Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray to Norwich ???

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
In his case "enough" is 3k more a week.

£3k a week is £150k per year. I could see most people (regardless of industry) moving employers to rivals for a pay rise of that amount.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I love the timing of this.

Likely to drag on throughout January leaving him distracted and pissed off throughout the month and maybe beyond.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Norwich could easily double what you are paying...and we all know Murray would sell his soul for a few more shekels.
It is not a case of not wanting to go,a Palace mate said Dougie would never leave...nor Zaha nor Murray....watch this space....money talks loudly.

Regarding the bitter shekels jibe, Murray's Albion pay was at one fifth of that of a stack of Albion and other Championship strikers.

In quite possibly the last lengthy contract of his career, Murray wanted a decent (but far far lower than the likes of CMS) pay rise, but arrogant Gus made it a cause célèbre not to reward Murray.

Our loss and Palace's gain.

Unlike Young and O'Reilly ultimately ending up at the 'enemy', this one was in our hands, and Gus blew it rating the more costly solution of CMS and Hoskins as the golden solution. Well done.

FinchleyEagle

Nov 19, 2012
Murray is excellent when you play to his strengths and give him the service, its that simple I think. He works very hard, is a great finisher and no amount of money will replace him because the best strikers all go to the prem not to the champ. So whether we get £3m or £5m is irrelevant really. History tells me that all the best players come from our academy (like Clyne, Scannell, Moses, Zaha, Williams) or suddenly click at your team (Bolasie, Jedinak, KG). FFS really was unusual in that he had a track record and then has actually delivered.

I hope hes not as sulky as you lot suggest (Havent seen any evidence of it ourselves) and is keen to stay. Because if he isnt, then that, probably more than Zaha leaving will derail our season and you lot can enjoy yourselves. We shall see...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Murray is excellent when you play to his strengths and give him the service, its that simple I think. He works very hard, is a great finisher and no amount of money will replace him because the best strikers all go to the prem not to the champ. So whether we get £3m or £5m is irrelevant really. History tells me that all the best players come from our academy (like Clyne, Scannell, Moses, Zaha, Williams) or suddenly click at your team (Bolasie, Jedinak, KG). FFS really was unusual in that he had a track record and then has actually delivered.

I hope hes not as sulky as you lot suggest (Havent seen any evidence of it ourselves) and is keen to stay. Because if he isnt, then that, probably more than Zaha leaving will derail our season and you lot can enjoy yourselves. We shall see...

Murray wasn't a sulker at the Albion, although a vocal minority slammed him in the earlier seasons if he didn't chase back.

He is shy which comes across as an awkward character. You got a class act.

If he left you lot now, it would be devastating I think, because through all the width, pace and power you have in midfield, he has the rarity of being a natural and regular finisher.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Murray wasn't a sulker at the Albion, although a vocal minority slammed him in the earlier seasons if he didn't chase back.

He is shy which comes across as an awkward character. You got a class act.

If he left you lot now, it would be devastating I think, because through all the width, pace and power you have in midfield, he has the rarity of being a natural and regular finisher.

Disagree to be honest. Can't remember a bigger sulker at the albion, ever.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
I love the timing of this.

Likely to drag on throughout January leaving him distracted and pissed off throughout the month and maybe beyond.

A bit like the news of bridcott acquiring a new agent and with the rumours of buckle over and CMS going the timing isn't great for you either is it !

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
No matter what any Palace fans say, if Murray had a sniff of a prem move he will be off.

Not because of money or lack of loyalty but at his age it's probably going to be the only chance he gets and despite palaces lofty league position he isn't guaranteed a shot at the prem with them

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Why would Norwich offer Brighton £3million for CMS when that very amount was turned down by Brighton in August ????????

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Why would Norwich offer Brighton £3million for CMS when that very amount was turned down by Brighton in August ????????

We couldn't accept an offer as the proper attacking striker we needed to sign didn't materialise

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
People seem to forget Murray had a double hernia problem with us which dragged on for ages which might explain his less successful seasons, and in any case he was always solid without being prolific. I love the bloke personally absolutely class act and would be delighted to see him play in the PL even with Palace.

If Holt can do it Murray can.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Disagree to be honest. Can't remember a bigger sulker at the albion, ever.

As a Withdean and away games regular in the 2009/10 and 2010/2011 seasons, did you really say that at the time and put it into words on NSC?

At the time, for example in the South Stand, I recall him either being adored, or the waiverers coming round to saying Murray is very good as a striker and support player.

The moment he left, many got over it by rewriting history portraying him as a waste of space, or falling for lies that Gus wanted to keep him on a generous new contract.

FinchleyEagle

Nov 19, 2012
People seem to forget Murray had a double hernia problem with us which dragged on for ages which might explain his less successful seasons, and in any case he was always solid without being prolific. I love the bloke personally absolutely class act and would be delighted to see him play in the PL even with Palace.

If Holt can do it Murray can.

Absolutely agree. However as has been mentioned above you couldn't begrudge him a move to the prem. Loyalty is only for fans.

The disappointing thing for me is that you would hope that the players would focus on getting up with Palace seeing as playing in the team we have assembled has got them noticed... So it goes !

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As a Withdean and away games regular in the 2009/10 and 2010/2011 seasons, did you really say that at the time and put it into words on NSC?

At the time, for example in the South Stand, I recall him either being adored, or the waiverers coming round to saying Murray is very good as a striker and support player.

The moment he left, many got over it by rewriting history portraying him as a waste of space, or falling for lies that Gus wanted to keep him on a generous new contract.

Not on NSC, but had many discussions at the time about Murray's poor attitude. It's about opinions, I thought Murray was a sulky and negative personality - was it 2 transfer requests handed in? Was it at Brentford where he was a moody tosser? This board was in uproar at the time.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?156268-Glenn-Murray-wanker&highlight=murray

You defend him and stick up for him, slagging Gus off in the process, which is your right, but really there is no rewriting of history going on.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not on NSC, but had many discussions at the time about Murray's poor attitude. It's about opinions, I thought Murray was a sulky and negative personality - was it 2 transfer requests handed in? Was it at Brentford where he was a moody tosser? This board was in uproar at the time.

You defend him and stick up for him, slagging Gus off in the process, which is your right, but really there is no rewriting of history going on.

Slagging off Murray is fine, but Gus not?

As you say, it's all about opinions and we beg to differ.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

Much like you've been doing then since he buggered off up the A23.

FWIW, I always thought he had a great deal of talent - & showed it when he could be arsed - but his form this season has been far beyond anything that could have been reasonably predicted at this level. Would you have been bangin' on about how fantastic he is if his form this year had followed last season's standards? Yeah, 'course you would... :rolleyes:

And regarding the decision to let him go after securing the L1 title, you blame the manager for pulling the financial plug on him & waving him out the door but fail to take into account the finances of the club at the time; the roll played by TB in the decision making process; & Glenn Murray's desire for a hefty signing-on fee due to financial issues brought about by his relationship break-up.

If you love the bloke so much, maybe you should follow his lead & get yourself a ST at Palarse. No doubt there's plenty of empty seats available, so you can take your pick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here