Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gay boys, Gay boys what's the score.....

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The best retort from homophobic chanting EVER was at Wolves a few year ago...Hoddle was their manager and taking stick, but after a while we all got bored and a mexican wave started. At one point it came to a halt and the Wolves fans chanted...." Brighton Brighton give us the wave" or "Start the wave" something like that and ALL the Brighton fans waved to teh Wolves fans ina very camp way going wooohooo etc.

Well they should have all been banned for life, there is no place for homophobia in football. I'm sure lots of the crowd would have been so offended.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
There IS place for homophobia in football. Same as there IS place for calling Palace pikeys. I'm not talking about queer bashing, I'm talking about us having the piss taken out of us for coming from the gay capital of the country, and us taking the piss out of Palace for coming from a shit hole like Croydon. If you are honestly so offended by it then you shouldn't go.

The gay chants are boring, most of them anyway, every now and then some supporters come up with an original one, but I do not think they are offensive. And with regards black players / bananas, there is a huge difference between throwing a banana at a black player and singing a song like "Gay boys what's the score" to a 1000 people who come from the gay capital of the UK, 95% of who aren't gay.

Should we stop ever singing "You fat bastard" at fat bastards? What if it offends them? Is there a place for fatism in football?

You are missing a very big point. It is illegal to sing homophobic chants in just the same way as racist chants. Homophobic abuse can land you in court. Try calling a police officer a queer, poof or dyke and you will end up being charged with a public order offence.
Fatism, inbredism etc isn't although the 'pikey' and Welsh chants could be interpreted as racism (but isn't as it's 'banter')

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
There IS place for homophobia in football. Same as there IS place for calling Palace pikeys. I'm not talking about queer bashing, I'm talking about us having the piss taken out of us for coming from the gay capital of the country, and us taking the piss out of Palace for coming from a shit hole like Croydon. If you are honestly so offended by it then you shouldn't go.
The gay chants are boring, most of them anyway, every now and then some supporters come up with an original one, but I do not think they are offensive. And with regards black players / bananas, there is a huge difference between throwing a banana at a black player and singing a song like "Gay boys what's the score" to a 1000 people who come from the gay capital of the UK, 95% of who aren't gay.

Should we stop ever singing "You fat bastard" at fat bastards? What if it offends them? Is there a place for fatism in football?[/QUOTE]

There you go again. With respect, who are you to tell me I shouldn't go to a game of football because I personally find some of the chanting/attitudes offensive? I'm certainly not one who thinks it should be a sanitised experience, but at times the 'banter' definitely crosses a line, and if people want to highlight such times - then I can't see it's another nail in the free speech coffin, frankly.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Try calling a police officer a queer, poof or dyke and you will end up being charged with a public order offence.
Fatism, inbredism etc isn't although the 'pikey' and Welsh chants could be interpreted as racism (but isn't as it's 'banter')

It does seem strange that bumfunfoolery chants are illegal but bestiality ones are acceptable.

I have heard one set of fans chanting 'One Nil to the Nancy Boys' quite a lot this season, perhaps they should be arrested too?

Too many people are precious about chanting, they really should get over themselves.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
It does seem strange that bumfunfoolery chants are illegal but bestiality ones are acceptable.

I have heard one set of fans chanting 'One Nil to the Nancy Boys' quite a lot this season, perhaps they should be arrested too?

Too many people are precious about chanting, they really should get over themselves.

I didn't make the law, just pointing out what the law says.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I didn't make the law, just pointing out what the law says.

But I think you are wrong, calling someone a 'Queer' is not homophobic as far as I am aware, as it is used in common speech and in programs such as 'Queer as Folk', which used to be shown on the liberal Channel 4, neither is 'Gay Boys, Gay Boys, what's the score'. The only thing offensive about the latter is that we were losing :( at the time.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
You are missing a very big point. It is illegal to sing homophobic chants in just the same way as racist chants. Homophobic abuse can land you in court. Try calling a police officer a queer, poof or dyke and you will end up being charged with a public order offence.

It is also illegal to be drunk in a sports ground and stand up in the seated areas. How many of our fans do that every week? Should they all be arrested? And there is a difference in personally calling a police officer a poof to chanting "Gay boys, what's the score" at a thousand people, 95% of which aren't gay.

There you go again. With respect, who are you to tell me I shouldn't go to a game of football because I personally find some of the chanting/attitudes offensive? I'm certainly not one who thinks it should be a sanitised experience, but at times the 'banter' definitely crosses a line, and if people want to highlight such times - then I can't see it's another nail in the free speech coffin, frankly.

I am just saying that football in 2010 is more sterile, less offensive, and more family friendly than it has EVER been, so for you to be getting all offended by some other supporters taking the piss out of you, then perhaps it is not for you. Why would you go to something if it offends you? X Factor offends me, that's why I don't watch it. I just cant understand how you can have coped watching football 20 years ago, if the stuff that goes on in this country today offends you. Have you ever been to games abroad!!??

Exactly. Get over yourselves. At least you're not getting "You're gonna get your f***ing heads kicked in" anymore.

you're comparing homosexuality with bestiality?

this thread gets better and better.

i'm off.

:flounce:

Er, I'm not sure he was comparing the two. That would possibly be crossing the line a little. He was saying that is acceptable for us to sing about Welsh people being bestialitists (an illegal and unsavoury concept), but not for other fans to call us gay boys (perfectly legal). Why?

Last edited:

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
It is also illegal to be drunk in a sports ground and stand up in the seated areas. How many of our fans do that every week? Should they all be arrested?

They are ground regulations and will earn you a banning order, but they are not a criminal offence.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
They are ground regulations and will earn you a banning order, but they are not a criminal offence.

Incorrect, I was arrested for being drunk in a Sports Ground (an outrageous allegation) at Rotherham about 8 years ago. I received a police caution. That means it is a criminal offence, surely?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The bottom line ( ooh errr missus) is until societys attitude differentiates between banter and illegal insult then you will always get this sort of issue.

Commander is right..football has changed as has society. It was acceptable to chant racist stuff at black people I remember a song coming from the North stand " Who's the black bitch on the pitch". Now make any sort of innocent remark about a player ( I notice some Argie comments against Battipedi the other day at the FCUM game) and it is frowned upon as it should be. Society has changed in many ways....smoking and picking up dog mess by owners are good examples.

All this gay chanting stuff tends to be because some people think its a laafffff....well good for them.

the answer is to rise above it and laff back. If you are seriously offended by it, then by all means contact the local steward...then a police officer, then the ground safety officer, then the club secretary, then the FA/Football league....that is the last resort.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Incorrect, I was arrested for being drunk in a Sports Ground (an outrageous allegation) at Rotherham about 8 years ago. I received a police caution. That means it is a criminal offence, surely?

Yeah, you're right - although I thought the specific charge was concerned with attempting to enter a sports ground whilst incoholically disadvantaged?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yeah, whats wrong with abit of monkey chanting. Good on you.

Plonker.

Yeah El Pres, you big racist. I saw you advocating monkey chanting, we all did.

The bottom line ( ooh errr missus) is until societys attitude differentiates between banter and illegal insult then you will always get this sort of issue.

Commander is right..football has changed as has society. It was acceptable to chant racist stuff at black people I remember a song coming from the North stand " Who's the black bitch on the pitch". Now make any sort of innocent remark about a player ( I notice some Argie comments against Battipedi the other day at the FCUM game) and it is frowned upon as it should be. Society has changed in many ways....smoking and picking up dog mess by owners are good examples.

All this gay chanting stuff tends to be because some people think its a laafffff....well good for them.

the answer is to rise above it and laff back. If you are seriously offended by it, then by all means contact the local steward...then a police officer, then the ground safety officer, then the club secretary, then the FA/Football league....that is the last resort.

I can just imagine going to tell the local steward "Those nasty men in that stand over there are calling me a gay boy and I am offended by it!" I wonder what they'd say?

Yeah, you're right - although I thought the specific charge was concerned with attempting to enter a sports ground whilst incoholically disadvantaged?

Well I was certainly that, to be fair.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here