Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray to Norwich ???

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I've thought for some time that Murray is the next Holt/Lambert in that he's done his bit in the lower leagues & progressed the higher he's gone. So wouldn't be at all surprised if he didn't do well at Norwich or similar. Which would scupper that lots promotion chances. But would reinforce the view that it's Gus' biggest bollock dropper to date.

Did you really think that when he left us? I didn't and I'm quite surprised by the way he's seemingly progressed this season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hope they do get him so we can get a bit of Murray mania off NSC for a while.

It wasn't that he signed for CP, it's just Gus for some arrogant reason didn't want to give a reasonably low Championship salary to by far and away our best striker and forward, leaving many Albion fans gutted; particularly as the bought and borrowed replacements haven't been a patch on Murray which has cost us big time.

Biggest blunder by Gus by far, but he'll go to grave thinking he knew best.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Did you really think that when he left us? I didn't and I'm quite surprised by the way he's seemingly progressed this season.

Yes, I did. Huge similarities with how Holt & Lambert have learnt their trade at lower league level and have progressed with better quality players around them feeding their strengths be it in the air or on the ground. He'll do well at mid- lower prem now and will forever be the biggest bollock Gus has dropped.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Yes, I did. Huge similarities with how Holt & Lambert have learnt their trade at lower league level and have progressed with better quality players around them feeding their strengths be it in the air or on the ground. He'll do well at mid- lower prem now and will forever be the biggest bollock Gus has dropped.

From what I heard it wasn't just Poyet, the board didn't want to go out on a limb to break the wage structure and Poyet wasn't convinced he was a player that good enough to justify that. I agreed with that decision at the time but it now looks bad with the benefit of hindsight.
Isn't hindsight great :facepalm:

Last edited:

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011

Withdean regulars will remember not only his fantastic goal scoring either headed, by poaching, or spectacular finishes but also great hold up play, defensive headers, or vision to play in Barnes, Wood, Bennett or Calderon.

A class act, who could do a job for a PL team.

The pay he wanted is out there, and it is a fraction of what MANY of the current Albion squad are on. Gus just made a major error. Simple.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
From what I heard it wasn't just Poyet, the board didn't want to go out on a limb to break the wage structure and Poyet wasn't convinced he was a player that good enough to justify that. I agreed with that decision at the time but it no looks bad with the benefit of hindsight.
Isn't hindsight great :facepalm:

Not true. The Board went with Gus's judgement. Many of the 2011 and 2012 entrants are paid far in excess. Palace were skint but met the low wage aspirations of Murray in his final professional contract.

Masses of Albion fans rated Murray very highly. At the fans day Easter 2011 at Withdean, 100's mobbed him for his autograph, several times that of Calderon, Greer or anyone else.
They recognised his contribution to the revival of the club but Gus just didn't want to do a deal.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Withdean regulars will remember not only his fantastic goal scoring either headed, by poaching, or spectacular finishes but also great hold up play, defensive headers, or vision to play in Barnes, Wood, Bennett or Calderon.

We also remember the two fairly average seasons prior to that.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Not true. The Board went with Gus's judgement. Many of the 2011 and 2012 entrants are paid far in excess. Palace were skint but met the low wage aspirations of Murray in his final professional contract.

Masses of Albion fans rated Murray very highly. At the fans day Easter 2011 at Withdean, 100's mobbed him for his autograph, several times that of Calderon, Greer or anyone else.
They recognised his contribution to the revival of the club but Gus just didn't want to do a deal.

How good is your source ??? You can PM me if you don't wish to state it publicly.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011

Season before (including the 3-1 drubbing of high spending Stains) - from where we were all sitting, he played well and was liked by the fans. He link up play was great and once we got some class players in like Calderon to read it, it all shaped up nicely.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
True, but in that last season,could you see a Lambert/Holt style progression? Cos I and loads of others did. And could see that he & not CMS was the guy you built the team around!

Yes, that season we hardly ever won when he didn't play and he was good in a system with two good wide players (like palarse now).
I'm not sure how you can levitate him to the status of someone who you build the team round?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

And I am sure that most remember last season as well. Huge gamble by Norwich, I would say, on a player who has had a good 5 months in the Championship, that's all. I do, however, see it as more likely than them buying CMS, but we will see.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

A class act, who could do a job for a PL team.

The pay he wanted is out there, and it is a fraction of what MANY of the current Albion squad are on. Gus just made a major error. Simple.

Withdean regulars will also remember his failure to chase back after losing the ball & his outspoken desire to leave in 3 consecutive summers. He'll leave palace in a shot but give it a load of spin to make em think it was the 'SO' difficult etc etc so like on here people don't dislike him as much as they really should for his pathetic disloyalty

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Does he? Glenn's move to Palace looks like a great one in football terms, regardless of the money involved.

Obviously if Norwich "offer enough" he'll go, but it'll need to be a hell of a lot of money. If Murray left it'd put a big dent in our promotion hopes, and I don't think we could buy anyone better. How much would you have to pay for the highest goalscorer in English football, signed from a club who don't want to sell and are trying to get promoted?

Glenn is worth a lot more to us than he is to anyone in the PL, which is why they won't pay the money we'd want.
Norwich could easily double what you are paying...and we all know Murray would sell his soul for a few more shekels.
It is not a case of not wanting to go,a Palace mate said Dougie would never leave...nor Zaha nor Murray....watch this space....money talks loudly.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Yes,Norwich want CMS.....so do Leeds.....Norwich want Bridcutt and Southampton want Buckley..........who goes where and who comes in is anybodies guess.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Hooray. Someone else who's no rewriting history. I was sorry to see him go as he clearly made us tick up front but personally I didn't think he had the pace to do as well in the Championship - thought he'd be pretty average. Turned out to be wrong but I could understand why Poyet decided the wages he wanted could be spent better elsewhere. That and the fact that he didn't really fit in with a lot of the squad. not exactly a bundle of joy around the place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here