to be playing top flight football next season as Norwich and Villa?

You're as likely to be playing top flight football as two current premier league sides? Righto.

I'm thinking that a much bigger wage packet would tempt him to move. He has sold his soul before...

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Hmm that is a big leap of faith, you have to get there and Norwich certainly have a very good chance of staying there, but carry on dreaming. It's not like you're in great form and running away with the league, either, your current form is exactly the same as ours :rolleyes: Have you had many key players out for long so far btw?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Murray will have an almighty sulk if you try to deny him a move to Norwich.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Norwich are currently 12th you f***ing imbecile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here