Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gay boys, Gay boys what's the score.....

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Homophobic chanting is unacceptable in this day and age.

A person's sexuality is not a lifestyle choice, like being a chav etc, so to compare songs about chav's etc is inaccurate.

Granted, I don't think anyone goes home having had their day at football ruined by anti-gay chants.

But it is impossible to draw a line between what is acceptable in the context of a football ground and what is acceptable elsewhere.

Quite simply, there is not a point where one stops and another starts. Do kids at football hearing 10,000 take the piss out of a supposedly gay team not take that on board?

I love football banter. But the odd line about someone being Northern, a bit chav or a little tubby is not the same as homophobia - however soft it may be and however few people get annoyed by it.

Tribalism is fine, homophobia and racism are not.

And the songs are really shit anyway...Likewise the tedious crap about being a "small town near..." somewhere they are usually not that geographically close to.

Some would say being a pikey / chav isn't a lifestyle choice. You can be born into it. Being Welsh definitely isn't. And for some people, being gay is a lifestyle choice.

I'm sure kids do take it on board, but I'm also sure it's no worse than anything they hear in the playground.

And apart from anything else, as Frutos has already stated, these chants aren't even hompohobic anyway. Why is everyone so quick to get offended on other people's behalf? It's ridiculous.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I doubt you would find many gay people who say they have decide to be homosexual because of a lifestyle choice Commander.

And as I have said, I am not getting offended on other people's behalf. I just would like to think that in 2011 people were perhaps a little beyond homophobic chanting.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
And as I have said, I am not getting offended on other people's behalf. I just would like to think that in 2011 people were perhaps a little beyond homophobic chanting.

Somone drinking a skinny latte in the Lanes? quite possibly. A stand full of pissed up football fans In Huddersfield? Definately not.

I think Commanders got this one spot on. These chants are here to stay for the foreseeable future. I'd rather we came up with different words to the YMCA than get all worked up about it.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Somone drinking a skinny latte in the Lanes? quite possibly. A stand full of pissed up football fans In Huddersfield? Definately not.

I think Commanders got this one spot on. These chants are here to stay for the foreseeable future. I'd rather we came up with different words to the YMCA than get all worked up about it.

I doubt you would find many gay people who say they have decide to be homosexual because of a lifestyle choice Commander.

Perhaps not, but by that comment you say that you could find some, which is what I was getting at. Although they probably wouldn't admit it.

Exactly. Football has always been a working class man's game. OK that may seem to be changing now, but you are looking at it from the perspective of someone living in a nice forward-thinking affluent county in the South East, not from the perspective of an average football fan living in some northern hell-hole with nothing else to do than abuse a load of southern fairies every Saturday afternoon.

And yes, learning the words to YMCA is the right attitude, not saying "I think people should be a little beyond homophobic chanting in 2011". Apart from anything else, you cant fit that into a football song. Although it would be funny if you could. Feel free to try.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Perhaps not, but by that comment you say that you could find some, which is what I was getting at. Although they probably wouldn't admit it.

I get your other points - but to suggest homosexuality is ever a lifestyle choice is probably more offensive than the chants...it clearly is not.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I get your other points - but to suggest homosexuality is ever a lifestyle choice is probably more offensive than the chants...it clearly is not.

That is so wrong Walt, I am sure there are thousands of males in this country who get up in the morning, wander down to the kitchen, and say to themselves, 'Toast.......no, Weetabix.....no, I know I'll have some COCK for breakfast for a change, and within seconds they are buying flowers and looking at the Habitat brochure for new cushions'.

Happens all the time round where I live x

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

That is so wrong Walt, I am sure there are thousands of males in this country who get up in the morning, wander down to the kitchen, and say to themselves, 'Toast.......no, Weetabix.....no, I know I'll have some COCK for breakfast for a change, and within seconds they are buying flowers and looking at the Habitat brochure for new cushions'.

Happens all the time round where I live x
I presumed that Commander was talking about bi-sexual men (because he referred to 'some gay men') who in the end choose to spend their time with another man as opposed to a woman. That's a lifestyle choice isn't it? Although clearly doesn't apply to most gay men.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I'm not so sure. Not in the vast majority of cases, obviously, but it is fashionable to be gay these days. For people who are confused about their sexuality, in this day and age it is much easier for them to decide that they are gay than it was 20 years ago. El Pres' example wasn't quite what I was getting at!

I do believe Commander has changed my mind.

Its is a very fine line though.

Blimey, that is a first. I didn't think that ever happened on NSC! You've made my day. And to think I almost didn't bother coming in to work today.

I presumed that Commander was talking about bi-sexual men (because he referred to 'some gay men') who in the end choose to spend their time with another man as opposed to a woman. That's a lifestyle choice isn't it? Although clearly doesn't apply to most gay men.

That would be one example, yes. Wasn't really what I was getting at though, to be honest.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Could be, though if you are rice and chips then it could be that you just prefer Man X to Woman Y, just as you or I might prefer Woman A to Woman B because we are more compatible with that one person than the other (and she swallows).

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The fact that some people consider homosexuality a lifestyle choice is MENTAL.

I don't "consider it a lifestyle choice" but I do think that young people who are confused about their sexuality are much more likely to decide they are gay in this day and age than they were 20 years ago. In fact, I think some feel almost pushed into it. But that is another issue anyway, I'm just glad that I've managed to convince someone today that it is a GOOD thing to have a load of northern inbreds chanting GAY BOYS at them.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I don't "consider it a lifestyle choice" but I do think that young people who are confused about their sexuality are much more likely to decide they are gay in this day and age than they were 20 years ago. In fact, I think some feel almost pushed into it. But that is another issue anyway, I'm just glad that I've managed to convince someone today that it is a GOOD thing to have a load of northern inbreds chanting GAY BOYS at them.
I agree and i could never work out why so many people are bisexual:glare:
You shag a bird and you are straight then you shag a bloke and you are gay,bloody ridiculous if you ask me.

Bloody messed up confused people

BeepBeepImaJeep

Farewell and adieu....
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Commander you're basically saying people calling other people gay boys to insult them isn't homophobic. That's point of view is.... different. In Canada these sorts of chants never come up so I'm not too bothered about it. Britain hasn't made it to 2010 yet. One day hopefully.

You shag a bird and you are straight then you shag a bloke and you are gay,bloody ridiculous if you ask me.

I would say you're more confused than they are. It's quite simple, really.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

On my extensive DVD collection there are plenty of women who start off munching the Axminster, but as soon as a bloke turns up they are back on solids.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Numberwise, I'd agree we're on a different level to most. In terms of quantity/quality of songs, noise we've created in the last couple of years, we're below par.

I think we are a bit hit and miss. Charlton was awesome, and there have been similar experiences too, but Southampton and Huddersfield were a wee bit quiet, although excellent numbers turned out.

FC United have set a standard though!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Commander you're basically saying people calling other people gay boys to insult them isn't homophobic. That's point of view is.... different.

Well the only openly gay person to have posted on this thread agrees with me, so it cant be that far wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here